Scamp 13" tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Escape 19’ (had Scamp 16’)
Colorado
Question Scamp 13" tires

Noticed major tire problem on our 16' Scamp recently. Blowout probably would have occurred in less than 50 miles if I hadn't looked underneath and noticed chunk out of inside of tread. I'm concerned that with our side dinette floor plan with our oversized fridge, awning and a/c, that we are too close to the load limit for the standard load rating C tires, at least on the door side where we had the tire issue. I found only one 13" radial tire with a D load rating. It's made by Kenda and I can only find them online, complete with wheels to handle the extra air pressure and/or load. Anyone tried these Kenda Karrier D load rating tires yet?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Have you weighed your trailer for total and side to side weight.
How many miles were on the tire you removed and what was it's date of mfg.

"D" range isn't a real high load rating, nor is the 65PSI inflation pressure, so your original wheels will work fine.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: Escape 19’ (had Scamp 16’)
Colorado
Bought our Scamp last fall and have not had it weighed yet. Trying to figure out where I can get that done.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to check date of tire manufacture until after I'd replaced it. When we got the Scamp, the tires looked great, though we had 3 different brands! I noticed on this latest trip that this door side tire had worn severely on the edges as though it had been under-inflated even though we put no more than about 2800 miles on it and I checked pressure before every trip, always keeping 45-48 psi.

i hope to get it weighed before next season AND get fully matched tires. Any ideas on where I can get it weighed?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
IMHO, the best 13" trailer tires on the market are the Maxxis M8008. If you have a local Discount Tire, they will order them or you can buy from them on line.

2 NEW Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 175 80 13 TIRES R13 80R13 | eBay
Old 08-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #5

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Have not used Kenda trailer tires but I've used Kenda tires on my Nissan 4x4 and on my mountain bike, both with good results. They make a quality product that (in my experience) holds up as well as more familiar names.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I didn't care for the lack of extra capacity on the available 13 inch tires for my 16 foot Scamp so when I changed axles and I had to buy new wheels anyway for the 5 lug brakes and hubs I moved up to 14 inch wheels and tires. This meant new wheel wells etc.
I now have more safety margin and slower turning wheels.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Bought our Scamp last fall and have not had it weighed yet. Trying to figure out where I can get that done.

i hope to get it weighed before next season AND get fully matched tires. Any ideas on where I can get it weighed?
Colorado looks like a pretty big state so it's difficult to provide an exact location for getting weighed, but here's a few tips:
1. Truck stops often have scales for trucks and can also provide left/right balance info.
2. Scrap yards, gravel/landscape supply yards and trash transfer stations usually have scales.
3. Google "Public scales"

FWIW: The comment "tires looked pretty good" is usually what's said after an overage tire failure.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Trailer Weight

I got mine weighed at the local land fill for free. It came it at 3000# on the nose. That was unhooked from the TV. Holding tanks were full.
You can also get it weighed at truck stops for a fee such as Pilot ir T&A.
Some states will do it at weigh stations for free but suggest you call first.
My stock 13" Sccamp wheels are rated @ 1344 lbs each. The tires are 1360 lbs.
I need to weigh the tongue so that I can subtract that from the total. when I run dry I should be within the weight limits. I have had the tires wear, on other trailers, on the inside tread when overloaded but never had any chunks come out. hehe
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I bought one of these scales, so each side of the trailer can be weighed independently:
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780
If you get one, don't put it under the torsion axle tube because it can bend the axle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #10

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
I noticed this week with my 2014 Scamp 16 side dinette with large fridge, that my right side tire( curb side) was badly worn on the outside. I checked the toe in and found it to be towed in approx. 3/16"- 1/4" measured approx. 6-8"above the ground. I emailed Scamp this morning but have not received a reply yet. I spoke with my local trailer shop and they suggested a new torsion bar axle assembly, as there is no adjustment on these. What is your experience in cases like this?
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Don't bother emailing Scamp, it can sometimes take a week for a reply. Phone them and follow up with a letter. And what the heck is a "Torsion bar axle assembly" ?

if nothing else I would suspect a bent trailing arm.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Have not used Kenda trailer tires but I've used Kenda tires on my Nissan 4x4 and on my mountain bike, both with good results. They make a quality product that (in my experience) holds up as well as more familiar names.
I have Kenda Qwest bicycle tires on four of my bikes... its like having Bontrager AWs at a fraction of the cost and I like the look.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #13

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Bob
What the heck do you call it. You know what I am talking about. Can a bent trailing arm be straightened?
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

I don't know if they are stamped or cast... I'd take it to a frame & alignment shop to have them measure if one or both sides are toed in. They can do something called a "Centerline Alignment Check" I'd also contact the axle maker and see if there is a specification for tow in.

A good frame & alignment shop should be able to at least determine the exact problem. You may also be able to just replace the trailing arm. Again, ask the axle maker for specs and a parts breakdown.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I personally would not tow my trailer with miss matched tires or any that I did not know for sure were less than five years of age. Looking at them tells you nothing. RV tires tend to degrade from the inside out. Due to the weight of your trailer you probable should be inflating to max inflation rate as stated on the tire.

Have you taken off the wheel bearings and check to make sure the uneven wear is not due to a bad bearing? When when you stop for gas or what ever have you put your hand near the hub to feel for heat? Have the tires been balanced?

The Trailer Weights in The Real World Thread will give you a ball park weight expectation number. I know on my own trailer due to configuration that one side does weigh more than the other by about 75lbs and due to its configuration is hard to get a perfect side to side balance.

Keep in mind when looking at tires that you need to be aware of what the max pressure the rims are rated for - if you find a higher rated tire you may find that your rims are not rated for its max rating.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
OK Carol, you've mentioned something I've never heard of....a rim pressure rated? I can't see how any rim made in the last 50 years or more would be compromised by high pressure before the tire would blow out first. Now the old split truck rims, they were killers for sure with over filling.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
OK Carol, you've mentioned something I've never heard of....a rim pressure rated?
Sorry to say it but its VERY true. RIMS have a pressure rating even shiny new ones!

I know more than a few people here who have looked into it & have found its actually hard to find a higher load rated tire to fit the stock 16' Scamp that the rims pressure rated can handle.

Some wheels/rims are actually stamped with the load/pressure rating some are not so you would have to contact the trailer manufacture to find out what rims they had on the trailer.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #18

Registry
Dave go trailer-wheels.com and click on the photos of rims and you will see that each of them has a PSI rating.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #19

It looks like the good news is that most seem to be rated to 50 PSI or Load Range "C" which includes almost all ST tires (I think?).

Which begs the question of what to do if here is no Maximum PSI stamp.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I have never weighed my trailer from side to side but with both tires equally inflated to 50 lbs the length of tire patch, with tire on a 2x6, is the same within a 1/4 of an inch. Suggesting there is nearly the same load on each tire.

For reference my 1991 Scamp 16 with side bath has an axle weight of 2400 lbs with 200 lbs on the tongue. We use 13" Goodyear Marathons ST185/80R13s each rated for 1480 lbs at 50 PSI. We have never had a Marathon failure in our extended travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, tires