1978 Surfside - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2006, 12:15 AM   #21

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Mine had a "sticker" inside the closet door which listed dry weight - maybe they can check for you?

Great Shelley - Can you please email me what that sticker says for the weight of your trailer ?

thanks
mehild@mts.net
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 82 14 ft Surfside Triple E
Registry
I have an 82 Surfside that I just bought. It needs alot of work, particularly sanding and painting, and some other repairs. I've been told it is a "triple E", but it has the kitchen across the front like I've seen in pics of Surfside TMs. What is the difference between the "Triple E" and the "TM-14"? And which years and models have the front vs the side kitchens? Can you with Surfsides post some pics for the rest of us Surfsides to view? The ones in the FGRV album don't show anything like mine on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
boler_pics_001.jpg   boler_pics_002.jpg  

boler_pics_003.jpg   boler_pics_004.jpg  

boler_pics_005.jpg   boler_pics_006.jpg  

boler_pics_007.jpg  
Catherine H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #23

Quote:
I have an 82 Surfside that I just bought. It needs alot of work, particularly sanding and painting, and some other repairs. I've been told it is a "triple E", but it has the kitchen across the front like I've seen in pics of Surfside TMs. What is the difference between the "Triple E" and the "TM-14"? And which years and models have the front vs the side kitchens? Can you with Surfsides post some pics for the rest of us Surfsides to view? The ones in the FGRV album don't show anything like mine on the inside.
Great camper Catherine. I just bought a 1977 SurfSide on the Sep. long wknd. I love it already, it doesn't have the kitchen upfront, but instead on the side - I can't wait to clean it up. If you have a website where you have more pics or feel like emailing some - go ahead, I'd love to see more - mehild@mts.net

I can also email you some pics of our new unit.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Triple E is an RV company that still exists in Winkler, Manitoba, although they no longer make molded fibreglass units. TM-14 is the model of the trailer.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Great camper Catherine. I just bought a 1977 SurfSide on the Sep. long wknd. I love it already, it doesn't have the kitchen upfront, but instead on the side - I can't wait to clean it up. If you have a website where you have more pics or feel like emailing some - go ahead, I'd love to see more - mehild@mts.net

I can also email you some pics of our new unit.

Thanks,
Eric
Congratulations, Eric. What does your Surfside need? Just a cleaning? How about posting your pics here?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Triple E is an RV company that still exists in Winkler, Manitoba, although they no longer make molded fibreglass units. TM-14 is the model of the trailer.
Cam (or anyone )
What does the "TM" stand for? I'm still trying to figure out which ones have the front kitchen.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 AM   #27

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Cam (or anyone )
What does the "TM" stand for? I'm still trying to figure out which ones have the front kitchen.
Beats the heck out of me, I don't know if the model designation has a meaning or was picked out of the air. It is not mentioned in the factory manual. My Surfside has a lot more venting on the sides - for the furnace and fridge; but you could get front bunk models without furnace and fridge so I don't think you can use that as a spotting technique.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #28

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Catherine (and gang),

Fabulous pix! I always like looking at the one's with the kitchen in front - so rare (I have one, too). Mine is Triple E (manufacturer, out of Winnipeg, Manitoba I believe) AND a TM-14. The 14 stands for how long it is. Here's a stab or two at the TM's:

Trailer Model
Totally Magnificent
Travelling Merrily
Tuesday's Manufacturing (or Thursday's?)
Too Marvelous
The Mansion
Two Morepoundsdryweight

I notice yours has the popcorn insulation; mine has the ensolite insulation. You also have another cabinet door (lower right) where I have a furnace. Where's your furnace? Mine came with a portapotti in the closet (and vent and reading light).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotdam2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	4753

Name:	Hotdam_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	4754

Name:	Hotdam2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	4755

Name:	Hotdam4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	4756

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I think TM probably stands for Trillium Mold, cause these guys look so much like the Trillium 1300.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
I think TM probably stands for Trillium Mold, cause these guys look so much like the Trillium 1300.
Hmmmm That seems quite plausible. More so than Miriam's suggestion of (T)wo (M)orepoundsdryweight. It sure looks like those Trilliums.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Catherine (and gang),

Fabulous pix! I always like looking at the one's with the kitchen in front - so rare (I have one, too). Mine is Triple E (manufacturer, out of Winnipeg, Manitoba I believe) AND a TM-14. The 14 stands for how long it is. Here's a stab or two at the TM's:

Trailer Model
Totally Magnificent
Travelling Merrily
Tuesday's Manufacturing (or Thursday's?)
Too Marvelous
The Mansion
Two Morepoundsdryweight

I notice yours has the popcorn insulation; mine has the ensolite insulation. You also have another cabinet door (lower right) where I have a furnace. Where's your furnace? Mine came with a portapotti in the closet (and vent and reading light).

Attachment 4753

Attachment 4754

Attachment 4755

Attachment 4756

- Miriam
Do you have more pics of yours, Miriam? Particularly straight-on shot of the kitchen area? I think I see the corner of an upper cupboard above the counter top, which I wish mine had. Also shots of the "mid-section" inside. Is the bed a twin size? Answering your questions: my closet has a makeshift clothes rod in it. Here's a pic.That's the original table that is stored in there, and you can see the side of the fridge back in there. There's also another from the side of the closet with the warped door on it. Do you have a pic of the inside of your closet? I do not have a furnace, and have no vents anywhere except for the ceiling one. What are your vents for? Do you have a pic of the opposite side of the outside?
Attached Thumbnails
surfside_018.jpg   surfside_024.jpg  

Old 09-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #32

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Do you have more pics of yours, Miriam? Particularly straight-on shot of the kitchen area? I think I see the corner of an upper cupboard above the counter top, which I wish mine had. Also shots of the "mid-section" inside. Is the bed a twin size? Answering your questions: my closet has a makeshift clothes rod in it. Here's a pic.That's the original table that is stored in there, and you can see the side of the fridge back in there. There's also another from the side of the closet with the warped door on it. Do you have a pic of the inside of your closet? I do not have a furnace, and have no vents anywhere except for the ceiling one. What are your vents for? Do you have a pic of the opposite side of the outside?
Catherine,

I don't have a straight-up shot of the kitcher after reno's, but I have a few "before's" I might be able to scare up. I'll have to send them in a few days because they're on my other computer. Yes, that's a fiberglass cupboard over the stove (woo-hoo!). Perfect for coffee and snacks, but it has to be taped during travel or it launches the coffee.......yikes!
The bed is a full double size. We've put in a 6 inch foam with an Obusform on top and a quilted mattress pad. Like yours, there's a dining area underneath which we NEVER use, so we put in the permanent bed. The way ours is set up, with the U-shaped seating, it supports a twin, 3/4, double, queen or...get this: a KING-SIZE bed (sleeping front to back rather than side to side). I chose the double because it gave me the option of putting in side-tables / seating (the upholstery has a hard wooden board inserted inside so when the seat is flipped it serves as a table).
Vents are essential to preventing asphyxiation and staying alive when you have a furnace or other appliances that runs on propane. You need to draw in fresh air from a source. The fridge is 3-way, so I suspect that may be the real reason I have a vent in the closet, although goodness knows there's enough holes underneath for the plug-ins, water and sewage connections, etc. My stove is also propane, as is the furnace.
The inside of your closet looks EXACTLY like mine. Loads of space, eh? Yours is terrific for it's counterspace, though. Mine has the original fiberglass top (not arborite, like yours) so it's a bit smaller.
Here's some other (older) pix:

Name:	Surfside.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4770

Name:	Surfside3.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	4769

Name:	Surfside2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	4771

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #33

Trust me when I say that Triple E SurfSides come from a company still in business called Triple E. They are in Winkler, Manitoba. I live a mere 20 minutes from Winkler and know people that work for Triple E. In todays' market they focus on 5th wheel units and motorhomes. Back in the 70's they made the metal or aluminum models and Fiberglass models, although a lot of their Fiberglass models were put together in Gimili, Manitoba (just north of Winnipeg) where Triple E accquired some cheap buildings for use. Anyway, the SurfSides were put together in Gimili and then finished with detail work in Winkler and then shipped to dealers across Canada (mostly, Western Canada and Ontario).
In talking with a person that still works for Triple E (he has for over 30 years) he told me that about 4 years ago they tossed the Fiberglass mold for the doors to the SurfSide units and they still get calls asking about obtaining new doors.

So - SurfSides are not from Winnipeg - they are from a company called Triple E in Winkler, Manitoba and while most SurfSides were produced or made in Gimili, MB the company is based out of Winkler.

I think it's the best Fiberglass made camper from the 70's. However, I am a recent owner and probably a bit biased.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Trust me when I say that Triple E SurfSides come from a company still in business called Triple E. They are in Winkler, Manitoba. I live a mere 20 minutes from Winkler and know people that work for Triple E. In todays' market they focus on 5th wheel units and motorhomes. Back in the 70's they made the metal or aluminum models and Fiberglass models, although a lot of their Fiberglass models were put together in Gimili, Manitoba (just north of Winnipeg) where Triple E accquired some cheap buildings for use. Anyway, the SurfSides were put together in Gimili and then finished with detail work in Winkler and then shipped to dealers across Canada (mostly, Western Canada and Ontario).
In talking with a person that still works for Triple E (he has for over 30 years) he told me that about 4 years ago they tossed the Fiberglass mold for the doors to the SurfSide units and they still get calls asking about obtaining new doors.

So - SurfSides are not from Winnipeg - they are from a company called Triple E in Winkler, Manitoba and while most SurfSides were produced or made in Gimili, MB the company is based out of Winkler.

I think it's the best Fiberglass made camper from the 70's. However, I am a recent owner and probably a bit biased.
Just curious-why do you think it's the best FG camper from the 70's?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #35
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Y'all feel free to post all your pics of your Surfsides here. The comparisons between the different "models" are great. This is just the kind of thing we encourage and hope y'all will want to put here.

There are limits to the number of images per post (supposedly; not sure the limits work) and there are limits to the file sizes we allow (big pics make it impossible for folks on dialup to look at a topic) but, if you need to, just break your post into several. That's fine!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Just curious-why do you think it's the best FG camper from the 70's? I've only owned a Surfside--since 1 week ago.
Probably because it's HIS! Wasn't there a song...something about "Love the One You're With"? Personally, I think MY Scamp is the best and I bet if you took a poll you'd find most people feel the same way about THEIRS...and that's the way it should be!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Probably because it's HIS! Wasn't there a song...something about "Love the One You're With"? Personally, I think MY Scamp is the best and I bet if you took a poll you'd find most people feel the same way about THEIRS...and that's the way it should be!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Correction - ALL Fiberglass RV's are the BEST. Like I said, I was only biased because that's what I bought, a SurfSide. I wish I could own of each to telyou the truth.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #39

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
So, I've been wondering - seems like there are several "new" Surf Side owners. Does this mean that someone has been hiding SS's in a barn somewhere and suddenly they're being sold, or are these Surf Sides we've seen before and now in the hands of new owners.

I tried and failed a while ago to use the search feature to see if I could find out how many there were on this list, but I could not figure out how to use the search. Couldn't find myself and Jana and others I know are members so I gave up. Anyone feel like giving me a quick non-tech language explanation of how to do that. I couldn't manage to post a picture either for some reason.

Glad to see more Surfs. The front kitchen models seem to be getting popular on the list. I saw one (not the inside) that was supposed to have a bathroom right across from the door. Anybody know if this was a factory variation or a modification by some owner?
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
So, I've been wondering - seems like there are several "new" Surf Side owners. Does this mean that someone has been hiding SS's in a barn somewhere and suddenly they're being sold, or are these Surf Sides we've seen before and now in the hands of new owners.

I tried and failed a while ago to use the search feature to see if I could find out how many there were on this list, but I could not figure out how to use the search. Couldn't find myself and Jana and others I know are members so I gave up. Anyone feel like giving me a quick non-tech language explanation of how to do that. I couldn't manage to post a picture either for some reason.

Glad to see more Surfs. The front kitchen models seem to be getting popular on the list. I saw one (not the inside) that was supposed to have a bathroom right across from the door. Anybody know if this was a factory variation or a modification by some owner?
To find members with Surfsides, or other specific types:
1.Click on 'members' up near the top next to 'help' and 'search'.
2. Scroll down to 'toggle more options' button
3. Click it and scroll down again to the bottom
4. There's a space to fill in 'RV Type"
5. Put in 'Surfside' (or any other model)
6. click 'go' which is below and to the right
7. Voila! The list of all members who have listed Surfside as their RV

Tags
surfside