no longer egg-less! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler Honey

I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the general chat section or in the for sale forum where I have been hanging out for the last year! But, there is a change in my profile, I am no longer eggless and just had to share!
I feel like Santa brought me a Christmas present. A few weeks ago, I searched craigslist in the bay area as I do nearly every day and found a "bowler" trailer for free. It took me a minute to realize bowler=boler! I wasn't the first to respond to the ad, second as usual. But the first responder wasn't showing up to pick up the trailer, and the owner needed it to be gone by the end of the month. I took a day off and made the 200 mile trip to pick it up. 4 hours over and 7 hours back! No troubles. Just rain and traffic.
This little guy had been parked for 15 years. But the tires weren't cracked, the bearings still had grease and the lights worked. It pulled like a champ. The door tried to come open, but we wired it shut. And for the guy that thought I was too picky---it has mold inside and was slimy green outside. But that seemed reasonable for the price. Its a honey of a trailer....boler honey that is. Now Im trying to find that picture I saw about a year ago of a honey that had been restored. (It sure is hard to search when Im jumping for joy!
Thanks so much to all the folks that have helped me find a trailer, and you can bet I'll be here looking for advice!
Merry Christmas to all.
And thanks to the wonderful family that passed on this beautiful little trailer.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Congrats on your freebie trailer.... just make sure it's not haunted.

And get them scrub brushes ready!!!
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe

Linda I know you've been all the trailers for sale...and the frustrations that were going along with it. This was meant to be!!!!!!!! You got a Honey of a trailer...wooohoo. Can't wait to see some pics.

As you probably know, we were hacked 11/12/05 and any pictures within the forums were lost. We don't have any Honey pictures in the albums...maybe you'd like to contribute some when you get the new-to-you baby all cleaned up?

I purchased my Scamp, also as a Christmas present to myself on December 10, 2000. Sound like Santa was pushing the time limit for you a bit tighter. Now ask him for a set of new tires...ya gonna need them real soon....like before you pull it out of it's parking spot the next time.

CONGRATULATIONS
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Free is a very good price!

As long as the structure is sound, the rest is easy! Congrats!

Change those tires and bearings anyway, fresh start where you'll KNOW you are as safe as can be, and buy masks.. have at it!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
hooray, linda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you live in california, maybe the lady in maine who did over the scamps that were trashed would like to visit with her clorox!! she did a great job of turning one into a delight from a fright.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
I owned a car repair shop for 30 years and when someone bought something used I always sad put 10 % of service and repairs back into it.
When you got the Boler free this gets tossed out.
But I would start by doing all safety items first and interior with alot of elbow grease.
Glad to hear you got one.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Wow! Linda, that's a great story. Way to go! Hey, you should come to the Oregon Gathering next July. Here's info about it:

Oregon Gathering Information (Click Here)

Or you can write to me at: ORGathering@watsonmounain.com

Again, congratulations and welcome to the family of glass.
Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Linda,
Sounds like you got a "honey" of a deal. Let the scrubbing begin.
Even before the scrubbing starts as Gina and Donna suggested, replace those bearings and tires. Now that you've managed to acquire her please don't take any more chances on losing her.
Congratulations and thanks for allowing us to share your excitement and good fortune. You've proved that does indeed still exist.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
YEAH LINDA!!!! LOL! Free? Congratulations for finding one you could afford!

I agree with everyone about replacing the bearings and tires. Heck replace the whole axle! I'm sooo gald I did.

Please post some pictures of your find
Old 12-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congratulations Linda! Wow! Too Cool! I can just hear the folks who gave it away... "Can't believe somebody'd take that ol' junk trailer outta here! Ha Ha Ha!" And you laughing all the way home!

I agree with all the tire-and-bearing replacers. And NOW, your job is to POST PHOTOS! We ALL wanna see it!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #11

Ok, here's the "before" pics.
Roger, the young lady I got it from played in it as a child, and could see its possibilities, but was realistic that she probably would not get around to fixing it. I appreciate it all the more for that!
Attached Thumbnails
boler_honey_front_r.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

You are brave! I am sure that will turn out clean and shiny, and just the way you want it after all your hard work tho!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wow!
What a very Merry Christmas!
I think it looks beautiful. Like a diamond in the ruff.

If on the other hand you think that it's too much to handle then you can give me a call.
But I won't hold my breath.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Actually, it's quite beautiful!

I'm sure it will be a first-class egg once you finish the repairs and upgrades.

Congratulations!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #15

Thanks for the encouraging words, Gina. The biggest surprise was finding that the cabinet fell off the wall on the trip. I bought 4 gallons of bleach a while back, then decided it wasn't good for my septic tank. My first round of cleanup won't even cost me anything!

I do appreciate all the advice about the tires. I do intend to replace them and am happy that nothing happened on the trip home. I guess I'll need 3, there is a spare on the back.

James, You are wise to not hold your breath. I've been lookin at eggs for years, and seriously searching for about a year. I want to give this one a renewed life.

If anyone has seen any sites with pictures of a honey, let me know. This seems to have all original equipment, including the upholstery and furnace. Are the furnaces repairable? I haven't needed a furnace camping yet, but who knows?

I noticed the fittings are there for a bunk, but no poles or upper bunk. I also noticed a metal piece to the left of the inside of the door. What is this? Does it cover the inside of the hinges?

Donna, youre welcome to add these pics to the albums if you wish, but..would you rather wait for "after" pictures?

Ok, Im too excited to think about this any more. After all, it is Christmas eve and I have to get up in the morning. Thank you all for all your help, and you can bet I'll be checking all the help forums and keeping in touch. With a little luck, maybe I can make the Oregon gathering this summer.

Merry Christmas, y'all!
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #16

Registry
Cool

Oh dear!!!! Linda I have to laugh!!! I can walk you through this because I've been there. You don't happen to be on the Cingular cell phone network do you?

The furnace might actually work. I think furnaces are a good thing.

The metal square tubing to the left of the door is to help support the wall where the door hangs.

I took my bunk out and made a small dinette in front. Many others have done the same and consider it a great mod.

As for the bleaching......take everything out that can't get wet. I took out all the appliances. most of the wiring (it was a MESS), and the front bunk back (there were no other cushions or curtains). I even took out all the windows because they needeed to be resealed. I then jacked it up so the water could run out the door, drug the hose in, put on some gloves and started scrubbing.

The recommended bleach ratio is one part bleach to 32 parts water. Be really careful about the bleach fumes, very bad stuff. Use some fans if you have them. I also scrubbed with 409, TSP, and dawn dish soap. I was lucky it was during the summer so I could wear shorts and a tshirt and get wet. It took several scrubbings. Then I set up fans and a heater to help completely dry it so the mold wouldn't start over again.

Don't you just love your trailer? I love mine too!
Old 12-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #17

Lizbeth,
Thanks for the encouraging words and the advice. And yes, I do have Cingular cell service!

I think I will plan this all out, then do the actual cleaning when it isn't quite as cold and rainy as right now. Summer up here hits over 100 regularly and things dry quickly. (Jeans dry faster on the line than in the dryer in the summer) I love the idea of jacking it up so the water runs out. One thing that is impressive is there is so much of it that won't be damaged by some water: the fiberlass table, the fiberglass interior and the cabinets.
I think there are things I can work on before that: making the new cabinet doors, for example. The "laminate" has peeled off and they have warped. I thought wood doors would be nice. Suggestions?

One window will have to be removed, no glass. Im planning now and will probably take time off to work on it later in the year.

One good point: the ice box is in excellent condition. No mold on the inside. Nice yellow color outside.

I have a patch outside which seems to have been painted. Is it better to try to paint the outside bottom or shine it up? I think I may have to paint because the painted patch doesnt match.

All other thoughts are welcome. And I will be reading all the help forum threads that I can.

Thanks again.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Whoo-hoo - we'll add our congrats on finding the Egg just right for you, our encouragement re: tires & bearings, and our admiration for your energy in bringing this gem back to life. Hope to see you & the Honey at the Gathering! L 'n D
Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #19

Does anyone know if there is something I can use after I get it clean to help stop regrowth of mold? I know there are paint additives, but I also don't know if I would want something like that in the inside of my trailer. Also, is it likely that I can clean it without having to replace the ensolite? It isn't torn anywhere that I have found yet, its just moldy.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #20

Registry
Mold needs food, moisture and stagnant air to thrive. Once your trailer is clean and dry it shouldn't be a problem. I painted with Zinsser Perma White paint. http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35 So far so good.

I personally would try very hard to save the ensolite. Replacing it is a big, hard, expensive job.

You can also rent an ozone air purifier to knock down any remaining mold smells and spores.

Tags
eggcamper