In need of Side Entry Inspiration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Amerigo
Oregon
In need of Side Entry Inspiration

Hey all, I've begun my demo work on my vintage Amerigo, and have been pondering what changes I plan to make as part of the remodel as I tore the dinette apart.

One thing I have been planing is to make the cabinets over the dinette L-Shaped as part of their rebuild to use up the space above the dinette seats near the door, but I haven't decided on if I want to completely enclose the space between the lower wall/Back of the dinette next to the door with a full floor to ceiling wall, or leave the break and then decorate it with a couple of those turned vertical pieces you see on stair rails, or perhaps some stained glass pane or something.

So, what I need is pictures from all of you that have had side entry units or campers that had neat dividers between the backs of dinette seats and cabinets above, so I can plot my design.

Here's our existing interior (The dinettes already been demolished, the salvageable pieces were saved):

This is kinda how the kitchen and the cabover bed will kind of be, please note this is from a different camper entirely:

Here's kinda what I'm looking for for ideas.

RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That kitchen idea looks very heavy, heavy, heavy... Maybe to heavy for the Amerigo load limits.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That kitchen idea looks very heavy, heavy, heavy... Maybe to heavy for the Amerigo load limits.
Don't see why, the camper's got a 2x2 and 2x4 frame wooden frame that their fiberglass shell is fastened over like siding, same as far newer truck campers. Nice thing about the slide-in line is I don't have a trailer frame and trailer axle in the equation.

Sorry for the messiness, I did this quickly, but here's a rough floor plan, minus the snap n nap in the original floor plan, and the after with changes made.

I haven't annotated everything, but a couple things that are happening is the bed is being extended back into the camper a few inches to make it a full queen, which involves shifting the kitchen overhead cabinet back and the whole fridge cabinet (which was offset six inches from the door, after the remodel, the fridge will be centered in front of the access hatch).

The browned area is the existing overhead cabinet.

Before

The browned area is the remodeled overhead cabinet.

After

The little wall right by the door, is what I'm contemplating either making one solid wall, or leaving open, but putting either a couple of styles or a stained glass window or something in.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Silly me.... I thought that we were discussing an Amerigo Molded Fiberglass Trailer, the Amerigo FG-16.

As a rule we don't talk much about remodels of, stick-built trailers or slide in campers. I think in the past 5 years there were about 3 owners of same hereabouts.

I have seen an Amerigo slide-in camper, with the snap-n-nap feature. along side of Rt 97 near Entiat, WA. But it doesn't seem to ever move, at least not in the past two years anyway.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Silly me.... I thought that we were discussing an Amerigo Molded Fiberglass Trailer, the Amerigo FG-16.

As a rule we don't talk much about remodels of, stick-built trailers or slide in campers. I think in the past 5 years there were about 3 owners of same hereabouts.

I have seen an Amerigo slide-in camper, with the snap-n-nap feature. along side of Rt 97 near Entiat, WA. But it doesn't seem to ever move, at least not in the past two years anyway.
Yeah, ironically, this is the ONLY Amerigo forum there is (unless you know of another) . Its why I didn't really specify the model as I was mostly looking for interior ideas, which aren't unique to any one unit.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Yeah, ironically, this is the ONLY Amerigo forum there is (unless you know of another) . Its why I didn't really specify the model as I was mostly looking for interior ideas, which aren't unique to any one unit.
This site was designed for molded travel trailers but we do have a few members with molded slide ins. They have gained some info from us and we received some from them....perfect to me. A million $ Provost uses a lot of the same appliances inside that one of our 13'ers use. Gee, we may have a fix for them. There have been a number of folks that join with FG sided stickies. Depending what their questions are, sometimes we can help and other times direct them to a better suited forum for answers do to their make. There are a few non molded members here that post often with great info. Love this site and read every post and found that for the most part, the stick folks have moved on for a better fit for their problems/questions. I do find it strange that some FG slide ins are welcomed with a lot of back and forth talk and others kind of shunned by some. Maybe I look at this site differently, kind of like an online AAA and info source. Too many mods members show I'd like to do and know I'll never get around to . But if I was broken down on the side of the road I certainly wouldn't turn down some help from a sticky owner. Help is help. OK, off the soap box and as always YMMV. Happy camping no matter what you have.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Actually, this isn't an Amerigo forum, it is a Molded Fiberglass RV group, of which the Amerigo FG-16 is one of many.

Google: "amerigo owners groups". There are a number of them out there that deal specifically with Amerigo travel trailers and Amerigo slide-in campers, and there are even more slide-in camper related groups when you Google "slide in truck camper owners groups".

There are substantial differences in how you can remodel interiors in slide in campers vs. travel trailers and molded fiberglass vs. stick construction RV's. What you can hang on walls is one, and weight & balance concerns are others. For example, FGRV's don't have those 2x2's and 2x4's in their wall construction for hanging heavy cabinets from, and you can't always position heavier components where you want them in trailers.

To Amerigo's credit, is that Stewart Gardner bought Amerigo many, many years (1970?) ago specifically for their use of molded fiberglass components, and that begat the all molded fiberglass Sunrader slide in campers (1972-1979) and the Sunrader molded fiberglass mini-motorhomes (1978-1992), as well as the short lived Amerigo FG-16 molded fiberglass travel trailer (1971-1974?), and a couple of others derived from the FG-16's molds. But, like most of Mr. Gardner's other RV adventures, he sold off or bk'ed that one as well.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, when we first saw the Amerigo here on FGRV, I looked all over the web but other than "AmeriGO business..." which seems to target RV sales groups, I cannot find anything like FGRV. And on here, there seem to be very few amerigo trailers, so each member posting is very valued by us! I looked at these photos and felt as if I'd entered Wonderland or Oz..."THAT's no amerigo!" I cried, and my husband, from across the room, said, "It sure isn't!"
Then found out it was a slide in camper. WELL! QUITE different!

We're debating endlessly about what will go where to keep our amerigo trailer balanced, wondering if those gaps under the floor ply area are to be used for big heavy wood as bracing or something, or left open for whatever nefarious purposes...

A camper really would be quite a different animal, with the truck taking the load rather than the little axle and your car's rear end.

VERY interesting to see this, though. It sure would be something to have 2x4 wall supports to work with! We KNOW how to deal with houses...the fiberglass trailer is a new learning experience for us--or as we used to say, boy, have we got a lot to learn!

Kai in Seattle with the root-beer colored, as yet unnamed amerigo FG-16, currently gutted and awaiting a "lift" off the frame come this Saturday. X fingers it's not bad weather.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Don't see why, the camper's got a 2x2 and 2x4 frame wooden frame that their fiberglass shell is fastened over like siding, same as far newer truck campers. Nice thing about the slide-in line is I don't have a trailer frame and trailer axle in the equation.

Sorry for the messiness, I did this quickly, but here's a rough floor plan, minus the snap n nap in the original floor plan, and the after with changes made.

I haven't annotated everything, but a couple things that are happening is the bed is being extended back into the camper a few inches to make it a full queen, which involves shifting the kitchen overhead cabinet back and the whole fridge cabinet (which was offset six inches from the door, after the remodel, the fridge will be centered in front of the access hatch).

The browned area is the existing overhead cabinet.

Before

The browned area is the remodeled overhead cabinet.

After

The little wall right by the door, is what I'm contemplating either making one solid wall, or leaving open, but putting either a couple of styles or a stained glass window or something in.
Redneck Express--good photos and great floor plan, very nicely done, thanks for posting. Welcome...and best luck with all that!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

Amergo (not to be confused with the AmeriGO RV Club) was much, much bigger than the short hx of the FG-16 and their unfortunate relationships with both Stewart Gardner and a partnership with KOA (Yes, that KOA).

If you Google "Amerigo RV Images", (or click here if this works) https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...w=1920&bih=954

you can see that, other than in name and a few molded component parts, their product line had no more relationship with FGRV's, than any of the current production stickys from, say, Lance or Jayco, have with a Scamp or a Casita.

Just to update, of the more than 1000 (claimed) RV's at the recent 63rd annual California RV Show, exactly three were made of molded fiberglass. A Teardrop, A VW Bus look-a-like and a phantom Meerkat that was supposed be shown, but couldn't be found. That said, we are still very different than the others.... YEA!!!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #11

Oregon
Quote:
Amergo (not to be confused with the AmeriGO RV Club) was much, much bigger than the short hx of the FG-16 and their unfortunate relationships with both Stewart Gardner and a partnership with KOA (Yes, that KOA).

If you Google "Amerigo RV Images", (or click here if this works) https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...w=1920&bih=954

you can see that, other than in name and a few molded component parts, their product line had no more relationship with FGRV's, than any of the current production stickys from, say, Lance or Jayco, have with a Scamp or a Casita.

Just to update, of the more than 1000 (claimed) RV's at the recent 63rd annual California RV Show, exactly three were made of molded fiberglass. A Teardrop, A VW Bus look-a-like and a phantom Meerkat that was supposed be shown, but couldn't be found. That said, we are still very different than the others.... YEA!!!
Yeah, I'm getting that impression. To be honest, I'll probably lurk at this point, but I may not bother posting anymore, Bob, you've made it pretty clear I'm a poor fit for this group, so I'll stop being a bother to everyone and move on.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Matt,
There are others out there doing the Amerigo truck campers, I always thought they had a cool kind of space ship look to them with the wrap around front window. They are heavy & require a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck to haul 'em.

Here's a pretty in depth rebuild on one a few years back on pirate 4x4
: On second thought, a tent would have cheaper... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
It's pretty good reading & it may give you an idea what's ahead of you.

When I got my FG-16 last December I read everything I could find on Amerigos.
There's is not a lot of info & even less surviving campers~trailers out there.
IMHO any questions or info from passionate owners is welcome!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Matt,
There are others out there doing the Amerigo truck campers, I always thought they had a cool kind of space ship look to them with the wrap around front window. They are heavy & require a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck to haul 'em.

Here's a pretty in depth rebuild on one a few years back on pirate 4x4
: On second thought, a tent would have cheaper... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
It's pretty good reading & it may give you an idea what's ahead of you.

When I got my FG-16 last December I read everything I could find on Amerigos.
There's is not a lot of info & even less surviving campers~trailers out there.
IMHO any questions or info from passionate owners is welcome!
Yeah, I saw his post. He kind of made a mess of his rebuild. I've already dug into mine and I've been finding nothing but good luck. It was kept under cover most of its life and where it had gotten water damage in the past has already been rebuilt.

Most of my structural work will involve adding some extra bracing as mine is being fully converted to use standard electric jacks instead of the factory under wings.

The rest will involve upgrading the styrofoam block insulation that was common when it was built to higher density closed cell foam board. (except for the snap-n-nap which has sprayed in expansion foam).

The oak butcher block counter top I ordered came in yesterday to replace the fake formica butcher block counter top the camper came with (which are in pretty sad shape).

Amerigo's campers are an odd beasts, with a whole litany of patents that were submitted when they were created. Only two manufacturers ever made a rear tip-out bed like this unit has. Amerigo was the first, McNamee Coach Company's Kamp King line was the other, but Amerigos were the only aluminum frame/fiberglass shell models.

I did discover mine has seat belts when I started taking the dinette apart. So, its even more like a detachable motorhome with the belts and the built-in intercom system (I bought the missing cab half off of ebay).

The small clan of Amerigo camper owners I belong to has a member that did a vastly better remodel job with theirs.

https://sixszekely.wordpress.com/

Its a model year old than mine, but the exact same floor plan.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, I'm getting that impression. To be honest, I'll probably lurk at this point, but I may not bother posting anymore, Bob, you've made it pretty clear I'm a poor fit for this group, so I'll stop being a bother to everyone and move on.
Well I really hope that you follow the links that were suggested in Post #7. There are a lot of other groups out there that can provide much better advice and direction for your rig than you can find hereabouts.

Forgot to mention: When Stewart Gardner bought Amerigo he also tried using the Nap-n-Snap feature on a number of 1983-84, 18' Sunrader molded fiberglass campers built in his Elkhart, IN, Monterey Leisure factory. Not many, but I have seen one and pics of several others.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
amerigo snap n nap camper

Redneck Express, please post. I enjoy seeing Amerigo campers no matter what type. They have fiberglass too. I also get ideas looking at anything and I am rebuilding an amerigo trailer. I probably will modify mine to not even look like it used to on the inside. And I will try to raise the roof and still store in the garage.

Marty
MartyVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyVK View Post
Redneck Express, please post. I enjoy seeing Amerigo campers no matter what type. They have fiberglass too. I also get ideas looking at anything and I am rebuilding an amerigo trailer. I probably will modify mine to not even look like it used to on the inside. And I will try to raise the roof and still store in the garage.

Marty
Marty, I think I'll post a post with the project linked in it all the chapters, just to keep from flooding the site with photos of a hybrid fiberglass rig, that way Bob doesn't catch fire .

Work's picked up on the project, spent a few thousand so far on new parts (new furnace, new 42 gallon fresh water tank, new roof A/C, bunch of lumber.... almost done gutting it. Got one side almost all the way opened up, and rebuilt (found a bunch of dry rot after pullout out the propane compartment).

Tags
amerigo