Tammie's ParkLiner projects - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Tammie's ParkLiner projects

Wanted to share some projects we've finished, just in time for a spring break trip. We've added a glass tile backsplash, using a bit of aluminum trim to finish the edge near the door, and swapped out the kitchen faucet for one with a little more height. It's an American Standard Colony bar sink (bar sinks don't have the pop-up drain assembly) with the same span to fit the existing drilled holes in the countertop.
To maximize counter space, we covered the cooktop with a 15"x 20" bamboo serving tray, topped with a cutting board the same size. We countersunk small magnets in the back of the cutting board, which stick to metal squares glued to the bottom of the tray. They stay together, but can still be used separately.
The curtains are new, too. I liked the original ParkLiner curtains with their velcro-tabbed tiebacks, and using them as a pattern, made new ones out of Sunbrella, like the originals. The difference is in how easily the new ones glide across the rod. Instead of a rod pocket which is difficult to scrunch up enough to move aside, the new curtains are hung on the rod by hidden loop tabs on the back, spaced about 5 inches apart. You could probably add those tabs to the original curtains- I made new ones just for a different color. Does that make me a glamper?
Attached Thumbnails
backsplash tile.jpg   curbside mods.jpg  

Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Great looking mods Tammie. You're going to be very comfy in this cute trailer...and yes you are now officially a glamper.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Looks Great! Id like to see a few shots of the swing up counter attachment next to the stone.

deryk

'nuthin wrong with glamping!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Tammy, Love the great choice of the glass backsplase and the adorable Aligator Pillows! Tasteful and cheery. Good Job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Very nice Tammie! My wife and I are scheduled to pick up our new Parkliner mid April. Always enjoy seeing how individuals are customizing their campers, particularly Parkliners! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

Alabama
Hi Deryk,
Here are the pics of the countertop extension. When folded down, there is just enough clearance for our 2 inch memory foam mattress topper.
Attached Thumbnails
extension table down.jpg   extension table up.jpg  

extension table top.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Really like the backsplash.
Bamboo tray is a nice touch.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Alabama
one more mod...we added spring loaded supports to the upper cabinets. I saw this method used on a sailboat to hold open a hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
P3180053.jpg   2014-02-16 23.39.53.jpg  

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

Alabama
Thanks, Carl. Here's a link to the serving tray on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Bamboo-...ngular-Serving

Just the right size to cover the Suburban two-burner cooktop. (I do have to remove the knobs and keep them in the kitchen drawer)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
Great job Tammie! I think Im going to have to do something as a counter top extention. When cooking i could use an extra place to put down a pot. I got the burner cover when I went down to ParkLiner as one of my "upgrades" Helped balance out the cost of the fuel to drive down there imho lol.

The spring loaded latches are a great idea too....I need to do something hate useing my head to keep them open while looking inside lol.!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Gorgeous. I love the colors. Very happy space.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #12

Name: Laurel
Trailer: parkliner
Maryland
Love the mods! Especially the colors in the tile. Totally starting the glamping!
LaurelMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #13

Alabama
We also added a pegboard wall to the closet. There are four bolts protruding into the closet from the door mounts, so I used them to bolt on a sheet of pegboard. I supported the pegboard with a 1 X 4 board glued and screwed to the backside along one long edge. It is stiff enough to hold reasonable weight. I had to drill out the depth of the 1 x 4 to accept the bolts, so I should have used some 1/2 inch stock. Anyway, it is a good place to put the fire extinguisher instead of bolted over the sink area.
Attached Thumbnails
closet pegboard.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #14

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Looks like some fun pre-season projects Tammie.
I've been pondering building a similar galley extension in our #35.

Happy Trails and enjoy the upcoming season.
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Great work. I love your color scheme.
Did you use real grout/thinset tiles, or the self adhesive groutless type I've seen at the home improvement store lately?
The backsplash pulls all your colors together beautifully.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #16

Alabama
Hi Sherry,
Thanks! We used glass tile on 1/4 inch cement backer board. The thinset and grout for glass tile has a special mix with latex added. We used latex caulk around the edges where it met the countertop and cabinets. We're taking it on the road this weekend - hope it's not a "shakedown" cruise ;-)
Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #17

New Jersey
Registry
Tammie, I used regular grout on a luan backerboard with a sticky sheet they sell at HD for putting up tiles. Towed it over 2000 miles so fr so good (knock on wood lol)

Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #18

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
Great way to keep the door up, where did you order them from? Thanks. Also love the peg board you installed. Smart!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #19

Alabama
Hi Gretchen,
We fabricated the spring hinges with some simple parts from Lowes, after having no luck finding a ready-made solution. The pictures below give you an idea of the separate parts.

The U-shaped bracket was made by cutting a section of aluminum flashing, then drilling the holes and bending to shape. The screws and washers provide mounting hardware to attach the spring through an eyelet screw. An eyelet screw is screwed into a one-inch section of dowel inserted into each end of the spring. The long screw is mounted into two blocks of wood that are glued to the gap between the door inside the cabinet. You can see the outer block of wood mounted perpendicular to the inner block of wood that is glued to the fiberglass wall of the cabinet.

As you can tell, this was a lot of work to furnish all the cabinets with these hinges, but it is a help to be able to lift the door out of the way and use two hands to retrieve things.
Attached Thumbnails
hinge parts 1.jpg   hinge parts 2.jpg  

hinge parts 3.jpg   P3180054.jpg  

Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
Hi Gretchen,
We fabricated the spring hinges with some simple parts from Lowes, after having no luck finding a ready-made solution. The pictures below give you an idea of the separate parts.

The U-shaped bracket was made by cutting a section of aluminum flashing, then drilling the holes and bending to shape. The screws and washers provide mounting hardware to attach the spring through an eyelet screw. An eyelet screw is screwed into a one-inch section of dowel inserted into each end of the spring. The long screw is mounted into two blocks of wood that are glued to the gap between the door inside the cabinet. You can see the outer block of wood mounted perpendicular to the inner block of wood that is glued to the fiberglass wall of the cabinet.

As you can tell, this was a lot of work to furnish all the cabinets with these hinges, but it is a help to be able to lift the door out of the way and use two hands to retrieve things.
That is an awesome fix.
necessity is the mother of invention.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner