Fitting 13' Scamp into garage with 7' opening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Fitting 13' Scamp into garage with 7' opening

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	63784So I had the challenge of trying to get my 2011 13' scamp trailer into the garage. The opening is 7 feet tall which seems to be the standard for a lot of homes. I tried letting the air out of the tires which didn't even come close to the clearance I needed. I thought about small 8" inch rims without tires but didn't want to damage the concrete. Then someone suggested taking off the tires and lowering the brake drums on car dollies and it worked perfectly (almost)! The black tinted cover over the fantastic fan scrapes the top of the garage frame by a hair and doesn't even leave a mark. Here is what you will need:

1. Get a professional grade car jack with low clearance. You can get them for as little as $30 but I paid $65.00 for mine at Harbor Freight (it was on sale, regularily priced at $120).
2. Get two 8" X 16" car dollies. On a side note: the caster wheels that came with them were too small and measured 1.5" in diameter. I changed them out with 3" casters. My low clearance car jack didn't have enough clearance with the smaller casters.

It is a little nerve racking because the Scamp does lean A LOT when you take off the first tire and lower the brake drum onto the first car dolly but I kept checking to make sure it wouldn't tip over and it was solid. It's even more nerve racking when you jack up the second tire but once again, it's solid. Be sure to SLOWLY lower the Scamp onto the car dollies. Once you are done it is very easy to push the Scamp in any direction making it even easier to line it up with the garage opening.

I did contact customer support at Scamp and they assured me this would not damage the brake drums.

It's worth the effort for security reasons and keeping it out of the elements when not in use. I was able to lower it onto the car dollies by myself and only took about 20 to 30 minutes.
mkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Here is a photo with a wider view.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
mkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Name: William
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Willfree

Hi Mike, Thank you for your advice. My garage door opening is 83" high. The lowest point on the roller door is 80" high. My 2009 13' Scamp does not have 3W fan. Would you suggest raising the height of the roller door to 83" to get it in to my garage? Many thanks again for sharing your experience!
willfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfree View Post
Hi Mike, Thank you for your advice. My garage door opening is 83" high. The lowest point on the roller door is 80" high. My 2009 13' Scamp does not have 3W fan. Would you suggest raising the height of the roller door to 83" to get it in to my garage? Many thanks again for sharing your experience!
If your door is attached to an opener, pull the cord and free it. By hand, push the door to it's higher point and put a clamp of necessary strength to hold it in the high up position.

4 screws hold the lid of the Fantastic fan on, and I removed the lid, gaining 2" perhaps. I merely let all the air out of the tires and gained the necessary lowering. I did, however, employ the tractor and used the 3 pt hitch to back the Scamp into the garage. This allowed me to "teeter totter" the camper. Raising the front lowers the back and vice-versa, of course. It was close, just an inch to spare but it cleared my 83" opening. The Scamp was a brand new, 13' 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1774.jpg   DSCF1776.jpg  

DSCF1841.jpg  
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: In the market
Ca
Hope removing Max fan deluxe cover gives me 2 inches

trying to fit a scamp 13 into a 84" garage. It sounds like you just let the air out and removed the fan cover, rocking it Teeter totter worked for you? the fan on top of this Scamp is a max air fan. looks like it has a wedge inside the back edge. Do you know how many inches I'll gain/
Kelly on delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp