Looking for Used Oliver 17 or 18' or RPod 178 or 179 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: In the Market
Florida
Looking for Used Oliver 17 or 18' or RPod 178 or 179

Our family of 4 in FL is looking to buy a lightly used TT lightweight.

We like R Pods that sleep 4
We LOVE Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5' but do they sleep 4?

Honda Pilot 4WD can tow 4,500 lbs.
Mel2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Melissa
You have landed on a site primarily for molded fiberglass RV's like the Oliver you are looking for. ON the other hand, R'Pods are considered what we call sick-built or stickys, and there might be one or two owners on this group.

BUT... There are several molded fiberglass RV's (FGRV's) that will sleep 4 and can be pulled by your Honda Pilot such as the Casita's and the Escape's, as long as you watch the loaded weights. Here is a link to a listing of typical loaded weights of different FGRV's
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Ask lots of questions and look around a lot until you find what you are looking for.

BTW: Used Olivers are few and far between, their owners hoard them (LOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
An Oliver is a top of the line quality product. The R Pod is nowhere the same quality. "Fiberglass" is a buzz word that confuses many first time buyers. The R Pod is indeed made of fiberglass but they are fiberglass panels on a stick frame with lots of seams where as the Oliver is a molded fiberglass build with only one seam. Huge difference. Google "R Pod problems" if you want to know more. I would absolutely love to own a Oliver and would not have an R Pod .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Florida
Thank you! Good information.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. I am new to shopping for an RV, but just from looking at photos and reading about updates, I think the Oliver would be a superior product.

That said, I cannot find out if they make Ollies that sleep 4 that I can tow. I only see those under 18.5 that sleep 3.

I see they only made 50 of the 17' in the last year of production. So I may never find one for sale.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Melissa, there are many good molded fiberglass trailers available. Bigfoot, Escape, Scamp and Casita all offer models that sleep 4 and all are much better quality than R Pod. If you tell what your budget is and what you will be towing with would be a big help also. Late model used often bring close to new prices. There are lots of forum members willing to help you spend your money.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I don't know if Oliver would add an upper bunk somewhere, but if they would and could, that would be a solution. You'd have to ask them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Melissa,

Unfortunately, there is not an Oliver that will sleep four people in separate beds. The 18.5 footer currently in production is an upgraded model that is the same floor plan as the original ones that were made in 2008-2009. The 23.5 foot model is still not laid out for greater than 3 people. That being said, if two of the four were very young children it is doable.

You are, however, unlikely to find one on the used market and if you do it will bring very nearly the same price a new model. The only advantage to a used Oliver is you can have it "now" as opposed to a six month wait.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Parkliners did make a bunk bed model that slept 4, not sure if they are still in business.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks to everyone who replied. We currently have a 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD, which pulls 4,500. We don't have a budget set yet, just trying to see what will meet our needs and how much that would cost in a range.

Also thinking about ease of use, gas mileage, and ability to go cross country with two kids and a black lab without going under 50 MPH most of the way. So just trying to see if the dream is alive or if it'll take a truck to tow.

Was thinking the Ollie II, with King Bed. The girls and I can share the king and put compact dad on the single. One will be off to college in two years anyways.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Melissa!

Molded fiberglass trailers are a great alternative. Their design makes them much less vulnerable to leaks, the bane of stick-built trailers, and resale values are excellent. But there are fewer family-oriented choices, long waits for new ones, and high demand for used ones.

Based on the trailers you mentioned, I assume you're wanting a bathroom as well as beds for four. Here are molded fiberglass options for four with a bathroom and under 4500 pounds loaded:
CURRENTLY PRODUCED:
Scamp 16 Side Bath (Layout 4)
Casita 16 SD with bunk option
Casita 17 SD with bunk option
Escape 17B with bunk option
Escape 19
OUT OF PRODUCTION:
Parkliner 15 with bunk option
VINTAGE:
Bigfoot 15B17G
Bigfoot 15B17CB
I'm sure I'm missing some less-common vintage models, but it seems like you are looking for a new (or newer) trailer.

In my mind an Escape 17B is your best option in molded fiberglass (and the exchange rate makes them a good value for US buyers right now), but Escape production is already sold out for 2016, and used units are rare and sell in a heartbeat. The main bed on the two 16' options is pretty narrow at 45" wide. Tongue weight on a Casita 17 is marginal for a Pilot. Parkliner is a nice design, but they went out of business last year. I believe the website is still up so you can see what they look like, but for now you'd have to find a used one (rare). With the Bigfoots, beware of newer 2500-series units (25B17.5CB and 25B17.5G). Nice trailers, but probably too heavy for your Pilot.

If you have the resources, you might consider buying a decent condition older unit to use now and put a deposit on the new one you really want. If it's molded fiberglass, chances are good you can resell the older one for what you paid, possibly more if you time the buying and selling right. If you can forego the bathroom for a while, even a 13'er can sleep four (we are four, too, and have a 13' Scamp).

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2016 View Post
Was thinking the Ollie II, with King Bed. The girls and I can share the king and put compact dad on the single. One will be off to college in two years anyways.
Your post came through while I was composing mine. It changes the picture a bit...

The bigger Oliver is well over 4500 pounds loaded. I'd guess around 5500-6000 pounds once you load it up with your stuff. Dry weight (sans options) is listed at 4600 pounds and GVWR is 7000 pounds. Definitely needs a truck or large SUV to pull. Prices of new ones run north of $50K, I believe. They are a very high quality trailer, in a league of their own. Better than Airstream, IMO, but less money. You won't find any bargains in used units, either. Most recent sale I could find is here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5-a-72113.html at just under $50K.

Since one of you is a short-timer, it may not make sense to base your decision on that fourth bed. Even the floor could work as a short-term solution, or the back of the Pilot folded down, or a small tent...
Old 01-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Try these sites...Craigslist....irv2.com.....RV.net.

Also check R-Pod's website for dealers who may have used units.

The only site just for fiberglass travel trailers is this one.

You might have better luck finding Jimmy Hoffa than a FGRV used as they had little market share compared to standard "stickie" RVs.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Looking for Used Oliver 17 or 18' or RPod 178 or 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
...The only site just for fiberglass travel trailers is this one...
There is one other that collects and reposts classified listings of molded fiberglass trailers (along with a few original listings): www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

It's a good place to get a feel for what's out there and what they're going for, but to snag a rare model, you also need to be searching the original postings on Craigslist, eBay, etc. The best listings often sell in hours and are gone by the time they show up on the linked site.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Comparing Oliver to an R-pod is like comparing a Krystal's to Ruth's Chris!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver