Vehicle towing capacity for Scamps 13 and 16? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #21

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Tow vehicle

We just purchased a 13 foot deluxe Scamp last week.we are pulling with a Subaru Outback 4 cylinder. So fat works great going into week 2 on the road. Steep hills it will downshift and go to 4000 RPM briefly.

Scott L
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My experience towing my 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 6 cylinder was just the opposite . Everyone has a different perception of what is an adequate tow vehicle. I have never owned anything that towed like a dream nor have I ever felt that the trailer wasn't there.. Even with my fullsize 1/2 ton V8 truck , I can tell I have a trailer in tow by the way the vehicle handles and the way it sounds.
right on! you should never be unaware that you have something behind you.
When we say "tows like a dream" it means the tug has more than enough power to spare; and the "tail does not wag the dog."
When you have a trailer that is close your tug's towing capacity, you need to learn how to downshift on grades, and use your brakes sparingly.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #23

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Hi,
We tow a 16 ft Scamp with a 2013 Ford Edge V6 and a 3500 lb towing capacity. Chevy makes an Equinox that is about the same. We have towed through the Rocky Mountains and back to Michigan. We average 15 mpg running 60 - 70 mph. Trucks or cars, it's a matter of preference. I've owned trucks. They are great workhorses if your building a home, a farmer or have a need for hauling the big stuff. When we get to a destination and park the Scamp for 5 to 14 days, we prefer the SUV type car for exploring.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Scamp 13s would take a Class II, 2500 lb capacity hitch.
Scamp 16s take a Class III, 3500 lb capacity hitch
We pulled our 13 with a VW Vanagon, and a Toyota Camry.
We pull our 16 DLX, with a Toyota Highlander, and before that with 3 Honda Odyssey vans
The 16 DLX weighs in, loaded, at about 2800 lb, hitch wit about 280 lb.
Um, not exactly. A class II receiver usually has a 3500 lb capacity, and class III is usually 5000 lbs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #25

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
We tow a 16' Casita SD, started with a 1996 Jimmy and upgraded this year to a 2008 Trailblazer with pretty low mileage for its age. It pulls beautifully, is wider than the Jimmy so don't need mirror extenders and it feels very comfortable and controlled. The brake controller and sway bar keep it riding smoothly.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #26

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
When we say "tows like a dream" it means the tug has more than enough power to spare; and the "tail does not wag the dog."
Exactly.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
My experience towing my 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 6 cylinder was just the opposite . Everyone has a different perception of what is an adequate tow vehicle. I have never owned anything that towed like a dream nor have I ever felt that the trailer wasn't there.. Even with my fullsize 1/2 ton V8 truck , I can tell I have a trailer in tow by the way the vehicle handles and the way it sounds.
Right; I'm always puzzled by those who say "I couldn't even tell it was there." I'm towing with a Ford Expedition EL, built on an F150 chassis, which is capable of towing trailers twice as heavy as our Casita 17, and I know instantly the trailer is there; I can feel it.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I keep looking in the rear-view mirror and everything darn time I can tell.. the trailer is there (still there in fact, thank gawd).

But if I were looking for a tow vehicle for a fiberglass camper, I would first figure out which campers I might end up with, then look up the real world weights, then pick a tow vehicle that had a towing capacity of 25-75 % over the weight of the camper and also had high reliability ratings at Consumer Reports. From this list I would check all the specs to make sure it was OK, and lean toward one that was ready to tow and did not need a lot of work to prep it for towing.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #29

Name: Jim
Trailer: Still looking
Wisconsin
I have a 2008 Toyota Rav4 with the factory hitch. When I bought the vehicle I got a story from the salesman that the factory hitch (with a $900 price tag) was better than the aftermarket ones ($150). Both have 3500# ratings. I went home and did some research.
The Toyota hitch attaches with (29) bolts vs (4) in the aftermarket hitches. It seems it's not the strength of the hitch, but the possibility of warping the frame that is the concern. Something to think about if you are looking at an attractively priced used Rav4 or other small suv with an aftermarket hitch.

Alternative Tow Hitches - Page 6 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Jim in WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #30

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Just returned from a 7,000 mile trip with my brand new Scamp 13' w/bath. Towing with a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo. We passed everyone in sight - 18-wheelers, RVs, other stick-built trailers, 5th wheels - even in snow squalls. Had lots of power, did three crossings of the Continental Divide, and had absolutely no problem pulling the Scamp up and over 8,000 to 9,000 foot mountains.

I couldn't be more pleased with the performance of the car!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in WI View Post
I have a 2008 Toyota Rav4 with the factory hitch. When I bought the vehicle I got a story from the salesman that the factory hitch (with a $900 price tag) was better than the aftermarket ones ($150). Both have 3500# ratings. I went home and did some research.
The Toyota hitch attaches with (29) bolts vs (4) in the aftermarket hitches. It seems it's not the strength of the hitch, but the possibility of warping the frame that is the concern. Something to think about if you are looking at an attractively priced used Rav4 or other small suv with an aftermarket hitch.

Alternative Tow Hitches - Page 6 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
29? really? 29?
I have installed aftermarket hitches on several different tow vehicles and every one of them was installed using the same attachment points as the OEM hitch. This is most common on ClassIII hitches, but some might require drilling.

The aftermarket Hidden-Hitch on my Ranger is strong enough and attached well enough to easily support the weight of the truck should it be lifted by a crane attached to it.

Beware of ClassI hitches when that is all which is offered for a particular application. Most of them are good for a bike rack, anything more should require a little research before making the decision.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #32

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Ha ha, I think you're right!!

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Just returned from a 7,000 mile trip with my brand new Scamp 13' w/bath. Towing with a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo. We passed everyone in sight - 18-wheelers, RVs, other stick-built trailers, 5th wheels - even in snow squalls. Had lots of power, did three crossings of the Continental Divide, and had absolutely no problem pulling the Scamp up and over 8,000 to 9,000 foot mountains.

I couldn't be more pleased with the performance of the car!
Nice. What is its towing capacity?

Margaret
Old 06-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #34

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I keep looking in the rear-view mirror and everything darn time I can tell.. the trailer is there (still there in fact, thank gawd).

But if I were looking for a tow vehicle for a fiberglass camper, I would first figure out which campers I might end up with, then look up the real world weights, then pick a tow vehicle that had a towing capacity of 25-75 % over the weight of the camper and also had high reliability ratings at Consumer Reports. From this list I would check all the specs to make sure it was OK, and lean toward one that was ready to tow and did not need a lot of work to prep it for towing.
YIKES!

Good answer.

Margaret
Old 06-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #35

North Carolina
Good replies

Hi all,

Good replies.

I'm going to try something with a towing capacity of 3500 to 5000, esp. in case I want to upgrade to a 16 eventually. I need to look at the Scamp specs again.

Now I see the links you were talking about in the other threads.

I would rather use an SUV than a truck, so I can pack all my stuff and keep it dry, and my dogs have a place to sit.

Margaret
Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
...What is its towing capacity?...
A Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0L turbo-4 engine is rated to tow 3500 pounds (2016 specs). The Kia Sorento (corporate sibling) is also available with the same engine and tow rating. Beware, though… either one with the base 2.4L non-turbo engine is only rated for 2000 pounds.

This is the first report I've read on the forum of someone actually towing with the new turbo-4, and it sounds promising.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #37

North Carolina
UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0L turbo-4 engine is rated to tow 3500 pounds (2016 specs). The Kia Sorento (corporate sibling) is also available with the same engine and tow rating. Beware, though… either one with the base 2.4L non-turbo engine is only rated for 2000 pounds.

This is the first report I've read on the forum of someone actually towing with the new turbo-4, and it sounds promising.
Hi all,

I settled for a Hyundai Santa Fe v-6 awd. I don't even remember the trim, but I think it's a GLS.

It has a towing capacity of 5k.

Meanwhile, I've run into a snag, and am worried about getting to my camper on time

I just found out I need an infusion (a kind of iv) and have to be seen by a home health nurse. He or she will train me on how to do it, but I hope it means I can still get to AZ in the right time frame!!! I really, really want to do this.

Margaret
Old 06-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #38

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi all,

I settled for a Hyundai Santa Fe v-6 awd. I don't even remember the trim, but I think it's a GLS.

It has a towing capacity of 5k.

Meanwhile, I've run into a snag, and am worried about getting to my camper on time

I just found out I need an infusion (a kind of iv) and have to be seen by a home health nurse. He or she will train me on how to do it, but I hope it means I can still get to AZ in the right time frame!!! I really, really want to do this.

Margaret
Here she is:

Used 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe For Sale | Bristol TN

Tags
scamp