Subaru Outback enough to tow Scamp 13' ft.? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #41

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
In most cases F150 is the right towing vehicle. But it could be overkill for 13' camper :-)

I tow Scamp 16 with F150. Ford escape is my shopping cart and a tow for a small boat/utility trailer.
Shopping cart, LOL.

Does F150 make an SUV? The problem is, it's so effing expensive!

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #42

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
In most cases F150 is the right towing vehicle. But it could be overkill for 13' camper :-)

I tow Scamp 16 with F150. Ford escape is my shopping cart and a tow for a small boat/utility trailer.
Hi Sophapkin.

I really need an SUV.

I think I'm going to give up and go for something like Dodge Durango or Jeep Cherokee if I can find the right trim.

Margaret
Old 06-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #43

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Margaret's tow vehicle

Margaret - you've had lots of great suggestions, but you still seem unsure. You have 2 dogs, right? I travel with my dog and chose a SUV with AWD for ease in driving and keeping us safe and dry. My Outback has lots of storage space so I even carry my kayak/gear plus camping gear in the Outback. I would racommend an SUV tow vehicle, not a pickup truck (unless you wanted to get a top for the PU bed. As I wrote earlier, if you are concerned about tow weight and tongue weight, and your driving safety, particularly in mountains, stay with a 6 cylinder SUV, AWD. My 6 cylinder Subaru Outback easily pulls my 13 ft Deluxe Scamp over mountains. My Scamp Deluxe has electric brakes, an option the original owner had installed at the factory. You may want to check is the Scamp you are looking at has brakes. I take it into the tire shop periodically for a brake/tire checkup and for repacking the wheel bearings.

One consideration of a tow vehicle also depends on how much STUFF you intend to take and whether you wish to be on the road for extended periods of time.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and safe travels.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #44

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Margaret - you've had lots of great suggestions, but you still seem unsure. You have 2 dogs, right? I travel with my dog and chose a SUV with AWD for ease in driving and keeping us safe and dry. My Outback has lots of storage space so I even carry my kayak/gear plus camping gear in the Outback. I would racommend an SUV tow vehicle, not a pickup truck (unless you wanted to get a top for the PU bed. As I wrote earlier, if you are concerned about tow weight and tongue weight, and your driving safety, particularly in mountains, stay with a 6 cylinder SUV, AWD. My 6 cylinder Subaru Outback easily pulls my 13 ft Deluxe Scamp over mountains. My Scamp Deluxe has electric brakes, an option the original owner had installed at the factory. You may want to check is the Scamp you are looking at has brakes. I take it into the tire shop periodically for a brake/tire checkup and for repacking the wheel bearings.

One consideration of a tow vehicle also depends on how much STUFF you intend to take and whether you wish to be on the road for extended periods of time.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and safe travels.
Ha ha, at least I found a camper! I'll have to make sure it does have brakes . . . I can call Scamp; they have the records.

Ok, so now I'm very clear in my mind: 6!!! cylinder, AWD, and definitely SUV.

Margaret
Old 06-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi Sophapkin.

I really need an SUV.

I think I'm going to give up and go for something like Dodge Durango or Jeep Cherokee if I can find the right trim.

Margaret
Go price a nicely equipped Durango or Jeep and you may discover that a truck isn't that expensive in comparison . There not exactly giving Durangos or Jeeps away
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I like it, and I think the 2.0T will have plenty of power for a Scamp 13. AWD is nice to have on a tow vehicle, though. It gives you traction at the rear when climbing grades on loose surfaces, especially helpful when towing. It is available on the Santa Fe.

A late-model Ford Escape Ecoboost would probably perform similarly. It seems smaller than a Santa Fe, but I haven't made a close comparison. I'd also compare Consumer Reports reliability data.

My current favorite in this vehicle class is the Kia Sorento. Same 2.0T as the Santa Fe. But they just added the turbo option in 2016, so there aren't many used ones out there and new ones are pricey.

I don't think a 6 cylinder is required for a 13'er, but used Toyota Highlanders are fairly plentiful and are reliable favorites for towing egg trailers. You need to look for a V6 with tow package. I am also happy with my Honda Pilot as a tow vehicle. Second generation Pilots (2009-2015) come with the tow package standard on all models and trims, so set-up is easy. AWD versions have a 4500 pound tow rating.

I know it's kind of overwhelming. So many choices, and so much conflicting advice… Take a deep breath…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #47

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Go price a nicely equipped Durango or Jeep and you may discover that a truck isn't that expensive in comparison . There not exactly giving Durangos or Jeeps away
Hi Steve,

I agree, but I still prefer an SUV, LOL.

It meets all my needs. The dogs and my stuff will fit, and I can carry a kayak on the roof, plus all my stuff will stay dry.

Margaret
Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #48

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I like it, and I think the 2.0T will have plenty of power for a Scamp 13. AWD is nice to have on a tow vehicle, though. It gives you traction at the rear when climbing grades on loose surfaces, especially helpful when towing. It is available on the Santa Fe.

A late-model Ford Escape Ecoboost would probably perform similarly. It seems smaller than a Santa Fe, but I haven't made a close comparison. I'd also compare Consumer Reports reliability data.

My current favorite in this vehicle class is the Kia Sorento. Same 2.0T as the Santa Fe. But they just added the turbo option in 2016, so there aren't many used ones out there and new ones are pricey.

I don't think a 6 cylinder is required for a 13'er, but used Toyota Highlanders are fairly plentiful and are reliable favorites for towing egg trailers. You need to look for a V6 with tow package. I am also happy with my Honda Pilot as a tow vehicle. Second generation Pilots (2009-2015) come with the tow package standard on all models and trims, so set-up is easy. AWD versions have a 4500 pound tow rating.

I know it's kind of overwhelming. So many choices, and so much conflicting advice… Take a deep breath…
Oh, hey there Jon! I just took a deep breath. The problem is, I'm on the computer so much, I've hardly done any packing, and my departure date is a little more than a week away (to drive to AZ for my camper). I think I'm just going to hunker down, and shoot for the Jeep Grand or the Dodge d.

Otherwise, I'll end up looking like . . . Actually, that's already how I feel!

Margaret
Old 06-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #49

North Carolina
Quote:
Oh, hey there Jon! I just took a deep breath. The problem is, I'm on the computer so much, I've hardly done any packing, and my departure date is a little more than a week away (to drive to AZ for my camper). I think I'm just going to hunker down, and shoot for the Jeep Grand or the Dodge d.

Otherwise, I'll end up looking like . . . Actually, that's already how I feel!

Margaret
PS, I found a great dealership in Bristol, TN. They seem to have relatively good deals, and they're helpful.

I'm half Swiss, so when I'm in AZ, I'll send you a yodel, and you can yodel back, LOL.

Margaret (that's me yodeling)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #50

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Hi Steve,

I agree, but I still prefer an SUV, LOL.

It meets all my needs. The dogs and my stuff will fit, and I can carry a kayak on the roof, plus all my stuff will stay dry.

Margaret
I have a quad cab truck with a lockable fiberglass topper that has opening windows with screens . Our chocolate lab loves to ride on the back seat of our truck . He also loves to ride in the bed of the truck.
I store most of our camping gear in the bed of the truck .
Some people like trucks and some like SUV's.
Which ever you choose , I hope it works for you and you enjoy every minute of your new adventure.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #51

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
13' unless it is lead lined lol subaru has a 2500 lb rating; but will need trailer brakes if used in BC or ON due to towing rules

Tags
scamp