looking for a book on restoring a 15' Beachcomber fibreglass trail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 1979 15 ft Beachcomber
Hi everybody. I have just bought my first fibreglass travel trailer. It's a 1987, 15' Beachcomber travel trailer. It has a small bathroom in it. I need to remove the floor as it has water damaged, and it has a strong smell of mildew. So I may have to replace the wall paneling and many other things. So, my question is, Is there a repair and painting manual or a DVD to tell me how to strip and rebuild a fibreglass trailer? I'm getting a lot of ideas from you who have rebuild your trailer in the past but I have a lot of other questions, like what will I find when I remove the plywood on the floor?? Anything special I should do?

So any help will be appreciated. By the way, I love this site.

Dollard
Dollard LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nope, no single book/DVD, but lots of helpful people on this site to give tips and tricks, support and motivation. The best thing for you and this site, is to document the work with pictures and text. Then share with all of us what you've done and found. The archives then become invaluable to the next person doing what you have done.

If you have questions, it's best to ask one question at a time (or one question in a topic).

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Dollard... Most Mfg's of these "EGGS" are out of business. The rebuilds are not "By the book" and a lot of Previous Owners cut corners. Get as much info as you can then make a decision if the job you are doing is right or not!!! For instance in our '77 Boler the P.O. used cheap plastic water taps so they dribbled constantly. He used hydraulic hose for the water lines...EEEW!!! He painted the exterior to match "HIS" truck not our "Tug"!!! Wired the 12v. water pump backwards and was about to add a garden tractor variety 12v. battery under the front bunk!!! To say the least I feel we rescued the trailer from a fate...etc. I am no R.V. Tech but I do know the right way to do things.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Starcraft Star Lite 25RQH
It might be best if you take pics as you dismantle as well as when you put back together. That way if you need help before you start a phase, you can post a pic and get some reaction from an owner who has had the same problem. You will have lots of fun and learn a whole new skill. Yours in Bolering. Jim
Jim Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #5

Thank you for all the help. You guys are very helpful. Plus as I read the other notes on this great site, I see it's an adventure for everybody. I've written alot of helpful hints from cleaning the fibreglass, the plexiglass, (Braso got lots of that) to total renovation. I will take pictures as I go. Before and afer pictures. Great idea to take a picture of a problem, put it on line and see who had and fix that problem.
My first repair after the Vehicle Inspection and maintenance of all the systems, is to replace the wet and mildew floor, wash the whole inside, and go camping. Total renovetion may become a winter project after I get all my plans and facts together, unless I get energetic and do it right away. I will leave the propane, fridge and stove to the experts at my local trailer Dealer Shop.
So watch for photos coming soon.

Dollard
Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I would send for the Jamestown Distributors general boating catalog from www.JamestownDistributors.com there are free tech support books regarding fiberglass, a forum, and a whole load of stuff, they also have free phone tech help to ask questions from about materials usually guided toward fiberglass boats, also they produce a 18.00 how to on fiberglass tech. Which when you get to repairs is invaluable and a couple of 4.00 manuals available, also incl. with their services is free tech support so that you do not purchse materials that react with each other. (not all materials play well together) they are knowedgable about single part and two part urathanes and epoxies, and two part primers...adhesive removers which are safe to fiberglass tecnologies...The catalog is free and the website contains a part of the cataloge inventories...You really want the general catalog, there are two, the General catalog is 1168 pages and its free on 1st order, the first catalog they will send you free on request is a little one.

When you order even the free "how to stuff" or the DVD I use, which has three books on it about fiberglass repair for 18.00, you get the mother catalog with that order. Granted this is a boat catalog and some may scratch heads why I suggest it...However thats what you have only its on wheels, there are paints that retard mold and mildew growth not generally available except on the coasts regionally...Boats can have the same issues as fiberglass trailers...There are vintage trailer sites I have used too... This board has been an excellent contact place for knowlege for me...While I have read its forums for years only. I only recently surfaced as a name and registered here. I have found other trailer forums too...but not better or more open.

Hope it helps.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
As has been mentioned, the boat/yacht folks have an extensive history of making mods and enhancements to their vehicles of choice. This has resulted in many books and magazines that address the subject.

My favorite books are:

"The Finely Fitted Yacht -- A Boat Improvement Manual" by Ferenc Mate'

"Boat Interior Construction -- A Bestselling Guide to DIY Interior Boatbuilding" by Michael Naujok

"Boat Joinery & Cabinetmaking Simplified" by Fred P. Bingham

Good luck on your project.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. I will look for those books, again this is a great site.

Dollard

Tags
beachcomber