How To Install Scamp Window Rock Guard? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
How To Install Scamp Window Rock Guard?

Just got my box of scamp parts (an unbelievable mess inside the box) and was looking through the box to make sure I received everything. I think I did, but one part I ordered was the front window rock guard/shield. It came with hardware but of course no instructions. I can probably figure it out after doing some research but though I'd check with you all real quick in the meantime. Have any of you installed a new one? Any pointers? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1404251957.053989.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	73173

-Seth

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Not surprised there was no instructions... On our road trip we stopped in at Scamp headquarters and there is one parts guys sitting in a room with... Well....parts all over the place...

Our scamp did not come with a rock guard but I wanted to but when we stopped there. Unfortunately they don't stock them to buy on site.

Our front window leaks a bit when driving into rain - but doesn't leak when spraying with a hose. does the guard appear to seal tight around the window to deflect water from forcing itself in while you drive in rain??

summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
I have not installed it yet but it seems like it's just a flat piece of fiberglass and I don't expect it to seal around the window. It does have some flex to it though, so one may choose to put some latches on the left and right sides of the shield to keep it a bit more curved like the body. Maybe some thick weatherstripping on the back of the shield would help to seal it against the body better (?)

-Seth

Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Seth put cover in place with a friend. Desiree ,can help. My friend had a shield that had a Scamp decal for the front of of the cover; being made from thin fiberglass as I recall 1/8 to 3/16 in thickness. It had a vinyl cover for the edge. it was a u shape it covered about 1/2 inch each side it was not made to seal. He had a glass company put in a new window, because it leaked. They seaedl it with silicone it filled the gap, but it did not adhere to the new plexiglass window. I thought it was a worthless installation, it just pealed off as I rubbed over caulked edge. I just replace the rear plexiglass window on the back of my 93 BigFoot. I used a caulking suggested. in previous notes (by Earl I think ) for those using wanting far better adhesive than worthless silicone. It is Lexel, clear, printable, cleans up with turpentine. So easy. remove the existing window and remove the caulking and use Lexel for correct seal no water will come thru. The rock guard for your. Scamp is not intended to seal the front window area, it could be tight at the center of the bends, but not on the vertical sides, It is for rock protection ! Held at the top centered left, right, top bottom it can be held in place with a little amount of tape. to get started, the hinged pieces on top. Mark where the screws can pivot on both the cover and the and the skin of the trailer, hopefully they sent bolts for the cover, and #10 or 12 screws for the skin of the trailer. you may be able to pivot the cover with gorilla tape, super " Duck " tape. I don't know, we did not try. We measured over about 3 inches to the edge of the hinge, you do not want it to bind on the curve, as you lift it. We put one screw in place on each piece and, tried the pivot, if it was Ok we went ahead with the other holes. The lock set at the bottom must have some extra tension on them, (the latch must be a little hard to close. Torque needed to close the latch The rock cover , on my BigFoot is huge. it is several inches thick. like a box with an edge about 3"s high. It has spring loaded shocks like those to open the rear door on an SUV. It is curved to fit the shape of the trailer. the Scamp is flat. It is about 1/2 inch away from the skin up the sides, no water seal to the window, I squirt water in the sides to clear leaves and loose junk, or open it up and wash it down, with the hose. My friends cover is held open with a long stick. Do not rush it. Keep checking fit. It was not equal left to right compared to up and down, ( from the manufacturer ) Good luck.
Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp