Scissor Jack or leveling jack on Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 04:47 AM   #21

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '71 Boler
Texas
Thanks for all the help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DrKyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #22

Name: constan
Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13
California
so is it OK to use scissor jacks for Scamp when using it?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the RV world, but I thought that its better to use jacks then to have the weight on the tires while living in them? I ordered a pair of these (https://www.amazon.com/Torin-T10152-...words=car+jack) and was planning to use them to jack up our 13' Scamp while it's in "home" mode. Looks like the pressure point is small on these so I was going to put a plank of wood in between it and the frame. I like how these jacks have a larger footing on the ground then the other ones I have seen too.

Is this the right way to "RV"? Our Scamp has the rear stabilizers, but it's still a bit bouncy in it.

Thx

Constan
constan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
No matter whether you have the factory Atwood stabalizers or scissor jacks on the rear of your trailer , you still have only 3 stabilization points .
I added 2 stabalizers to the front of my trailer .
I now have 5 points to help stabalizers my trailer.
Huge difference. IMHO
The other issue I've had is that if you don't lubricate the screw threads on the scissors jack , the threads rust .
If you do lubricate the threads they attract dust and dirt.
Both scenarios can make it difficult to deploy the jacks.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #24

Name: constan
Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13
California
ahh ok thanks. I'll make sure to wd40 the threads and clean em.
constan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #25

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Steve brings up a good point...The stability of the trailer improves greatly when I added the 4 corner jacks to my Boler. Just to have the 2 wheels, which are made to bounce up and down and the front screw jack would allow the trailer to rock and sway every timg you moved around in it,
Now even when on level ground camping I put them down to stop this rocking feeling.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My trailer came with Bal stabilizers which I really like. They are bolted to brackets welded to the frame so they can be removed. I added sand pads.

What ever you get, don't forget to use them. There have been several posts of folks not deploying stabilizers and having their trailer tongue go up in the air when they went to the back inside the trailer.
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Due to the issue Raz mentions, stabilizers at the rear corners are essential. Adding two more at the front corners isn't a bad idea, but it's not essential. It would relieve stress on the tongue transition, a weak point in some designs. I know one person that puts a stabilizer under the door, too, with a board to distribute the load. That spot gets a lot of traffic and the dynamic load of stepping up into the trailer.

By my count that's 8 points of support under a 13' trailer. How far do you want to go?

I use the 5 provided by Scamp: rear Atwood stabs, wheels, and tongue jack. Feels plenty solid.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Hey Raz That's exactly what happend the first day many...many years ago when the wife and I first found our Boler.
After that went about 10 years with just screw jack in the back but got jack welded on now for the past 10 years and talk about cutting down set up time on un-even sites from about 30 minutes down to about 10.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler