Any bigfoot truck camper owners here? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Any bigfoot truck camper owners here?

We are considering getting one, Can you give me your thoughts,and pro and cons on them.. thanks
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
if you dont find any here, there are a bunch in the rv.net truck camper forum. northern-lite is another molded fiberglass too. Truckcampermagazine has a factory tour of them Here Good quality. Merry christmas.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We should. There's a couple (and for the life of me I can't remember their names), who moved from a Casita to a Scamp 5th wheel and now a Bigfoot Camper. They usually painted the contellations on the outside of their trailer. Chart Maker rings a bell.... anyone remember???

I do remember them saying the Bigfoot Truck Camper provided more room than the 5th wheel.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
good info so far.. thanks for the link
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's a couple (and for the life of me I can't remember their names), who moved from a Casita to a Scamp 5th wheel and now a Bigfoot Camper. They usually painted the constellations on the outside of their trailer... anyone remember?
That would be Pat And Arleen. They usually attend the Quartzsite rallys in February.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh Frederick That's THEM!!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Underwood View Post
We are considering getting one, Can you give me your thoughts,and pro and cons on them.. thanks
I had a guided tour of a Bigfoot truck camper one day last week. A couple we met recently own one and offered the tour because they know we were considering buying one. With about 5 steps up from the street and a few more up to the sleeping area I immediately thought this would not be a good idea for anyone with mobility issues. If that's not an issue these large campers typically require at least a 3/4 ton and maybe even a 1 ton dually to carry the weight. If that's the case for the same gas consumption you can probably go with a small motorhome which would have at least fewer stairs to climb. I think truck campers tend to have smaller water tanks which could limit water usage when boondocking. They said their tanks would only last about 3 days whereas we can go 5 or 6 days with our trailer. If possible try driving one before buying,since I've heard some people don't like the top heavy rock and roll feeling they provide. On the other hand if you like off road camping probably nothing beats a 4wd pickup with a truck camper. Have fun deciding.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

Trailer: R-Vision
I owned one for a few years, they are well built but some things like
the drawer slide sockets broke in mine going over rough terrain. While
looking for replacements, I found that that's all that's available it seems
for just about any RV but the high end stuff. Truck campers in general
are a little cramped, but if you already have a truck and don't mind the
space limitations, it's not a bad way to go. I'd suggest a dually, as mentioned
above, it's a lot of weight and cross winds are a pain. If I were buying another, Bigfoot would be on my list, but I'd be tempted to get one with a
slide out.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We don't have one but if I ever again find a cheap one ( I have passed on two in the last few years) we will.

My favorite camping is with a truck camper, the sticky we owned years ago was very comfortable and easy to manage. The only downside was not having a sight seeing/fishing vehicle separate from the camper. That did simplify camping in that we were pretty much ready to go at all times, no campsite "decorating" allowed.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 10'6e Truck Camper
Oregon
Registry
Fifty gallons of fresh water not enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F. View Post
I think truck campers tend to have smaller water tanks which could limit water usage when boondocking. Bill
My 2008 25C10.5 Bigfoot truck camper has a 50 gallon tank, I can't imagine wanting more - we rarely fill it more than half full, plenty for a 3-4 day boondock.

We have a camper because we can definitely go places no motor home or fifth wheel can, and a lot of nice places here in Oregon are like that, it's a trade off.
bfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We had truck campers for more than 20 years until it became too hard for my wife to get into and out of the cabover bed. Our little Egg Camper is about the same size inside as our campers were and is faster/easier to hitch up compared to loading the camper. Space inside the Egg is more usable IMO. We still have a 31 ft trailer for winter snowbirding but our Egg is for travelling and fun.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrazier View Post
My 2008 25C10.5 Bigfoot truck camper has a 50 gallon tank, I can't imagine wanting more - we rarely fill it more than half full, plenty for a 3-4 day boondock.

We have a camper because we can definitely go places no motor home or fifth wheel can, and a lot of nice places here in Oregon are like that, it's a trade off.
Hi, Bob

I'd sure like to see a picture of your setup! Yours is a 2008, isn't it?
I wonder if the older Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) have the same capacity- seems like they've gotten bigger over the years...
Here's a pic of a 1988 Bigfoot on what looks to me like a half ton P/U- can you tell by the pic if yours is stouter, etc.?

By the way, in case you'd like to start a "herd" like some other members here...
This one's for sale in your neck of the woods!
1988 BIGFOOT CAB OVER CAMPER

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I think I was 4 years old when my parents bought a camper and a pickup. At age 6 or 7 I remember watching Dad crank up all the jacks and then try to jockey under the thing, getting upset and having trouble with the alignment and light hookups and stuff. Seemed like a rough way to start a vacation; both parents were in a foul mood after all the monkeying around.

A year later we had a windstorm that pushed the camper off the blocks and onto its side. I think the insurance company totaled it. Our next RV was a 22' Winnebago motor home. No hookup hassles whatsoever!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #14

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Bob

I'd sure like to see a picture of your setup! Yours is a 2008, isn't it?
I wonder if the older Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) have the same capacity- seems like they've gotten bigger over the years...
Here's a pic of a 1988 Bigfoot on what looks to me like a half ton P/U- can you tell by the pic if yours is stouter, etc.?

By the way, in case you'd like to start a "herd" like some other members here...
This one's for sale in your neck of the woods!
1988 BIGFOOT CAB OVER CAMPER

Francesca
I had a Bigfoot just like the one in the pic.
It was really great. The thing I liked was you could keep it warm with a hairdryer or 2 candles in the winter.
I had it on a 90 Chevy 1/2 ton with Air lifts.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #15

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
I've had a couple (stickys) over the years and the only real issue I've ever had is that when it stored off the truck and needs to be move. It was always some sort of ordeal like the truck being out of commission. And no matter where it's stored it'll eventually be in the way.
If I'm camping in one at a site for more than a day or two I like to set it up off the truck on the jacks. That way the trucks available. We did use to use a truck camper to go to Daytona for bike week and take the bikes in a trailer.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
Is my Bigfoot truck camper too big?

Hello:

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a 1986 Bigfoot truck camper.

My 2011 F250 Crewcab pickup bed is 82 inches long. The bed-portion of the Bigfoot is 100 inches long. Thus I would have 18 inches of the camper sitting on my tailgate.

Would this be a problem? I have heard there is a balance point of a camper that is supposed to be over the rear axle. But it seems this could vary based on how full the water reservoir was and where other items were loaded. Just how critical is the balance point?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Jim Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #17

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The biggest regret of my camper life is selling my early 80s Bigfoot camper.
I had it on a Chevy 1/2 ton with Air lifts.
For the size it was very light and well built.
Your F 250 will handle it with ease.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
Thanks John. I really like the one I am considering. I am just concerned about it being too long for my short bed.
Jim Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #19

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If it was designed for a short box truck, you wouldn't need the tailgate though I've carried a camper using the tailgate underneath. Unfortunately tailgates are heavy. I've also used two wood planks as long as the under side of the camper. They were lighter than my tailgate.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Another problem you might have is the bedside height vs the camper depth. You might need to make a platform for the camper to sit on. I love truck campers and plan on buying one if I ever find a great deal on one.

Tags
bigfoot