first adventure out with beachcomber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
good day all. wow!! we had a great 3 days of camping in our 11ft. beachcomber. loved it.
but after days of in and out of trailer my leg is killing me. ( had accident a few years ago and now have nerve damage) i guess the impact of coming out of trailer unto the ground pounds the nerve endings . does anyone have any suggestions about what we could put on the ground to make it less of a distance to descend. at the same time it must be very secure so that it does not slip as we are coming on to it. as we are new to this camping, we are finding this forum very educational . thanks all . lorraine
Lori-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
is a bit spenThis is a bit spendy, but it's very stable and antiskid. The height is 8" with the legs out, 3" with legs folded. I made for wooden blocks with a recess to get to about 5" height. The height of the door sill above the ground determins which configuration I use.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #3

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Lorraine,

I had the same problem. My husband made a wide sturdy box using 1x6 treated lumber. We place it on the ground below the door and it works great with our Scamp.

Nita

Quote:
good day all. wow!! we had a great 3 days of camping in our 11ft. beachcomber. loved it.
but after days of in and out of trailer my leg is killing me. ( had accident a few years ago and now have nerve damage) i guess the impact of coming out of trailer unto the ground pounds the nerve endings . does anyone have any suggestions about what we could put on the ground to make it less of a distance to descend. at the same time it must be very secure so that it does not slip as we are coming on to it. as we are new to this camping, we are finding this forum very educational . thanks all . lorraine
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Lorraine,

I had the same problem. My husband made a wide sturdy box using 1x6 treated lumber. We place it on the ground below the door and it works great with our Scamp.

Nita
great idea thanks lorraine
Old 08-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
is a bit spenThis is a bit spendy, but it's very stable and antiskid. The height is 8" with the legs out, 3" with legs folded. I made for wooden blocks with a recess to get to about 5" height. The height of the door sill above the ground determins which configuration I use.
i looked at the step , looks good but yes it is a bit pricy. but you know safety comes first. thanks for the help. lorraine
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have the metal stool and it's great. It goes on sale every once in awhile ... if the rubber feet wear out, as ours did, just purchase rubber tips for a cane. Wal-Mart sells them.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We use an E-Z Fold Step Stool purchased from Canadian Tire. The same product is sold at various home and hardware outlets, department stores, RV suppliers (e.g. Camping World), and apparently AsSeenOnTV. The current regular price at Canadian Tire is about $20 (Canadian), but it is routinely on sale for half of that.

The stool is sturdy and folds easily to a flat package. It is not very big, so you do have to watch where you are stepping.

We find that it is just the right height to split the rise into our B1700 in two, but the Beachcomber probably has a lower step-in height than the 16" (ground to trailer floor) of our bigger Boler. Byron's configurable setup sounds slick, and would be nice for those uneven campsites.

I find it is handy to have a portable step like this around the trailer, for reaching the top for whatever reason arises.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hi, i don't know if you can find one of these but i have a STERILITE oval step , ten inches high with wide spread legs. it came from a garage sale but i think you might look for one on a website. it can support up to 300 pounds. it really won't tip over. i do not like the poor quality of most sterilite products but this really is sturdy with heavy bracing inside the step. it even has a handsize hole in the center for carrying and a textured bumpy top. what more can you ask than a textured bumpy top?????????
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
what more can you ask than a textured bumpy top?????????
Um, [b]Hair?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Quote:
My family and I have used for years are the aerobic exercise steps. They are about 2-1/2' long x 18" wide and some have risers. Be on the look out at garage sale and thrift stores.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler Honey
Great idea Linda! My little stepstool is the perfect height but tends to be tippy if I don't step exactly in the center. Im a yard sale junkie and will be looking for exercise steps now. Then I can tell my doctor that when Im camping I get regular exercise!
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
My family and I have used for years are the aerobic exercise steps. They are about 2-1/2' long x 18" wide and some have risers. Be on the look out at garage sale and thrift stores.

Linda
thanks this is a fantastic idea. keeping eyes open for an exercise stepper.

Tags
beachcomber