beachcomber in new brunswick - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
beachcomber in new brunswick

1978-beach comber - Moncton Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Moncton Canada.

seen on kijiji tonight

NOT my trailer.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: Beachcomber
Nova Scotia
Registry
I just bought that trailer yesterday!
rambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #3

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambit View Post
I just bought that trailer yesterday!
Welcome to the site!
I cant wait to see pictures! what kind of shape is it in? looks like you got a great deal.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Nova Scotia
Registry
Here you go. Not sure where to start yet. Lots of leaks found so far.
Attached Thumbnails
image-4206547764.jpg   image-3345317837.jpg  

image-1473711922.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Its great to see another beachcomber join the site. Where is the front window rock guard that was in the kijiji ad? those seem to be fairly rare for some reason. Start a thread after you give it a thorough once over, and let us know what you find for leaks. There is getting to be quite a few beachcombers on this site, and been a few complete rebuilds. What is your plan for the trailer?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #6

Nova Scotia
Registry
I plan to gut the interior, fix the leaks, replace the panelling, and, if i can find the right parts, install a shower and porta pottie. After the interior work is successful, will give it a coat of paint.

I say paint it white, she says top half one colour bottom half another. Any suggestions or thoughts?

The rock guard is here, in the back of the truck. However the owner told me that he lost it a couple of times so he doesn't put it on the window when he drives around. Kinda funny, considering that's its purpose.

Seems like the trailer is tilting a couple inches one way. I'm thinking it has something to do with the trailing arm, but haven't been able to look due to rain so far. Anybody seen issues like this before?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Let the fun begin! What side is it listing to? I did not notice any lean on mine, that is until I got it gutted and sitting in my driveway. I know my driveway slopes to the curb side of the trailer, and this is the way it appears to be leaning. The tire is low on air at the moment also. I will not know if I am truly leaning until I get the full kitchen back in, and pull it out onto a flat surface. But to answer your question, these axles can wear unevenly. 40 plus years of sitting on rubber can take its toll.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
When you get a chance, measure your ride height, and we can compare.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #9

Nova Scotia
Registry
Drivers side is down 2-3". I'll have to jack it up and check it out. Whenever it stops raining, that is.

When I tear the interior out of this, will I need to support the fibreglass shell? Any suggestions on where to start? I plan on reusing as much of the framework as I can salvage, just replacing rotten boards, and re paneling most of it.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #10

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
If you are down that far on one side, it looks as though a new axle is in your future, but at the price you paid, you are still way ahead of the game. As far as starting the gut, pull the interior cabinetry, I left the closet, It helped support things and was easy enough to work around. Then remove the windows, and start on the paneling, SAVE EVERYTHING! Try and not break the panelling as you remove it, as these will be very useful patterns for the new stuff. the floor should be pulled last, and be the first back in. If the trailer has been leaking, the floor is probably rotten. At this point you will have glassed in "sticks" attached to the outside shell, remove and replace as necessary. The shell will stand up on its own, so no worries there. The sticks in the wall are mainly used to give room for insulation, and provide something to attach the panels to. Start a detailed thread in modifications, and you will get a lot more views, always provide pictures, we all love pics, and it keeps the advice givers happy.
I will help out in any way I can.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
Registry
Just posted a new thread. With a list of some of the "features" of the trailer.

In there is a picture of the drivers side wheel. You can get a feel for the sag on that side.

Where would I find a replacement axle at? For a 2000 lb trailer, would you get a 3500lb axle?
Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #12

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
I will direct all further responses to your other thread. I would stay with the 2000 lb axle. A 3500 lb would be to rough a ride in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the site from the East Coast
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks. Looks like there's lots of info here!!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
chris---i am so happy for you, finding the beachcomber! did you find if yourself on kijiji or did my link help you find it?.....i am just wondering as to the efficacy of posting referral trailers.
despite its problems, it is going to be awesome once you are finished. lots of photos, please, to keep us with you along your rebuild.
are you planning on heading with it to the baddeck rally in july????
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #16

Nova Scotia
Registry
I had just arrived home with the trailer when I saw your post. Saw it on kijiji the other day and had to make a run out there ASAP to get it. We were looking for a fibreglass trailer for a few months now.

Not sure it'll be drive able in July. Hoping to drive it to Ontario in August maybe. Depending on how many sunny days I can get to work on it. Either way were looking forward to playing with it.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #17

Name: Andrea
New Brunswick
Hi... A fellow canadian east-coaster! We are from nb and just bought a 76 TM15 about a month ago. I am very excited to follow all this great advice about restoring it.
Abelczew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #18

Nova Scotia
Registry
There's lots of good advice on here. It seems like we all get into different issues when we start tearing things apart, but there seems to always be someone who has come across that before. Good luck on your restore, if that's what you choose to do!! If you have any questions, ask away

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
beachcomber