Re-Post: Fiber Stream Interior Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2006, 01:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982
We didn't take as many pictures as we should have, and the ones that are left were hard to find on the old computer, but the work was completed in about 4 hot weeks in August-September, 2003.

The very first thing we did was to get rid of the table. We kept the hardware for possible future re-install.

Next to go was the old carpet. Since it was installed under the bunks, we cut it out between them (the carpet was like new under the bunks). Then we laid down a new plywood floor (I think we used 1/2 inch for weight saving). Glued and screwed.

Then to the local flooring company to pick out a sheet of nice linoleum. Found a roll long and wide enough, made a paper pattern of the entire floor and cut the linoleum to fit.

During our down time we're tearing the bunks apart. Getting rid of the old doorskin that was used as top and sides and figuring out how we were going to strengthen the frame, make the storage area more accessible, etc.

This is the starboard side before the carpet was removed. You can see the 4 access holes in the top of the bunk. As I remember, the original storage was divided into two compartments. We thought four would be better (things travel better in smaller storage areas).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_No._1A.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1974
John Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:53 AM   #2

This is the same side a little later in the process. The floor has been installed.

The bunks have new plywood sides and top. We used 3/4 for the bunks. We actually had to reattach the sides of the trailer to the bunks. Lots of reinforcing and supports.

Name:	Star.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1975

Below is the finished product. Note the moulding around the edge of the floor. The white item in the right side of the picture is the refrigerator.

Name:	Starboard.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1976
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 AM   #3

This is the port side. There is no storage over here. What you can't see is the water tank to the right of the picture. The stove is on the left edge of the photo.

Name:	Port.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1977

Another view of the port side as we were finishing up. There are also two a/c plug outlets on this side. The hot water heater is between the inverter and the heater.

Name:	Port_Side.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1978
Old 03-31-2006, 02:18 AM   #4

And this is pretty much the finished product. We did wallpaper the walls throughout and the ceiling. We painted the cabinet doors, the bathroom door, the closet door, the refrigerator to match or complement the wallpaper. We built a "wine rack" over the utensil cabinet next to the refrigerator so we could stand up bottles of wine for travel. As you can see, we left the overhead cabinets for another time.

Not shown is the bridge that was built between the two bunks to make a "king size" bed. It wound up being three pieces that ride, when not being used, where the fold up tables are in the photo.

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1980
Old 03-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Looks beautiful!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Thanks for the re-post John. I still have not looked beneath the carpet of my trailer. Let alone, underneath it
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
I'd also like to paint my cabinets in my 84 fiberstream. did you remove the cabinets from the hinges? Sand everything, then paint? What did you do?
thank you,
cyndi
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Cyndi
This post is more than 6 years old,did you notice?
John has long ago sold his Fiberstream and left this site.
I know this because the Fiberstream is in my Driveway now awaiting my continuing the modifications.
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
No- i just did a search for fiberstream tonlist all posts referring to fiberstream trailers. So you now have this same trailer i asked about? If so, how is the paint on the cabinets holding up?
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream