Scamp sway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
[QUOTE=ruscal;585934... I can just picture a scamp holding the Siennas front wheels in the air. ...[/QUOTE]

Well it is hardly anywhere close to being that bad although as I understand it, Siennas in prior years had a soften rear suspensions. Only one time, on a very steep and twisty road, and in the rain, did I have a moment of front wheel slippage. For the most part it is a very stable tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT33 View Post
...The other choice is the same mount on the front bunk, not so sure on the extra tongue weight. I have set up a scale under the tongue and will weigh out each option...
For what it's worth, I have actually had a bit of a problem keeping 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. It was 10% to start with but with the propane tank running low, the added memory foam and bed clothes on the rear bed and other things stored in the trailer, the center of gravity has moved back a ways. I do try to keep heavier things loaded toward the front and ahead of the axle but that is not easy to do sometimes.

As long as your tug is comfortable with the tongue weight, I suspect that bikes on front of the trailer might work fine. It would be great if you post your measurements and conclusions.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
VERY well stated! However I think we should clarify that when the tug is front wheel drive, overloading the rear end (tongue weight) can cause loss of drive and steering control. I had that happen once, and that was plenty. Russ mentioned air bags which is one possible solution.

I also thought that leaving my bike behind was an option, and have done just that in the last couple of years, but now I am reconsidering.
There is also the option of folding bikes.
Of course, overloading anything is a poor idea, but as I said earlier replacing the second propane tank with two bikes adds only a few pounds which can easily be compensated for by proper loading of the trailer.
The front wheel drive issue is largely a canard, overloading the tongue weight on a rear drive will cause the same loss of drive and steering control (though perhaps not traction).
I tow with both front and rear drive vehicles which are properly prepared to tow the same trailer which is also properly loaded.
Actually, a few extra pounds of tongue weight is better than too few for stability in either case as long as within capacity.
I find my front drive Escape to be a very stable and comfortable tow vehicle for my Scamp... bikes and all.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0084.JPG   barry's truck 005.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 73 Trillum 98 Scamp 16ft. 2007 Escape 17ft.
British Columbia
Sorry for the time between posts but had to try a few options. 1st I tried putting the bikes in the trailer which I'll try and put pics. This worked better but still a bit of sway I still didn't like the feel so I have added a friction sway bar to the trailer and I'am happy with the results 120km/hr. no sway not that I want to drive that fast. Going on a longer trip next week hope all will go well. Cheers JT
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0089.jpg   IMG_0858.jpg  

IMG_0091.jpg  
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp