Remove Bathroom from Scamp 16'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Remove Bathroom from Scamp 16'?

We are considering removing the bathroom from our 1985 Scamp 16' (layout 4). The previous owner removed the toilet, but the shower components are still there. We are contemplating removing it altogether in order to have some more space and to install a small dinette table in front of the bench seat.

Has anyone removed their bathroom? How did it go? Are we killing the potential resale value by making this modification?
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post

Has anyone removed their bathroom? How did it go? Are we killing the potential resale value by making this modification?
Well you are going to get mixed answers on this but personally I would say Yes to the potential resale value impact simple because a great many people who switch to a 16' trailer do so for the bathroom facilities..... but as the trailer is of the age it is and due to the PO already haven taken out the toilet the lost value impact may not be much of a loss.... may just mean you have few potential buyers when the time comes to sell it than you might have if it had a bathroom. If your plan is to keep the trailer for a long time then it probable doesnt really matter on way or another.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Structural?

I'm wondering if it's a structural component. I'd check with Scamp. It may be as simple as installing a second twisty metal brace on the front end of the kitchen counter. What you are proposing is similar to Layout 3, so it seems reasonable.

As to resale value, I'm thinking it would likely diminish it somewhat. A lot of people do seem to want a bathroom in a small trailer. Don't get it myself, but there it is!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Shucks, a bathroom with a shower but no toilet sounds peachy to me. I could put in a porta potty, but take it out when showering.

The question will be whether the partition wall needs to be left in place, or replaced with something else, for structural purposes. Not sure if it's an issue, but Scamp folks would be the ones to know.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #5

Ohio
Well I heard back from scamp, the walls are not structural and they even gave me instructions on removing the shower/bathroom setup....now the fun part.... the OSB floor was rotted from front couch to the bed in the rear - under the shower, under the heater, under the refrigerator... so hopefully by days end friday we have a brand new floor.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 3.jpg   photo 2.jpg  

photo 1.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #6

Ohio
here was an interesting idea I had after demolition..... there is a tiny circle vent through the side wall (lower left in the corner of the shower pan in the 'after' photo). I have the cold water piping already there from the shower... has anyone ever converted that hole into a hose bib where you would have a hose spigot mounted on the outside of the scamp????
Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
here was an interesting idea I had after demolition..... there is a tiny circle vent through the side wall (lower left in the corner of the shower pan in the 'after' photo). I have the cold water piping already there from the shower... has anyone ever converted that hole into a hose bib where you would have a hose spigot mounted on the outside of the scamp????
That was the toilet vent in the before-time. An outside hose bib is an interesting idea, but then insn't the park's water hook on that side usually anyway? I would think more about moving the City Water hookup to that side to be more convienan in most camp sites (along with the 30A plug while you are all torn into the trailer and stuff).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Forgot to mention, the bathroom was a big selling point to me in getting my Scamp 16. I have a 10 year old daughter and "breaking camp" to walk her to the bath house in the middle of the night was getting really old for this old camper.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

Ohio
ya... its one of those things... we liked this one even more since removing the toilet was going to happen anyway and the PO already did it. IF we ever sell it I guess it will be to people lookin to have more room and not hauling their crap around....literally
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
With you!

I'm totally with you on the crap business! Plumbing and holding tank cleaning and maintenance don't appeal to me.

I travel with two girls (8 and 11) and have yet to make a midnight run - it's my own "old man" bladder that is most likely to require an early morning foray!

As to resale value, I suspect your work repairing the floor will more than make up for the missing bathroom.

I noticed that there is a large cutout in the forward end of the kitchen cabinet - curious what you plan to do with that. Show us more pictures as your work progresses!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #11

Ohio
Decided last night this would be a lot easier is 'stuff' was out of the way. removed the heater and removed the front bed bulkhead to get at the floor easier. All in all we have a slightly longer than 8' long x 14" wide space of rotten wood... you could tell the shower/toilet leaked like crazy and it all ran down the floor boards till it rotted through.

I'm hoping to be able to fit the floor in 3 pieces, jack it up onto some cribbing, and re-fiberglass the bottom tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
under shower.jpg   forward bulkhead2.jpg  

forward bulkhead.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I noticed that there is a large cutout in the forward end of the kitchen cabinet - curious what you plan to do with that. Show us more pictures as your work progresses!

the center support between the small cabinet that's above the heater and tall cabinet to the left of the heater was broken..... well broke when my elbow flew into it dealing with the rivets...... but ill claim it was already broken

Ill probably just fiber glass repair it
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #13

Ohio
The new plywood is now installed in place. I'm going to fiberglass it in place first thing tomorrow. Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	70033

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	70034

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	70035
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Company!

Just saw this - looks you are not the only one that likes space more than a teensy-weensy bathroom!

2006 16' Scamp Travel Trailer | Minnetonka, MN | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 04-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
. you could tell the shower/toilet leaked like crazy and it all ran down the floor boards till it rotted through

Man that is a mess - sure made that decision easy!

I am assuming when you purchased the trailer you could see the staining on the underside of the trailer so had a good idea you would need to do this before you started?

I would not assume it was the shower or toilet leaking although they may have - it looks to me from the water stains that its a good bet that a good deal of the water damage came from the bathroom window leaking. When mine started to leak I didn't notice it right away as the water stayed behind the arborite wall covering Scamp had put up on the shower walls. I did notice some water on the floor of the shower pan in a heavy rain once that I could not figure out where it came from. Wiped it up and forgot about it. Though perhaps it had come from a wet coat that had been hung in the shower. It wasn't until it happen again on the next big rain that I searched harder and noticed a faint stain forming behind the arbotite on the bathroom walls (scamp used red glue to stick it up) that I know for sure where it was coming from. There was a fair amount of water involved. If the trailer was parked with the tongue up or down that water could easily run into the kitchen area or the front bunk area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #16

Ohio
Thanks for the info on the window, I'll keep an eye on it.

Finished all the walls and moved on to upgrading the storage space under the bed/table....And found more rot. So what the heck, fix it all.

I have it all fixed and plugged, just need to fiberglass it
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #17

Ohio
Finished old bathroom floor and under the stove... Will have a little dinette table when I'm done
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16
Minnesota
Scamp bathroom removal

Quote:
Well I heard back from scamp, the walls are not structural and they even gave me instructions on removing the shower/bathroom setup....now the fun part.... the OSB floor was rotted from front couch to the bed in the rear - under the shower, under the heater, under the refrigerator... so hopefully by days end friday we have a brand new floor.
Were you able to remove the enclosure in one piece? It looks too big to fit out the door. I plan on removing the toilet and enclosure in my 16' and hoped to keep it in good shape for resale if possible.
Jon Matthiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #19

Ohio
I saw a video of everything being put in through the door and kent at scamp said it could be done... But it's like a life size puzzle in there. I can't say I really tried hard to get it out before I cut it in 2 pieces, but I didn't care to save it.

Bottom line, I'd say its probably possible... If you have more patience and some help.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
scamp