Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #81

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McMorris View Post
Mark, Thom, and Brian;
Do all of you have HI-RUN ST 205/75/D14 tires on your ParkLiner? Is it possible that these tires are out of specification? Regarding your axle, I believe ParkLiner changed from FlexRide axles to Dexter axles at some point in production. Do you know what brand axle you have?

Tim,
What brand of tires is on your ParkLiner? Since your unit is a bit older, I am assuming your ParkLiner has a FlexRide axle. Is that correct?

Mark
Mark, I also have Hi-Run tires and I do have the flexride axle.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #82

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McMorris View Post
Mark, Thom, and Brian;
Do all of you have HI-RUN ST 205/75/D14 tires on your ParkLiner? Is it possible that these tires are out of specification? Regarding your axle, I believe ParkLiner changed from FlexRide axles to Dexter axles at some point in production. Do you know what brand axle you have?

Tim,
What brand of tires is on your ParkLiner? Since your unit is a bit older, I am assuming your ParkLiner has a FlexRide axle. Is that correct?

Mark
Yes on the above - HI-RUN ST 205/75/D14 and Dexter axle.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #83

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Just checked... it is welded in 10 points and looks a part of the frame/trailer. nicely done...but not coming out easy!

I wonder how they adjust them? Pull out the guts? Replace? just random ponderings that don't mean a thing either way It'll get done. I'll do some reading just for fun before watching some SciFi with Cari.
The angle on a Dexter axle arm is set at the factory and cannot be adjusted. To change it you have to replace it.

Looks to me that there just isn't enough room in the wheel well for the size of the tire installed.

But as the Spanke family motto goes "We may be wrong, but we're never in doubt."

Spanke
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #84

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
I gotta remember i'm rubbing elbows with a bunch of easterners...you guys get the jump on me with your early rising and yes the SciFi night was good. We can hardly wait to hit the theater for the new Star Trek.

Yuppers:
HI-RUN ST 205/75/D14

and though i don't know the model number of axle though i would imagine it is the same as Brian's #34 and Mark's #37.

(Post script note...i just now saw the above post by Spanke, must have posted as i was composing this thought: )

I remember reading over at the ExpeditionPortal.com forum about a guy that had some adjustments made to his dexter by the manufacturer at time of order, something to do with making the trailing arm's angle greater so it came with more ground clearance...i have no idea if that is an available post-delivery type adjustment or not.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #85

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I just took a ride over to my parents house to check mine for peace of mind, and no rub marks. Here is a photo of the tire and the rim sticker... where do you look to see the brand axle? Im not heading back their till saturday...but might as well record it.
Attached Thumbnails
rim.jpg   tire.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #86

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Francesca, I came across this graphic just today. And when I saw the post you made, it seemed like perfect timing.

It's worth a try!

Hmmmm..... Is there a version that works on a Commodore 64?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #87

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Deryk, your ParkLiner should have a FlexRide adjustable axle.
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #88

New Jersey
Registry
probably since Im #3... do I need to pop the tire off I want to get and record a part# so in a dozen+ years when it needs to be replaced I will have the info lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #89

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If you've got the Flexiride, Deryk, replacement may never become an issue since some of the main components can be serviced replaced. (Unlike on a Dexter, which must usually be replaced entire).

I'm surprised to hear that Parkliner may have started with the Flexiride but switched to Dexter- I wonder why? It'll be most interesting if the divide between those with rubbing tires and those without is the axle brand!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #90

Astoria Oregon
Registry
just looked over the axle on #035
Stamped as "Dexter Axle 122820078" whatever that all means.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #91

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
Are you saying that going to a smaller combination to increase the clearance to avoid the rubbing won't decrease the ground clearance? If so, please explain!
Apparently I should have followed one of my own rules and just kept my mouth shut, cause outside of a snarky comment I was also completely incorrect.

I did some research and accrete is right above when talking about tire sizes available in 13" and 14" wheels. It doesn't appear that tire manufacturers are offering tires larger than 185/80 in a 13" wheel. That's roughly 1.4" smaller than the tire you folks are rolling now, with around .7" less clearance.

I apologize if I lead anyone astray, and did not mean to obfuscate this thread.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #92

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
When switching the 13" wheels to 14's on my Scamp I needed a little more clearance at the front edge of the outer fender lips. I ordered a 1" shorter Flexiride axle which moved the tires inward 1/2". I also moved the axle center aft about 3/4" to provide more front wheel well clearance during full bottoming. The axle relocation added a little tongue weight which was good, since I use a rear carrier for storage. Perhaps an axle centerline adjustment could solve the rubbing on the Parkliners?
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #93

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Does anyone feel like the trailers with rubbing are unsafe to pull? I realize between all of we have covered a few hundred miles without incident but I am wondering if the rubbing could slow a tire down enough to cause some wobble that could turn into towing excitement.

Thoughts?
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #94

Astoria Oregon
Registry
"towing excitement" HaHa. (ok, i hope not. but gotta admit it is certainly a funny yet politically correct way of asking if $..T will happen

Roger stated the trailer towed fine all the way from NC with only some crazy moments in high winds near Wyoming that could happen to anyone with something small like these eggs. I can imagine nearly all of my rub took place during that trip (~2600 miles) and i've put on another ~300 since delivery.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #95

New Jersey
Registry
Thom's ParkLiner was towed cross country and was ok...Brian did 900+ miles and was wearing through the gelcoat.

I would keep an eye on it and not do a long trip if you can avoid it.

Any word from Chandler?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #96

Astoria Oregon
Registry
no update from PL crew directed my way yet.

I can sort of imagine that this has stopped the production line. This must be addressed before another one rolls off IMO.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #97

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
Does anyone feel like the trailers with rubbing are unsafe to pull? I realize between all of we have covered a few hundred miles without incident but I am wondering if the rubbing could slow a tire down enough to cause some wobble that could turn into towing excitement.

Thoughts?
Well I dont have a Parklane but you wouldnt catch me towing a trailer that is known to be rubbing on the wheel well for the simple reason it could cause a very unexpected tire blow out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #98

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
if you all can find ( or measure accurately ) the diameter of your 205/75-14 tire, then you will be able to do some cross-checking/shopping for different brand and size of tires. As a possible replacement, you may end up considering a Kumho 857, in either a 185-14 or 195-14. Tirerack shows the specs of them, including diameter. In either size, you would be going to a LRD tire, with more load carrying capacity, and a 99 mph speed rating. I am going to hazard a guess here and say that a 185-14 is going to be just slightly ( and maybe enough to cure you interference issue ) smaller in diameter than your current 205/75-14.
Just something to consider. I know if it were mine, I would rather take that kind of step, if it would cure the issue, rather than having to do axle and frame work.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #99

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
No incoming information on my end from PL either.

I have a 1500 mile trip later this month. It would be nice to have a fix before then to at least prevent further damage to the fiberglass. But I will likely continue to plan to go, fix or no fix.
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #100

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The danger here is eventual wear-through of the FG where it gets rubbed. Tire wear would also be somewhat quicker. Tires would rub for short, irregular intervals and should not build up enough friction heat to cause a blowout. I doubt it is a safety issue, but it is nonetheless a very important issue that needs to be resolved.

Those Flexirides probably cost more, but they have great angle adjustability and seem like a better value to me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner