Towing a Bigfoot 25 - Reccomendations - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #61

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I checked my axle weights at a highway weigh station near my home, both before and after connecting my Equalizer hitch bars. It shifted a significant amount of weight off of the rear truck axle (-600 lb.) and onto the front axle (+400 lb.) and the trailer axle (+200 lb.). On my F150 I was actually over the rear axle GAWR weight rating of 3850 lb. by about 500 lb. before connecting the bars. It also leveled the truck.

I have a 2005 crew cab with canopy, 5.4L, 3.73 rear end, regular tow package rated at 8700 lb. tow rating. My 6500 lb. trailer nearly maxes out both truck axles. (As far as I can tell, there is no standardized way that manufacturers measure their tow rating and I think it shows. I have towed our Bigfoot a fair amount over 9 years and the truck does OK, but if buying a new tow vehicle I would buy the F250.) Maybe your 2500 will be fine without a WD hitch, but I would check the axle weights to see where you stand. I like the idea of balancing the load on the axles and leveling the truck/trailer unit without additional equipment like air bags.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #62

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Johnson View Post
I checked my axle weights at a highway weigh station near my home, both before and after connecting my Equalizer hitch bars. It shifted a significant amount of weight off of the rear truck axle (-600 lb.) and onto the front axle (+400 lb.) and the trailer axle (+200 lb.). On my F150 I was actually over the rear axle GAWR weight rating of 3850 lb. by about 500 lb. before connecting the bars. It also leveled the truck.

I have a 2005 crew cab with canopy, 5.4L, 3.73 rear end, regular tow package rated at 8700 lb. tow rating. My 6500 lb. trailer nearly maxes out both truck axles.

Derek
Thank you for such detailed information.
The rear GAWR on my Expedition is 4,380# and 3,375# on the front.
Since we’re both using the Equalizer wdh and towing very similar trailers, I feel more comfortable with my setup. The next task is to get it weighed like you did.

Ed
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #63

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Interesting how we choose what to believe, choosing to believe what some anonymous person on the internet says is their experience, with no testing.
Well ... I didn't say I would "choose to believe" anything I got from this post. However, if I had several people with compelling history towing what is a relatively small camper (even though called a "Bigfoot") with a 3/4 ton truck without a WDH and with no issues, I may at least consider trying towing my Bigfoot initially without a WDH and see how comfortable I am.

Incidentally, my dealer told me the most recent 25' Bigfoot they received was towed from the factory in British Columbia all the way to Georgia with a Ram 2500 without a WDH and the driver said it "towed like a dream." Since the dealer would want to sell me a WDH, I don't think they would have incentive to lie about that.

We travel light, so I think our fully loaded Bigfoot will weigh < 6,000 pounds, so it's at least worth considering and inquiring whether the truck might tow well just off the bumper hitch. Most things I've read indicate WDH's are a bit of a hassle (heavy, difficulty backing up, very noisy, grease to deal with, more time needed to unhook and hook-up, storage room somewhere for the bars and heavy hitch when not in use, etc.). Therefore, again, thought it was worth at least asking the question.
Camper Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #64

Minnesota
I don't necessarily agree. The towing capacity is not the most important factor. Payload capacity is much more important, including the weight each axle of the TV can carry.

I have a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra that has a payload capacity of just 1,300 pounds. The tongue weight of the 25' Bigfoot fiberglass trailer will be in the 900# range. Then add cargo and just the weight of my wife and I in the truck and we would be over the capacity of the vehicle. And that's despite the fact it's rated to tow 9,100 pounds.

Ford 1/2 tons with the Max payload package have a payload capacity in the 2,500# range, which would be plenty for the 25' Bigfoot, but most 1/2 ton trucks just don't have adequate payload capacity for that trailer.

Now you will get many people saying B.S. and they pull whatever heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton TV. More power to 'em. I'm just giving the simple facts and math per the manufacturers specs.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #65

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Johnson View Post

I have a 2005 crew cab with canopy, 5.4L, 3.73 rear end, regular tow package rated at 8700 lb. tow rating. My 6500 lb. trailer nearly maxes out both truck axles. (As far as I can tell, there is no standardized way that manufacturers measure their tow rating and I think it shows. I have towed our Bigfoot a fair amount over 9 years and the truck does OK, but if buying a new tow vehicle I would buy the F250.) Maybe your 2500 will be fine without a WD hitch, but I would check the axle weights to see where you stand. I like the idea of balancing the load on the axles and leveling the truck/trailer unit without additional equipment like air bags.

Derek

You're half right about the tow capacity measurements. As of about 2014 they've all started using the SAE J2807 standard for measuring capacity, which is pretty thorough and fairly consistent. Before that it was largely "whatever the manufacturer can claim with a straight face".
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #66

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot25 View Post
Thanks John for the thought. As it is, we need the pulling power of at least a 3/4-ton truck. And if we go that route, we’re going diesel even though we have never owned or driven one. We ain’t putting in writing what our fiberglass 25’ trailer weighs, or the combination weight of the trailer and “stuff” in and on the truck. Well, I suppose that I alluded to that figure in a previous post; my bad. Suffice it to say that we are in the realm of the GCWRs of a 3/4-ton Ford truck and over those of a Tundra. True, a 1-ton would be more truck than we need. However, it is of interest to note that the Maximum Trailer Weight rating and the GCWR of the Ford 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks, be they gas or diesel, are EXACTLY the same, 14,000lbs and 23,500lbs with a 3.55 ratio axle for a 6.7l diesel. Go figure. I know that the F-350 has an extra leaf spring in the rear, and that one can “make” a F-250 essentially into a F-350 with certain options. However, some guy on the Ford.Truck.com forum said that he’d owned several Super Duty Fords, and an upgraded 250 simply didn’t drive as well as a 350. He had no explanation as to why. He was speaking from personal experience.

We are seriously considering a 2019 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed with a 6.7l diesel. We want leather seats which requires the Lariat model. We do not want a lot of BLING, so we are thinking the Value Package is sufficient in lieu of the Ultimate Package. We have not decided between 20” or 18” wheels. I hate it that Ford, and all other truck manufacturers as far as I know, puts 18” spare tires and wheels on their trucks no matter the wheel size of the other four wheels on the truck. It is the only reason we’re drifting towards 18”, well that and saving about $1,100-$1,400.

Since you appear to know much more than me about 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, got any opinions?
Look at the payload capacity of the trucks. The diesel will typically have a payload capacity a few hundred pounds less than the equivalent gas version just given the fact that the diesel engine weighs much more than the gas engine.

Towing capacity is what auto dealers and RV dealers like to quote, but payload capacity is much more important. There is a sticker in the driver's door jamb on every vehicle that will list the payload capacity of that vehicle. And tongue weight (fully loaded) of the trailer you're towing, any cargo you load into the truck, and the weight of all passengers count against payload capacity. For many TV / trailer combinations, you will run out of payload capacity far before you run out of towing capacity / ability of the vehicle.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #67

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I have a Bigfoot 25RQ. I have pulled it with half tons, 3/4 tons and one tons. The advantage of the F-350 is the extra stability and "road command" you have because of the sturdier suspension. It has a more secure, safer feel. The fuel economy between the F-250 and the F-350 is the same. As far as price goes there is very little difference, maybe $200. The F-350 I have now is an "XLT" trim with four doors, single rear wheels, gasoline engine and lots of options. It had a sticker price of $54,850. I wound up getting it bought for $44,000.
Agree. And people often overlook stopping ability. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck will do better stopping with a trailer attached, which is particularly important descending steeper grades.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #68

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Why guess? Why take a chance on buggering your truck? Why not follow the manual?
I don't necessarily disagree. But I've read lots of negatives about WDH's - heavy, difficulty backing up, greasy mess, very noisy, takes longer to hook up and unhook, finding a place to store the heavy hitch and bars when not in use, etc. Given that our fully loaded Bigfoot might be just a few hundred pounds over the 5,000 limit for bumper-pull per Ram, I may test it without initially to see if I'm comfortable towing that way.

If I can avoid the hassles of the WDH I would, but most likely I will end up with a WDH - better safe than sorry as they say.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #69

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Link View Post
Congratulations on buying the best !
We own a 25RQ25 and just love it ! We've done some modifications to "make it our own" and couldn't be happier.
We normally tow with a crew cab pickup (full sized) but have used our midsized SUV, a GX470, with absolutely no problems....The 25 footer is heavier than many, but Bigfoot has it all under control with proper brakes and suspension....
Good Luck in your travels
Interesting. What's the towing capacity of your GX470? Do you use a weight distributing hitch with it?
Old 12-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #70

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
You're half right about the tow capacity measurements. As of about 2014 they've all started using the SAE J2807 standard for measuring capacity, which is pretty thorough and fairly consistent. Before that it was largely "whatever the manufacturer can claim with a straight face".
That's great--thanks for the information. Not sure how I have failed to see this over the last 7 years. It looks like Ford started using the new standard in 2015. I would be curious to see how much my capacity would be reduced under the new standard.

Derek
Old 12-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #71

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Chuck View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. But I've read lots of negatives about WDH's - heavy, difficulty backing up, greasy mess, very noisy, takes longer to hook up and unhook, finding a place to store the heavy hitch and bars when not in use, etc. Given that our fully loaded Bigfoot might be just a few hundred pounds over the 5,000 limit for bumper-pull per Ram, I may test it without initially to see if I'm comfortable towing that way.

If I can avoid the hassles of the WDH I would, but most likely I will end up with a WDH - better safe than sorry as they say.

For my Equalizer hitch:

Heavy--hitch head yes, but it mostly stays on the tow vehicle; bars no
Difficulty backing up--no problems, even in tight corners
Greasy mess--no grease used on bars, only on the hitch head brackets
Noisy--not if you use the pads on the L-brackets
Longer to hook up--yes, a bit
Storage--bars are flat and take up little space in the trailer compartment

Derek
Old 12-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #72

When we had our Bigfoot 25RQ, we towed it with a 2007 Tundra 5.7 liter. We had no issues with towing it from a power prospective, but it was a little soft on the suspension side. I added Timbrens to the rear springs, and it made it much better. Current truck is a 2015 RAM 2500 with 6.4 liter engine and 411 differentials, but we moved up to a 10k gvwr trailer and it pulls it fine.
Rob and Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #73

Name: Alex
Washington
Registry
This!

Quote:
There is a sticker in the driver's door jamb on every vehicle that will list the payload capacity of that vehicle. And tongue weight (fully loaded) of the trailer you're towing, any cargo you load into the truck, and the weight of all passengers count against payload capacity. For many TV / trailer combinations, you will run out of payload capacity far before you run out of towing capacity / ability of the vehicle.
I was amazed at the variability in payload capacity within one model truck (RAM 3500 for me) when I was shopping a few years ago. I resorted to calling salespeople to get them to text me a photo of the door jam sticker. Some mfr's have the information online, but to get the real number required typing in the VIN for the particular truck. I think it comes down to the individual options on each vehicle.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #74

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
This!

I was amazed at the variability in payload capacity within one model truck (RAM 3500 for me) when I was shopping a few years ago. I resorted to calling salespeople to get them to text me a photo of the door jam sticker. Some mfr's have the information online, but to get the real number required typing in the VIN for the particular truck. I think it comes down to the individual options on each vehicle.
Yes. Basically the vehicle (frame/suspension) has an overall weight capacity. Typically 10,000 pounds for a 3/4 ton truck. You then subtract the vehicle weight itself from that figure to get payload capacity. So every option you add subtracts from payload capacity.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #75

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
in particular crew cabs plus upscale interiors with leather covered power seats, and all the other bells and whistles add 100s and 100s of lbs to the curb weight, while the GVWR remains the same, this cuts deeply into the available payload.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #76

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Our 2018 25RQ weighs 6,920 pounds. These trailers weigh a LOT more than manufacturer states. And our weight is consistent with other owners we have met.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #77

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
Our 2018 25RQ weighs 6,920 pounds. These trailers weigh a LOT more than manufacturer states. And our weight is consistent with other owners we have met.
Do you have the optional front storage box and/or does your BF have the built-in generator? It helps to know what options you have.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #78

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Sorry, posted all that years ago when I first weighed it. Front box with about 120 pound of stored items. No genny. My point is folks need to weigh their trailers. I find that my Equal-i-zer hitch adds about a minute to hitching and unhitching.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #79
RKH

Name: Kerrig
Trailer: bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhall0306 View Post
We are looking to purchase a Bigfoot 25 foot travel trailer (probably the 25RQ model). We have not purchased a tow vehicle yet and would like any recommendations you could make. We are thinking about getting a Ram 1500 Big Horn.

Please let me know what you use to tow your Bigfoot 25 foot trailers and any suggestions you may have. Thanks!
I concur with the recommendation of a bigger pickup. I had a 1/2 GMC 4x4 gas and went with a 1 ton chevy towing package diesel. I think your 1/2 ton dodge could do the job but it will be overworking all the time. BTW, I have the 25 ft bigfoot front bedroom which I think is a little heavier.
RKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:29 AM   #80
RKH

Name: Kerrig
Trailer: bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
I don't necessarily agree. The towing capacity is not the most important factor. Payload capacity is much more important, including the weight each axle of the TV can carry.

I have a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra that has a payload capacity of just 1,300 pounds. The tongue weight of the 25' Bigfoot fiberglass trailer will be in the 900# range. Then add cargo and just the weight of my wife and I in the truck and we would be over the capacity of the vehicle. And that's despite the fact it's rated to tow 9,100 pounds.

Ford 1/2 tons with the Max payload package have a payload capacity in the 2,500# range, which would be plenty for the 25' Bigfoot, but most 1/2 ton trucks just don't have adequate payload capacity for that trailer.

Now you will get many people saying B.S. and they pull whatever heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton TV. More power to 'em. I'm just giving the simple facts and math per the manufacturers specs.
I agree with your assessment of towing. I had a HD GMC 1500 4x4 and towed my 25 ft Bigfoot with it but I believe it was being overworked. Ultimately, went with a 3500 LB Chevy Duramax and feel much safer and stable.
RKH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot