Need some advice about my 13' Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Debbie
Trailer: Boler
Tennessee
Need some advice about my 13' Boler

I'm researching the possibility of putting a small roof ac/heat unit on my 13' Boler. Can the roof/ceiling handle the weight? Does anyone out there have any thoughts or experience with this? I'm just starting my first tiny trailer reno! I've renovated houses, but this is a little different......! So... I'm hoping some of you veterans out there can help,please!
Debbietwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The simple response is NO the roof and walls will not carry the weight of a roof mounted AC unit. There have been a number of members who have installed household window mount units usually mounted in the front closet and venting through the side wall or mounted under the rear dinette seat and again vented either through the wall or floor.

Remember with any renovation that the Boler uses some of the interior cabinets as structural support, this includes the closet beside the door and there should be a metal support on the side of the kitchen cabinets between the upper and lower cabinets.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks Ian, I'm just trying to get " my ducks in a row" to know how to proceed with this! Your "Buttercup" Reno is my inspiration! I have a wish list for an ac/heat unit, permanate toilet, and expanded counterspace. I'm thinking of a toilet in the front underneath a seat with fold up top. It would be like a "park model" rv. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbietwisted View Post
Thanks Ian, I'm just trying to get " my ducks in a row" to know how to proceed with this! Your "Buttercup" Reno is my inspiration! I have a wish list for an ac/heat unit, permanate toilet, and expanded counterspace. I'm thinking of a toilet in the front underneath a seat with fold up top. It would be like a "park model" rv. Any thoughts?
Thank you Debbie.
Your idea for a toilet is fairly common, I have seen several good examples on this forum. As I mentioned in your other post the only way to add AC is to use a household window mount and modify it to mount either in the closet, under the kitchen cabinet or the rear dinette seat.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Tennessee
Thanks and one more thing for now! What type of adhesive would be recommended for wood to fiberglass?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Thanks and one more thing for now! What type of adhesive would be recommended for wood to fiberglass?
You will need to be more specific, is it finish trim?, a mounting board?
toothpick? I'm not trying to be rude but each of the above items can be mounted several ways with different materials.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

Tennessee
Mounting board.....but I am thinking of making a dinette booth of toothpicks...
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
AC install

Look into beefing up your top for the install, I have seen that done.
John
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I installed a heater/AC/dehumidifier in my closet. I picked a portable 13000btu unit up off kijiji for $60. I don't miss the storage space at all, I put the overflow in my truck. I used hvac plenums for my supply and exhaust. You can see them in my avatar pic. Works like a charm.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #10

Tennessee
Would love to see those pics. Sorry, I'm new at this! How do see them? And you really didn't mean $60.00 did you!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #11

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Look at the pic next to my message you can see the two ducts next to the door.
Yes $60. I kept my eye open and found a good deal.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #12

Name: Bill
Washington
I have a roof mounted PlaCool on my 80 13 footer Not hooked up, but looks like a professional install
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Mounting board.....but I am thinking of making a dinette booth of toothpicks...
I think the best way to mount anything to fiberglass is to use more
fiberglass, post 149 is the best I have to show you.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-55601-11.html
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
There is a product called PC-11 (a 2 part epoxy) that is really good stuff. It will even cure underwater and is unbelievably stronger than most other epoxies. I used it to bond a riser (wood to fiberglass) for our roof vent to the roof of the Boler, and also to bond a frame to the inside of the door (metal to fiberglass).

Also, we change our layout to add a bath with shower, our posts on this might give you some ideas. And the PO added a Dometic AC to our Boler but instead of reinforcing the roof he just added a layer of plywood between the roof and ac to distribute the weight but the wood was rotten when we got it causing a slight sag in the roof allowing water to pool up so we removed the unit and put a window ac under the bunk. I believe the roof unit can be done but the roof does need to be reinforced properly to hold the weight to prevent the roof from sagging, so it really depends on what lengths you are willing to go to in order to add ac. Window unit is probably the easiest route and the least expensive but does use up some storage space which is a valuable commodity in a small fgrv.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome Debbie! You can also find a lot of information by using the search feature in this group. There are many threads on ac (the good, the bad, the ugly) as well as other rehabs such as Ian's.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler