My ambitious Boler restoration - '79 Model - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #81

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Well, I also managed to take time to work on the Boler, finally.

Patched a large hole in the side (former Dometic fridge exhaust) with a flat sheet of FG, and applied two layers of fiber mat on the inside.

The finishing on the outside is still pending.

Well Done.........Trailer Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #82

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Looks good. How are you going to take care of the external groove? Will you only Bondo, or grind a groove and lay down glass, then Bondo?
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Looks good. How are you going to take care of the external groove? Will you only Bondo, or grind a groove and lay down glass, then Bondo?

Resin and glass MUST be applied to the outside also....trailer Dave
Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #84

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
Resin and glass MUST be applied to the outside also....trailer Dave
Dave, so what's the best procedure to get the outside looking perfect when you're faced with patching-in sections like Luis has here? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Dave, so what's the best procedure to get the outside looking perfect when you're faced with patching-in sections like Luis has here? Thanks.
From the picture the patch surface looks lower than the original surface, which is perfect, so, I would grind a 2 inch tapered area around the patch in the gel coat, also grinding the patch so nothing is put over an unground surface and put some resin fiberglass slightly bigger than the patched area, and then put another piece bigger than that, kind of bringing the surface even or slightly above. Sand to level with original surface or below, and apply filler (bondo) to feather into the surrounding surface...then polyester primer to finish blending the patch into the surrounding area............I feel the biggest mistake beginners make is the "I want to keep the repair as small as possible idea" as if a smaller repair shows less....it doesn't...make the repair as large as needed to blend into the surrounding area, and it won't show....try to keep it smaller than is needed, and it will show.........Trailer Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #86

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
From the picture the patch surface looks lower than the original surface, which is perfect, so, I would grind a 2 inch tapered area around the patch in the gel coat, also grinding the patch so nothing is put over an unground surface and put some resin fiberglass slightly bigger than the patched area, and then put another piece bigger than that, kind of bringing the surface even or slightly above. Sand to level with original surface or below, and apply filler (bondo) to feather into the surrounding surface...then polyester primer to finish blending the patch into the surrounding area............I feel the biggest mistake beginners make is the "I want to keep the repair as small as possible idea" as if a smaller repair shows less....it doesn't...make the repair as large as needed to blend into the surrounding area, and it won't show....try to keep it smaller than is needed, and it will show.........Trailer Dave
Thanks Dave! These are good tips and I'll plan to put them to good use.
Slav
Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #87

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Glad I read this Dave as I was going to Bondo in the areas around my "patches" which contradicts what you said. But you do use Bondo it appears just in the thinnest of amounts to bring everything together. I am used to the old car body man who looks inside a fender well and there is a Bondo patch the size of a basketball holding things together. I really only have the two patches from the fridge vents that I did. So I will duplicate what you told Slave above. I thought I was through with FGing now and onto Bondo but seems I have a bit more external work to do.
Thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #88

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
I did two layers on the outside, but may have missed the boat on grinding enough on the outer gel coat.

THe FG mat adhered well to the patch (Sanded) but left some areas of the "gap" unfilled.

I am concerned with leaks, and stress points, so will grind away again and apply more mat and resin...

Regards,
L
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #89

Washington
Quote:
I did two layers on the outside, but may have missed the boat on grinding enough on the outer gel coat.

THe FG mat adhered well to the patch (Sanded) but left some areas of the "gap" unfilled.

I am concerned with leaks, and stress points, so will grind away again and apply more mat and resin...

Regards,
L
Good plan, best now than after you paint and get a leak!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #90

Washington
Hey Luis, how is the project coming along?

I got a sub-floor question for you. Considering our floors are completely fiberglass with no wood planks imbedded, what are your plans for attaching your plywood? I have 6 locations where the body will be bolted to the frame, but I think this probably won't be enough for the rest of the floor...but then again, maybe that would be sufficient?

I would imagine putting in extra bolts in a few places to get the floor boards nice and tight and prevent any bounce during driving or buckling (?). What do you think?

Slav
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #91

Alberta
Registry
Plywood floor anchors

Slav, great FG on those wheel wells BTW!!!

Re. floor anchoring I am thinking about this issue as well. I am concerned with the whole cabin attachements to the frame too. four litte 1/4" screws its all I have now. Also the plates are welded to the frame very poorly (not poor welding but poor design - flat plate welded to frame tube.)

I think a solution for both the cabin to frame anchoring, and also the floor to cabin requirement is to run an U bolt under the frame tube and through FG bottom and Plywood under lay flooring.

(U bolts I mean like tha ones that hold the axle to the springs, but square not round... sorry most terminology gets lost in translation for me)

I am also installing hard foam insulation under the plywood and above the FG.

Does it make sense?
Cheers,
L
Old 05-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #92

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
My Casita only has standard 3 inch screws spaced about 20 inches apart and going across each of the support beams. The most I can see is about 25 or so holding down the OSB to the channels below. All mine are rusted out and I am going to remove them and replace but I will have a flat washer on top where as Casita was just the screw head. I thought I read that these screws were the only thing holding my body on as I dont see bolts anywhere. There is another thread with some good pictures. You might want to consider that. I was trying to find the link but cant. IF you do the internal Google search on "floor Screws" there are a ton of suggestions on the Boler.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #93

Washington
Quote:
Slav, great FG on those wheel wells BTW!!!

Re. floor anchoring I am thinking about this issue as well. I am concerned with the whole cabin attachements to the frame too. four litte 1/4" screws its all I have now. Also the plates are welded to the frame very poorly (not poor welding but poor design - flat plate welded to frame tube.)

I think a solution for both the cabin to frame anchoring, and also the floor to cabin requirement is to run an U bolt under the frame tube and through FG bottom and Plywood under lay flooring.

(U bolts I mean like tha ones that hold the axle to the springs, but square not round... sorry most terminology gets lost in translation for me)

I am also installing hard foam insulation under the plywood and above the FG.

Does it make sense?
Cheers,
L
Hi Luis,

I agree with you about the original body anchor tabs being weak. We had the same kind but when we had the new frame fabricated, we decided to stick with the tabs but make them super awesome! They are about 3/8" thick, super welded on and have side tabs welded on...they are not going anywhere. We have 4 of these (2 at each end) and then we had two put in the middle. The 4 main ones are getting 1/2" bolts. The others will get 3/8" bolts. This should take care of the body attachment. I'll just need to figure out attaching the plywood with additional screws thru the floor.

The U bolts sound like a good option for you, unless you can get new tabs welded on or reinforced.

Mike,

Wow, you're going to have some work removing and replacing all those screws. I had about 14 such ones and it wasn't fun. Get a good electric bolt cutter.

Cheers,
Slav
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #94

Alberta
Registry
hiatus its over

back to Boler reno after a few months off line...

Update:

-Most fiberglass work is complete on bottom half, specially under the shell and all perforations closed off.

-Top half is waiting for new HERH windows for final cut offs and FG work.

-New vents and services access opened on the front side. THESE will be the only two perforations to the FG other that Windows, door and Fan.

-Furnace will vent to the front. Water fill (gravity) and city water and electricity to be accessed on the front right side. Vents for cooler/freezer on the front left side.

-Storage for hoses, and electric city connection wire to be accessed from the outside on the same front right side opening

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2322.jpg   IMG_2326.jpg  

IMG_2341.jpg   IMG_2329.jpg  

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #95

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
And I thought my pool table was going overboard..
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #96

Washington
Luis, good to see you back! Keep the project coming and let's see more pics!
Slav
Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #97

Alberta
Registry
Winter update

Disclaimer:
I have no heat nor insulation in my garage! So work progresses on chinook schedule.
Chinooks winds bring warm drier air down from the Rockies on their leeward side, and into Calgary. Sometimes we have Warm week of over 30 degrees Celsius difference in the midst of winter.

This year weather has been CRAZY, most of the east and Midwest is buried in this article vortex system, south alberta have been enjoying spring weather....

Sorry I digress...

Work continues, slow progress great expectations!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #98

Alberta
Registry
More pics

Trying my new iPad to upload pics, learning again.
Can't get to upload more than one pic pert post...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #99

Alberta
Registry
One pic at a time!!!! Ughrhhhhh

Again
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #100

Alberta
Registry
And again

Anyone knows how to post multiple pics in one post with an IPad.?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Tags
boler