1978 surfside waterpump - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1978 surfside triple e
BC
1978 surfside waterpump

First time hooking up a 12 volt pump.
Seems fairly straight forward but I do not want to lose the ability to use the hand pump in the event of total loss of power.
So the plan is to attach the water feed hose from the pump to the existing hand pump. My question is can I hook it directly to the pump and still be able to pump manually if need be or do I need to put in a directional valve where I can switch it from feeding water via the pump or directly from the holding tank.
Any input appreciated.
And yes I will be upgrading the hoses.
Erik F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
You would be best to install either a directional valve or a simple on -off valve in each line . Without a positive isolation when using the manual pump you will likely lose suction through the electric pump.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1978 surfside triple e
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
You would be best to install either a directional valve or a simple on -off valve in each line . Without a positive isolation when using the manual pump you will likely lose suction through the electric pump.
Thanks that is the plan. Planning on having a directional "Y" valve on the hose exiting the tank and then a shut off valve on the line feeding the pump and the line feeding the manual handpump. The valve to the handpump will stay closed unless I lose power and need to use it. Then I can close the valve to the 12 volt and maintain suction. But not sure if I should put the valve before or after the 12 volt, (probably before).
If it works, great. If not I will buy an electrical pump to replace the manual I now have.
Erik F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside