fiberglass floor trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
fiberglass floor trillium

I am replacing the tile floor on my 4500 trillium. After removing the tile and glue found that there are a few screws in the floor by the kitchen and the floor is cracked from one end to the other. I don`t think they should be there.

Dose any one know why the floor would be cracked like that ?

How should it be fixed?

On my 1300 trillium the floor is OK.
Attached Thumbnails
2015-05-02 14.32.38.jpg   2015-05-02 14.32.46.jpg  

2015-05-02 14.32.56.jpg   2015-05-09 13.19.46.jpg  

2015-05-09 13.20.52.jpg   2015-05-09 13.16.17.jpg  

2015-05-09 13.16.52.jpg   2015-05-09 13.17.16.jpg  

2015-05-09 13.17.27.jpg   2015-05-09 13.16.34.jpg  

caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:41 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Tom I really have no clue but the first thing that I would check would be the frame for a break. Sure seems that there has been some twisting and or wood rot going on to cause that. Our Trilly King David should be along soon with a better answer for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
It looks to me the crack you are referring to is the separate moulded sections of the kitchen , closets, beaches and is normal . The screws were added later to make a tighter fit for the flooring tiles . The screws could become a problem as water could penetrate around them and start a process of rot in the plywood.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Name: J.A. MICHEL
Trailer: TRILLIUM 1500
Quebec
Trillium Floor to kitchen joint

Had the same experience in 1997 when refitting a 1979 T-4500. As the joint between floor and kitchen cabinet module was too obvious, I made a carboard templace and cut to shape a 3/4" piece of hardwood frame about 2" wide that I glued with epoxy and firmly screwed into place making sure not to go through the outer layer of the fiberglass shell. Painted with oil based enamel, laid new floor tiles and never had any problem after. Holes drilled through floor should be sealed with epoxy. Notice that with T-4500, the frame is made of two lenghts, stalked and welded above the suspension.
J.A. MICHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Name: Tom
British Columbia
trillium floor

Well after reading the first two post ,I went out to check the frame. It is rusting and needs a good clean up and painting but it is OK. So next started checking under the front seats. The right side was wet from the under side , but the left side was just rotten , and it is rotten under the table . So I am guessing there is a lot of rot under the floor as well .One can feel high and low spots as you walk on the floor.

Can the top fiberglass of the floor be cut out and replace the plywood ,or will every thing have to come out to replace the plywood ?

PS Thanks for the feed back.
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Tom the main culprit for floor rot on the trillium is from the belly band or the windows leaking which must be addressed first. On some trilliums there is a channel with drain holes to let the water drain out but unfortunately yours probably doesn't . Repairing the existing floor would be a daunting task,I think you would be better to put a new sub floor on top and a good vinyl or allure floor on top of that
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

Name: J.A. MICHEL
Trailer: TRILLIUM 1500
Quebec
Hi! I'll have to give a closer look at the floor of both our T4500 79 and T1300 74 to see how the imbedded rotten plywood could be replaced for the main deck. As for the floor in the holds under the main table seats, I remember it was exposed plywood in bad shape that cleaned, dried and covered with a layer of nylon, paper machine screen, soaked with epoxy resin. Same with single front seat by the door. Almost bullet proof. Never felt any bump soft spot in the main deck. At first sight, a badly rotten plywood could easily peel off the under fg shell. A cut to shape piece of plywood could then be glued down in expoxy to eliminate voids where water could seep in. Then i'd cover with marine type fiberglass screen, just as done with a canoe or a boat. This would then be a perfect base for new flooring tiles... Et voilà.
J.A. MICHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #8

Name: Sylvie
St-hippolyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
It looks to me the crack you are referring to is the separate moulded sections of the kitchen , closets, beaches and is normal . The screws were added later to make a tighter fit for the flooring tiles . The screws could become a problem as water could penetrate around them and start a process of rot in the plywood.
Thank God I read your answer! I just bought a 4500, pulled out the carpet as the fan was badly installed by previous owner and started leaking today. I found this huge « crack » in the same place, with the screws and tape and gunk over it. For a moment there I was thinking to myself , what the heck did I get into buying this and not thinking to unstick the carpet while inspecting before I bought it ». Research on this site, same pics of the same crack, read your answer to it. THANK YOU !!!! So happy I don’t have a cracked egg !
SylvieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've seen several 4500s with soft floors in the area near that seam in the floor. Bad design. If I was working on a 4500 that did not have soft spots, I'd be tempted to fiberglass that seam. I've also seen a few with rot in the rear dinette area. Some have pieced in plywood to repair the floor on the rear dinette.

I've posted a picture on the Trillium FG where someone removed the body from the frame, rolled it on its side, cut out the bottom of the trailer, replaced the plywood, repaired the fiberglass, and put it back on the frame. That qualifies as a MAJOR job.

Plywood is exposed on my 1300 at the edge of the front gaucho (inside the bench) and underneath the refrigerator. The pontoon design offers some protection in those areas.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium