Bigfoot 17CB batteries moved.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
So what else is there to say after the previous three posts?

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
ain't it amazing Junkie that BF paid so little attention to the weight distribution.....at first I thought that in my CB the problem would be even worse than yours because of the bigger fridge...but then I realized you got the stove/sink combo on that left side as well !!!...probably the same
Yep Francois, kitchen, range/oven, fridge, sink, counter and cabinets, bathroom/shower, and water heater, all on the left side. Nothing heavy on the right side except the fresh water tank and whatever was stored under the dinette and bunk.

No matter what I did, I couldn't counter-weight the right side to get it to sit level. Not a big deal, it tracked fine. Just took a little extra effort when leveling. I really liked the layout though so it was worth it. I'd shim the left spring up if I still had the trailer.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #23

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
so it's gone????

sheeesh after all that work that must have been tough.....Are you "between trailers" now or did you pick up something else and bigger????

yeah the weight thing.....thinking on it if BF had simply installed both fresh and grey water underslung tanks all the way to the right that would have at least helped a little...
Attached Thumbnails
fixit.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Walt,
You may want to check here The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
your batteries do not appear to be properly wired.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #25

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Walt,
You may want to check here The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
your batteries do not appear to be properly wired.
Hmmm. Looking at my picture, it seems okay, but I'll look at them in the morning and check again.
I don't see how they could be wired incorrectly and still have worked fine for over two years.
Like I said, I'll check before I leave in the morning, and report back.

Walt
Old 09-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They will still work, it is just moving one of the converter leads from the positive battery A to positive, battery B, that way the converter will think you have one battery comprised of A+B versus one battery of just A. It may help in equalizing the charge to the batteries and make them last longer.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #27

SW Virginia
Error
Old 09-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #28

SW Virginia
Jim
I sent you a PM

Walt
Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
sheeesh after all that work that must have been tough.....Are you "between trailers" now or did you pick up something else and bigger????
Francois, yeah, sold it earlier this year. Post is here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-69842.html

I'm traveling south from Alaska right now, trailerless and hotelling it. I pass by all my old camping spots with envy. I love camping in the fall. But yeah, I plan to get a Bigfoot 25-footer in the future. For now I'm just enjoying the excellent gas mileage. I did Whitehorse to Fort Nelson on one tank a couple days ago, and Fort Nelson to PG on one tank yesterday. Crossing into Washington tonight. Can't wait to be a Bigfoot owners again soon. Cheers!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #30

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
I'd like to join Ellpea's question - what is the advantage of two 6v as oppos two 12v? I know I want two batteries because I will be doing a lot of boondocking, but I don't ha e a clue which system is better. I will also have at least 100 watts of solar for charging. Thanks
Six volt batteries weigh more than 12 volt batteries because there is more lead in them. They are designed and constructed to provide more power over more hours and years. So if you take care of your batteries (don't drain them below 50%, keep charged all year, add water as needed, use a charge wizard if you use your converter for charging) they will last years longer. If you don't take care of your batteries buy cheaper 12 volt batteries and replace them every year or two. Many folks with well cared for 6 volt batteries report 10 years or more dependability. Most cared for 12 volt batteries give up around year six.

Any lead-acid battery will provide more energy in warm temperatures. (The rate of chemical reactions in batteries decreases in cooler temperatures, meaning less power available) If you do much cool weather camping placing the batteries in a heated space will result in more available energy. That's one reason cars have a harder time starting in cold weather. Cold viscous lubricant is another.

That said, my factory 12 volt deep cycle provides plenty of energy coupled with a 100 watt solar panel. I can go for 3-7 days with no sun depending on how much the furnace runs. With 4 hours of daily sun stays can be weeks long. In a few years when my battery dies I might go with 6 volt Trojans, or maybe Lithium Ion if prices come down. Right now I don't see a good reason to upgrade. The extra weight of two batteries figures into the equation too. Li-ion is much lighter in weight and can be safely drained far lower than lead acid.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #31

SW Virginia
Several good points/thoughts there John. Thanks.

Walt
Old 09-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #32

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
John, thanks for explaining in more detail.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler
How do you guys and gals figure AGM into the picture. I understand that they are maintenance free and provide long life if they are charged correctly. I'm looking at the group 31 northstar AGM for reference. Expensive yes, but hoping it's worth it. For reference, we have a Bigfoot 17 and a Honda eu2000 generator but no solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot