Fiberglass Teardropp by Eggcamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #21

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Maybe the measurements are not that far off, but in these trailers, inches make a huge difference. Just a few inches here and there can go from cramped and claustrophobic to open and spacious and allows for much more maneuverability.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although the overall EXTERNAL dimensions are very close, the internal dimensions are actually quite different. Biggest significant change is the interior width. That 88 inches of width includes two fairly wide exterior fenders. Overall effect is this: In a 13' egg - you sleep sideways, in a teardrop you sleep lengthwise. This leaves a LOT more open space in the egg for other things. In most teardrops, the entire interior space is used as "bed". On the upside - it's probably a wider and longer bed than in any of the 13' eggs.

mkw

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Greg:

A little advice from another wife. Listen to your wife. Get the 13' trailer. Not even our 13' camper kept me satisfied. We traded it for a 16'. I wanted the space for a bathroom, and now both husband and I are loving the fact that we don't bump into one another like we did before.

CindyL
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I vote with the wife.
Experience speaking....

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
If anyone has knowledge of one of these out here in California have them post on this board.
Do keep in mind we are not a Teardrop-camper forum. Yes, it looks like Eggcamper has come up with one that is of molded fiberglass, but there are, as has been pointed out already, better sites for researching Teardrops.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You are correct, maybe I should look elsewhere for my search.
I want to think all for your comments and for those that sent me a PM, I will continue my search for the right fiberglass camper that fits our personalities and our camping needs.
As for teardrop trailer I already own one of them and the boards that i visit and vintage trailer rallies we attend have resulted in meeting some really good people whom are willing to help no matter what type of trailer you have.
Again thanks for all the good quality post that were truly trying to help, but as Mary has made it all so obvious I will not find what Im looking for on this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_049.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	10855
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Do keep in mind we are not a Teardrop-camper forum. Yes, it looks like Eggcamper has come up with one that is of molded fiberglass, but there are, as has been pointed out already, better sites for researching Teardrops.
I don't see that it should make a lot of difference between shapes of molded fiberglass RVs. The common element as stated in the top banner is "Molded Lightweight Fiberglass RV". You can't get much lighter in a molded fiberglass RV than tear-drop style.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We do have several teardrop owners on FiberglassRV, but I agree with Mary. If looking specifically for information about teardrops, even molded teardrops, Greg would have more luck and get more information on a forum dedicated to teardrops. Our focus is a bit different.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #28

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Greg -- I will add a slightly different perspective. I sold my Scamp 13 DLX to purchase a teardrop. For my needs, I went with a LittleGuy 4-wide Retro. My wife and I have used it several times since we purchased it in September, and are loving it. I can tow it with my Saturn SW2 wagon, and get roughly 30mpg. It is 4-feet wide, which gives as much bed space as a typical fiberglass camper, but the advantage is that the walls are on both sides, and straight. So, one person doesn't lose space to curvature while the other feels like they are falling off the edge. So, from experience, I would argue that teardrops sleep better than most larger fiberglass campers. If sleep is your primary use of a camper, I think the teardrop wins, hands down.

However, as has been pointed out, teardrops typically are pretty limited on space for much beyond sleeping. That is a significant difference with the EggCamper teardrop. Looking at the pictures, it isn't a typical teardrop. First of all, based on the measurements, it appears that the shell is 10' or 10.5' long - as long or longer than a Scamp 13. It appears that it has a seating bench in the front, a small floorspace for legs while seated, and then a sizable bed of at least 60" wide (how does that sound to most folks reading this?!) The height isn't stand-up-and-stretch tall, but it certainly is get-dressed-fairly-easily tall. It even appears to have plenty of room for a porta-potty. As far as cooking out in the rain, well ..., there are compromises with any choice. With our LittleGuy, we have a 9x12 dining canopy, and just park the teardrop under the canopy, so we can cook in the dry.

Since you are coming from the teardrop world, and no doubt have great associations with your experiences over the years, I think the EggCamper teardrop is a very viable option for you, assuming your wife comes to think along the same lines. If she doesn't, I think I'd recommend going with her choice.

By the way, the Eggcamper teardrop is a fully-qualified Lightweight Fiberglass RV, and this forum had better get used to the idea, because with gas prices what they are, we are going to see more and more campers such as the Eggcamper teardrop. My two cents.

Best wishes on your quest, Greg. Just make sure that your wife is happy with the choice.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
In general concepts, the Eggcamper Teardropp is very similar to the Genesis by American Sport Trailer, which was discussed here earlier:
  • moulded fiberglass body construction (that's why both are discussed here)
  • traditional "teardrop"-style outside-galley layout (that's why they're not normal "travel trailers")
  • standup headroom (unlike traditional teardrops)
The Genesis has a much higher equipment level and much greater weight (and not a teardrop profile), so they don't directly compare, but many of the issues raised in the Genesis discussion are likely of interest to anyone considering the Eggcamper Teardropp.

There are also the previous Eggcamper Teardropp discussions:
EggCamper's Teardropp
The Eggcamper Teardrop?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Here's the Scamp/Teardropp data reformatted to line up comparable specifications, and provide feet-and-inches for both:
Code:
               Scamp 13'       Teardropp
Overall Length   13'              166" (13'10")
Overall Height    7'4"             83" ( 6'11")
Overall Width     6'8"             88" ( 7' 4")
Interior Length  10'
Interior Width    6'6"
Interior Height                    67" ( 5' 7")
Weight*          1000 lbs.        895 lbs
Hitch Weight*      85 lbs.        140 lbs
Hitch Height      18"
Ball Hitch         2"
Tire               13" B rating
Sleeps           2 to 4 people
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I like teardrops, I think they are really cool. It's funny because I was looking for a teardrop when I bumped into my 13' Burro.
I never saw on before, I did see a 16' Casita several years before but probably forgot about it.
Anyway, once I saw the Burro I just bought it.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper