Upgrading RVs to Oliver - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
We got the call last Friday and we were planning to leave this Wed so we will wait for the next call from Robert.

We both retired this past Jan but wife went back to work for her old boss working 3 days a week. I go back part time when my old boss need a driver for a day or so if somebody is out. i drive a semi hauling concrete pipe and structures on a flatbed. Looking at turning 70 on Sat it's time for that crazy stuff to stop. But, I can still do it and like driving now and again. That's all subject to change when the Oliver gets here.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #22

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I looked at Olivers and thought they were a bit heavy for their sizing; they also weren't too willing to do much customization for me. For us an Escape was a better upsize from a 17LD.

Charlie Y
The Oliver is a heavy trailer. Our first Oliver, one of the original 17 footers, weighed in at about 3900 pounds. As you well know, any double shell trailer is obviously going to weigh more than one built with a single shell even though they may be the same length. Our trailer easily weighs well over 6000 pounds. But that weight is not too surprising in light of all the additions I added.

Having owned a previous 17 footer, I had a good idea of the way I wanted this one to be built and I am all about customization.

For instance, I wanted additional under bed storage for some specific items that I like to carry with us. They actually built new fiberglass molds to accommodate us for the way I designed them. We now have over 20 cubic feet of extra storage space under EACH of our twin beds. They even included LED lighting under each bed.

I asked that they modify the aluminum frame to my personal specifications. No problem.
I asked that they outfit our trailer with two 6000 pound axles. No problem.
I asked that they replace the standard tires with Michelin XPS Rib LT/75R16 commercial tires. No problem.
I asked that they replace the two standard 12 volt batteries with four Trojan 6 volt AGM’s. No problem.
I asked that they replace the electric umbilical cord with an electric cord reel. No problem.
I asked that they put lights in the ceiling. No problem.
I asked that they install a circuit I designed for the water pump that has multiple control switches each with an LED that lights up when the water pump has power going to it. No problem.
I asked that they install a dual water heater control circuit that I designed. No problem.
I asked that they install an XM antenna on the roof and a radio mount on the inside. No problem.
I asked that they install two CPAP systems that I designed. No problem.
I asked that they move the location of the side windows and the location of some of the interior cabinet openings. No problem.
I asked that they cut access hatches into the basement areas and install doors and latches to match all the cabinets. No problem.
I asked that lights be installed in the basement. No problem.
I asked for more 12 volt and 110 volt outlets at locations of my choosing. No problem.
I asked that they replace the switches that they normally use with ones that I chose and place each light on a separate switch. No problem
I asked that they use switch panels that I designed and had made even specifying the screws to be used to mount them. We used over 40 switches. No problem.

Which makes me curious as to what customization’s you asked for that they weren’t willing to do. Whatever it was, it must have been pretty special. I can’t think of a single thing I asked for that they didn’t do.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
The Oliver is a heavy trailer. Our first Oliver, one of the original 17 footers, weighed in at about 3900 pounds. As you well know, any double shell trailer is obviously going to weigh more than one built with a single shell even though they may be the same length.
Actually, Burro and U-Haul are a couple of examples where the double wall construction really results in a trailer weight not significantly different from their single shell competitors. That being said, the Oliver is large and heavy compared to others of the genre. Once you've decided on an adequate TV I think you will enjoy having such a fine product. Just don't try and follow my Scamp 13D through the drive-up, when parallel parking or onto the Green River ferry!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #24

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I'm not concerned at all about weight. Think it's a good trade-off for durability and insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #25

South Carolina
Steve, assume you paid a fair price for all those mods. The poster may have wanted changes for free, or his changes were radical and require costly changes.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #26

Registry
Well, they did nix my request for a sunken hottub.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #27

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Bummer, you should have just cancelled the order after that what with all their experience at doing bath tubs. Can't get good help these days. I might need to rethink this… eh, maybe not.

Quote:
Well, they did nix my request for a sunken hottub.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I totally agree that Oliver is accomodating when it comes to customizing. There are just many standard features that it seems as if they won't customize. My new Ollie is in production and I am excited to take delivery. Moving up from a Casita SD17

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #29

Registry
Rob, David when are your delivery dates? We need to all get together for a mini rally.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #30

Florida
That sounds like a plan. We are November 25 but prolly will wait until the first of December. Plan is to camp close by the Oliver plant in the event we encounter any issue on the shakedown cruise. We are in NW Florida so pick a spot somewhere in the middle.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #31

South Carolina
You do know that part of the delivery process is that they put you up in a camp nearby the plant and then check on you in the morning to see if any fixes or adjustments are needed? I'd be reluctant to pass on that.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #32

Florida
Ron,

Yes and we will take advantage of that. Some on the Oliver forum posted that the park they use doesn't have much to offer so we may want to spend a few days up that way in another campground. Davy Crockett looks nice, and we enjoy state parks. Not ready for total dry camping just yet or we would try the Natchez Trace park.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #33

Montana
Steve, PM sent.

Thanks

rob

Quote:
Rob, David when are your delivery dates? We need to all get together for a mini rally.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I totally agree that Oliver is accomodating when it comes to customizing.
I think this is a great thing, good for them. Escape has been doing it for years too, and I would imagine some other manufacturers will have to follow suit.

Now, if Oliver would just allow customizing of the interior gelcoat colour, or are the actually starting to do this?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Now, if Oliver would just allow customizing of the interior gelcoat colour, or are the actually starting to do this?
Not presently, Jim. I tried to talk them into that before our build, but I understand the complexity of changing the color and having to clean all the equipment in a production line. But, nothing is totally out of the question at Oliver and I would not be surprised to see it happen one day.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #36

Montana
Likewise in our early talks I brought this up as well and it was a no go.

I would imagine if you had enough money to sink into they would do it but the cost would be very prohibitive. I was thinking of a pearlescent silver outer shell with an off white pearlescent inside.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Not presently, Jim. I tried to talk them into that before our build, but I understand the complexity of changing the color and having to clean all the equipment in a production line. But, nothing is totally out of the question at Oliver and I would not be surprised to see it happen one day.
Yeah, I knew it was a pain. I had asked them about that 6 years ago when I was interested in them, and got no for an answer. Wishful thinking though, and maybe available at the 'right' price.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
I was thinking of a pearlescent silver outer shell with an off white pearlescent inside.
I like the outside idea, but would like to see something warm and comforting. Even the old Trilliums used orange (which I like) and green (which I have, prefer to white, but would like to be a warmer tone).
Old 10-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #39

Florida
My oliver in productionClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1414619271.441584.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	78168Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1414619297.934761.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	78169Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1414619316.278119.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	78170

Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #40

South Carolina
I like the white interior. With the counter top and table surfaces, the cushions, bedding, flooring and cabinet doors (potentially), there is lots of opportunity to introduce color and warmth.

Tags
oliver