Geographic 26' Restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #1

Trailer:
The owner of this amazing trailer has sent me some photos which some of you may want to see. Here is what he wrote:
<blockquote>"What made this trailer quite authentic is the fact that it came with the original sales receipt, travel plans, original advertising brochures and news paper articles, original Magic Chef appliances and even a complete set of MelMac dishes and more.

It was designed by an airoplane engineer in Oregon and was shown in a Los Angeles show room until it was sold to the show room manager in 1961 for over $8,600.00. She died a few years ago and the kids sold it to some one who neglected it for a few more years. I don't think it was used for more than a dozen times.

Quite by accident, I saw it on a country road with a FOR SALE sign. I had never been familiar with trailers but I felt that it was something very unusual (most people think it is a boat) and yes, very much JETSON.

The first time I had it towed to LA, I was followed by some one who wanted to buy it and soon I found out that I had something unique. It seems to be the only one that was made for the showroom but it may have been too expensive to mass manufature."</blockquote>
The following pictures show:
- as it was found, for sale;
- the current state of restoration;
- (as I understand it) the current state of the interior;
- the floor plan;
- the magic chef appliances - note that the double burner units stow against the sidewall when not in use (who else would like that in their trailer?)
- the neat way the propane tanks fit in that 'spoiler' at the front.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
45_years_after_s.jpg   2006_Restoraration_1s.jpg  

2006_Restoration_2s.jpg   2006_Restoration_3s.jpg  

2006_Restoration_5s.jpg   Existing_interior_condition_1s.jpg  

Existing_interior_condition_2s.jpg   Existing_interior_condition_3s.jpg  

Floor_plan_s.jpg   Magic_Chef_Appliances_s.jpg  

Making_the_prototype_s.jpg  
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Way cool! How come I never see anything like that for sale on the side of the road?
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1985
Wowzeres, What an increadable find!!! Good luck on bringing it back to primo shape. It truly is Retro, Or Ret-Ro, as the Jetsons dog would say.
Randy and Renee
Via Con Dios
RJordanX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
What a beauty!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
I saw pictures of this exact same trailer a couple of months ago. I don't know if it was here and where I saw them. I want that stove feature in my house and the Burro. I was so impressed with this trailer that I printed out some of the pictures and had them up on the wall for a while. I love retro and this screams retro to me. Sure glad to hear someone is caring for this beauty. Love it, Love it, Love it.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wow! Cool! Neat!
Hope your ready for the parade to your door.Would look good on the water on pontoons.
There'll never be a problem when it comes time to sell there'll be another parade. What a coup!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
--><div class='quotemain'>
I saw pictures of this exact same trailer a couple of months ago. I don't know if it was here and where I saw them. I want that stove feature in my house and the Burro. I was so impressed with this trailer that I printed out some of the pictures and had them up on the wall for a while. I love retro and this screams retro to me. Sure glad to hear someone is caring for this beauty. Love it, Love it, Love it.
[/quote]

Ellen, how 'bout the pullman bath in the Walters house Cedar Rock by FLW in Quasqueton, IA? You could build one for your trailer!

Cedar Rock, the Walters House... note the pullman bathroom halfway down the page...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Oh Roger, I have seen a few pictures of the Cedar Rock house before, but not that many. Bathroom and Kitchen and that wonderful view are my favs. But I have to say the wood in the kitchen is a little darker than I like, but I could learn to live with it. Could you see yourself living in a place like that? I sure could, I would be in heaven. Never wanted to live that close to water but again I would find a way to adapt.

What? Did I hear you say, its ready and waiting for me to move in. Let me contact the post office and put in a change of address and pack a few of my retro things and I am ready to go.

Thanks Roger. I now have new retro pictures to plaster on my office walls. I can pretend when I walk out of my office that is what my house looks like. It never hurts for a girl to pretend now does it? I might need mental !!!!!!!!!!!
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
roger,

that trailer is so wonderful!!! how could all that be put on two wheels?

great stuff on flw. do you have anything on the Lloyd-Lewis house? it was built for a relative by marriage. i think in hinsdale ill. they complained to flw that the fireplace never worked correctly. ( i think i could deal with that to have the rest of the house. )

i've only found one reference to it and that was years ago. it must have been fabulous in the fifties, those folks had a genuine Tang Dynasty horse in their later marina towers apt. were very casual about it all.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geographic