$94 for a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
$94 for a Scamp?

Sorry for the teaser title, but that is what it will cost me in interest* by the time I pay the note off on my old Scamp. I am loath to borrow money, and was very hesitant to borrow to buy a travel trailer. I have missed a couple of deals (not meant to be I suppose) because of not having the cash and not being willing to borrow but when the little Scamp came along the stars were aligned and I bit. With all the money I have had to come out of pocket to fix it up I will not be able to pay extra on the note as I had hoped. Buying a new axle and air conditioner right off also meant I was not able to pay any down and had to borrow the whole initial purchase amount. On the other hand, with those and other “upgrades” and my labor I have considerable equity in the rig already. I put some numbers in an Excel spreadsheet yesterday and the interest over the 14 1/2 months or so it will take me pay it off comes to a whopping $93 and change. The interest the last 6 months of the loan is less than $18, not much incentive to knuckle down and get the bank off my back. Heck, I will have been camping in it several weeks by then!
*Home Equity Line of Credit, 4.25%
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I paid $100 for a Trillium. The roof is collapsed though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Seems like a fair price to the able to pounce on a good deal. The next gem may be 2 years away. Congrats!

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Sounds like a great deal to me. Glad you found one!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
that is what it will cost me in interest* by the time I pay the note off on my old Scamp. I am loath to borrow money, and was very hesitant to borrow to buy a travel trailer.
It's called the time value of money. Not really too bad in the great grand scheme of things. I too am loath to borrow money, and usually go through a lot of mental anguish before I do. Don't beat yourself up too much over it.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Braggart

I'm paying $850 for a new 5th wheel (hitch including installation), but then I need to purchase the trailer that goes with it!

I know where you're coming from. I hate paying S&H AND interest. Given enough time I can talk myself out of nearly any purchase.... I still don't have a big screen TV or a cell phone

The stars DO align sometimes. Enjoy every moment.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

North Florida
Update on this high-finance deal. Since I get paid bi-weekly I started paying half-payments (on-line banking is so convenient) and will get in a couple extra ½ payments as a couple of months will have three pay-periods. That and I upped the payment $50 a month by quitting drinking, smoking, chewing and running with girls that do. Actually I never drank, smoked or chewed so I am not exactly sure how I found another $50 in the budget. Never the less, all this fiscal responsibility will allow me to pay off the old Scamp two months early and save a whopping $20 in interest. All this accounting sounds dull but I do know how to have big fun. For my birthday next month I am going to put some new tires on the tug!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Update on this high-finance deal...all this fiscal responsibility will allow me to pay off the old Scamp two months early and save a whopping $20 in interest....

Good for you, keep up the good work. Use the momentum you gathered paying this debt to pay off all bills and build a bank account. Never pay the banks another cent in interest!

Debt free is the way to be!

If you get the chance, listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio or check out his website. I listen to his podcast on my Ipad. He is the king of debt free living.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
Good for you, keep up the good work. Use the momentum you gathered paying this debt to pay off all bills and build a bank account. Never pay the banks another cent in interest!

Debt free is the way to be!

If you get the chance, listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio or check out his website. I listen to his podcast on my Ipad. He is the king of debt free living.
I agree, debt free is the best advise that you can give anyone! Live debt free and you will live happy!!!!!
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #10

North Florida
The Scamp IS my only debt. And I would not owe on it except for a divorce 3 years ago. And, Dave Ramsey has some good ideas, but they don't work or even make sense for everyone. It is a good place to start though.

Tags
scamp