Where to mount a bike rack on a 13 ft Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #21

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
You can also have a 2" receiver mounted on the rear of the trailer. I did this on my 19 5er. Only you need to come off the trailer frame and have an experienced welder do the job.
We make a bolt-on rear receiver hitch for Scamps....
Scamp Travel Trailer Products

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #22

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
A 10 ft kayak inside a 13 ft egg? Ha Ha My kayak is 17 ft....best to go with an origami ORU kayak and stow it inside the trailer - Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box
Marilyn,
That is a great idea! I was thinking, If you packed your kayak before final assembly it would bee a lot easier than pushing gear through a tiny deck hatch! Good discussion as I will be hauling bikes along with my 13' some day too...
Gary
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #23

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
bike rack

i had a hitch receiver welded to the back of our trailer . we can now put most things back there . tow a boat , or insert a rack , for whatever , barbeque . or outside cook stove. or bike or whatever turns your crank . limited only to your emagination .
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #24

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
What do you think of this? Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2" - 100 lbs Stromberg Carlson Trailer Cargo Control CC-275
Looks like a good option for the 13' Scamp.
mc_burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
We make a bolt-on rear receiver hitch for Scamps....
Scamp Travel Trailer Products

Jim
A very nice well designed one at that!!

One very happy customer!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Can you design a rack to put the kayaks on the roof of the Scamp???

Then the bikes can go on the roof of the Outback.

By doing it this way the weight of kayaks, bikes, and racks get evenly distributed across all 6 of the car and trailer axles.

PS.... For years we have been taking the front wheel off the bikes and securing them in the trailer. It works.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Caution must be taken to insure an adequate turning radius.
Our front rack is mounted as close as practical to the trailer which allows for a full 90 degree turn.
Mounting the bikes facing opposite directions and over lapping allows for a compact configuration, as does getting the bikes high enough to allow the inside bike handle bar to take some advantage of the curvature of the front of the trailer.
I saw one earlier this year on a Casita which broke the taillights on the TV in a moderately sharp turn.
Rack and bicycle damage could also result.
Properly done, a tongue rack is the best way to transport bikes on a small fiberglass trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As Marilyn stated in the #1 post. They are towing with a Subaru Outback, and adding anything that will increase tongue weight or receiver load may not be in their best interest.

But, that said, the Stromberg Carlson bike rack is pretty cool, but only if tongue weight is not a problem.

And I have seen a very long Kayak in a 13 foot FGRV. It was done by making the back window an opening window, proving that Ol' Pete & his theory was right!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Can you design a rack to put the kayaks on the roof of the Scamp???

The Scamp is not designed to take a weight load on the roof so unless they are VERY light kayaks it could be a disaster. Not to mention the difficulty in actually getting them up there and secure - which could in itself result in a disaster or two to the party trying to do it
Old 02-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #30

Maryland
I have a 2014 outback so I know what you mean about the tongue weight limit. And after looking deeper into the Stromberg rack mount I see it is 49lbs. Add a rack and 2 bikes and things are really pushing the limit! We replaced the factory cross bars with Yakima Racks like in this photo. http://ep.yimg.com/ay/orsracksdirect...ding-pad-1.gif We are able to carry a canoe (or 2 recreational kayaks on their sides) and 2 bikes on the roof. The yakima racks are strong but I will just never trust that factory plastic junk that it is connected to. We have 2 very young kids so as they get older and their bikes get bigger, things will get complicated fast!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #31

Maryland
floyd brought up a good point about turning radius, but I wonder if this would work, at least with smaller bikes... Swagman XP Towing Rack - Folding 3 Bike Rack for 2" Trailer Hitches Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64955

(With only 2 bikes packed as close to each other as possible)!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Old solution:
Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRack-1.jpg   InsideBikeRack-2.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_burrito View Post
The yakima racks are strong but I will just never trust that factory plastic junk that it is connected to.
I would not worry about the factory roof racks! I have owned several Outbacks and a member of my family has tested the factory racks to the extreme on two occasions. Has driven full speed ahead into a covered parking area with mountain bikes on the roof the car. In both cases the rather expensive Yakima and Thule bike components attached to the cars factory roof mounts ripped of in a tangled mess along with the bikes. The factory installed roof racks remained on - although in the latest incident one of the cross bars did twist a little. Was able to purchase a replacement for it from Subaru.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #34

Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
Front Mount works

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 8.00.15 PM.png
Views:	53
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	80336
what can be easier
OscarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarD View Post
Attachment 80336
what can be easier
Until you get pulled over for obstructing your headlights and turn signals, I guess.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #36
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarD View Post
Attachment 80336
what can be easier
Looks like a solution with bikes up front but to add to Glenn's post you killed the vehicle's aerodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Old solution:
Donna, for sure no idea is perfect. We found that with the bikes in the trailer they stay secure, clean, dry, and bug free. I also like the unobstructed view of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
infiniti front IMG_3321889.jpg   superior 2008.jpg  

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #37

Name: J
Isle of Wight
A possible solution for 1 bike at the front....
Attached Thumbnails
shelf_with_bike.jpg  
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #38

Name: Handley
New York
bike carrier

The sky is not blue. The air is blue from the frustration
of trying to add pictures to a reply showing how I
made a carrier for bikes. It will just not work for me.
The carrier mounts on the hitch of the tow vehicle.
Send a PM and I will reply via e-mail. I know how
to do that.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #39

Name: Suzy
Trailer: '74 Perris Pacer
California
I put all 5 of our mountain bikes inside. The rear table stays down as a bed and I put old blankets down to protect the cushions then I put 4 of the bikes in standing up with their front wheels on the bed. I put cardboard or old towels in between where the pedals or anything else might scrape on the others then bungee them all together tightly. The fifth bike I put on the front couch, again on an old blanket and bungeed tightly. Sleeping bags in their stuff sacks make great padding, too, then I just pack stuff around them. I've gotten pretty quick at it so that it's actually less time and hassle than putting them on the bike rack and DEFINITELY easier than getting them down from a roof rack on an SUV!
Suzy I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #40

Name: Penny
Trailer: Burro 13’
Colorado
I have an ebike (Pedego Element) that I want to transport inside my 13’ Burro. Any suggestions of how to secure it?
LuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp