I am Chris from NH looking at ParkLiner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Looking
NH
I am Chris from NH looking at ParkLiner

Hello all,

I am Chris from NH. My husband and I are looking at fg trailers, particularly ParkLiner. We are longtime tent campers tired of the packing to get there and to get home that makes any trip less than 3 nights unappealing.

We want a small egg-shaped trailer that can sleep up to 4 in a pinch (11 and 14 yo sons will still be in a tent mostly) and has a 54" or bigger main bed. ParkLiner looks about perfect on paper. I wish the Scamp 16' had a bigger bed. We cannot go below 54" bed due to my restlessness. 54" is already a compromise down from a full queen at 60".

We are traveling in October to Eggshells in the OBX to (hopefully) check out ParkLiner as well as other egg-shaped brands and any Airstreams that may be present. We hope to meet you there.

Chris
Chris W. in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sounds well thought out. Bed size is one reason we got an Escape 19. Some BIG bed trailers are actually on the small side. Mfrs sometimes are fast and loose with their descriptions. Be sure to ask for dimensions. We had a "twin" bed trailer where the twins were 23 inches wide. A standard twin is 39 inches wide, so that was quite a difference!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Chris, my wife and I plan on attending this rally as well with our 2014 Parkliner. We will be on the ocean side due to late booking; fill free to stop in and see us...George
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

NH
Thank you.

The Escape is 2nd on our list with it's 60" bed. It's a little long at 19' for my husband's liking but I am hoping we can check one out at the rally. With PL moving to 16' it is close.

George - We will look for you and your ParkLiner in the OBX.

Chris
Old 08-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #5

Registry
The other advantage to the 19 Escape is the 44 inch dinette on the other end. That either gives you a four person dinette, or a two person with "stuff". 23/24 inch dinettes common in many trailers are really tight. And when you make a 24 inch dinette into a bed, it makes for a very small bed.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

NH
Thanks, Bill.

I also like the bigger fridge :-), bigger tanks, and the option for solar in the Escape. I am hoping the new ParkLiner adds some options there.

I will definitely try to see an Escape 19' before we buy anything. I hope someone will have one at Eggshells in the OBX that we can view.

With that said, husband is really pushing for the smallest MFG possible that meets our needs:
1. 60" main bed (or 54")
2. Can sleep up to 4 in a pinch
3. We can stand upright inside (6 ft. tall or higher)
4. Has a sink, fridge, stove, and toilet
5. Ideally: Can be towed by our Honda Odyssey minivan (which is now not as important since we will likely upgrade to a Pilot)

Chris
Old 08-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Registry
Realize molded trailers are measured end to end including length of rear bumper and front tongue. So a 19 foot trailer is not 18% bigger than a 16 footer, it's more like 25% bigger. That's 25% more room for larger bed, larger dinette, larger bathroom and larger kitchen. If only 6 inches is added to the bed going from 54 to 60 inches, that leaves 18 inches for making everything else bigger. This is why Escape 19 can have a 60 inch bed AND a 44 inch dinette. Compare dimensions of dinette, bath and bed between an Escape 17B and a 19.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #8

NH
Thanks, Bill.

I was aware of how they are measured. ParkLiner 15' is actually only 12' inside for example. Escape 19 is 15' 8" inside. So you are right in that it is at least 25% bigger. Almost 33% actually over PL 15'. Not sure what PL 16' inside dimensions will be.

I am working on the husband who thinks smaller is better. Really hoping to stand in both Escape 19 and ParkLiner 16. I think our choice will be between these 2.

Escape 17 has only a 52" bed so will not meet our needs. Airstream Sport 22 FB (in 3rd spot for us) is just too expensive really although I can dream.

Best,
Chris
Old 08-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe

We are a family of four as well, and we had a Casita prior to our Escape. Our kids slept out in a tent as well, but there were times when it was too hot or humid for them to be comfortable.

So on those occasions, we would have them in the trailer. As they grew, the space in the trailer shrank proportionally. It got to the point where it really wasn't as much fun.

That's when we knew we needed to get something bigger so all of us could be comfortable no matter what the conditions. Our kids are now 17 and 13, and have yet to use a tent since we got our Escape, which makes us think that they really weren't thrilled about sleeping in it in the first place.

I just say that as something to think about. In case you haven't already [emoji4].
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

Registry
Your first 4 requirements put a big squeeze on the 5th one. Be sure to ignore dry weights, that is not what you will be towing, and look at weights in the real world instead. Then look at all the tow ratings: tow rating, max tongue weight, tow vehicle payload limit and GCWR.

Odyssey does not have the towing capability to handle an Escape or many other of the larger molded trailers either. Some Pilots have quite a bit better rating.

I haven't met a car sales person yet that took the time to review all of the limits to a TV. Typically, they don't get past the general tow rating, which is really just the tip of the iceberg.
How Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) Works | HowStuffWorks
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W. in NH View Post
Thanks, Bill.

I was aware of how they are measured. ParkLiner 15' is actually only 12' inside for example. Escape 19 is 15' 8" inside. So you are right in that it is at least 25% bigger. Almost 33% actually over PL 15'. Not sure what PL 16' inside dimensions will be.

I am working on the husband who thinks smaller is better. Really hoping to stand in both Escape 19 and ParkLiner 16. I think our choice will be between these 2.

Escape 17 has only a 52" bed so will not meet our needs. Airstream Sport 22 FB (in 3rd spot for us) is just too expensive really although I can dream.

Best,
Chris
Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

We faced those same compromises between the "small tow" and "large space at the campground". I was adamant that slides are not a viable answer due to weight and mechanical considerations.

We were also attracted to the Airstream 22FB. Colonial Airstream has a great 38-minute walk-through video on YouTube. In the end, we ordered an Escape 21, but that's not important as you folks are searching for what works for you.

However, I thought you might be interested to see a comparison of what you get with an Airstream 22FB as compared to some of the other trailers we had on our short-list, so I have posted our comparison here.
Attached Thumbnails
Compare Trailers.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
In February (2017), we just picked up a Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A with the front sofa/bunks instead of the front dinette (a "no charge" change/upgrade).

We can sleep 4+, have a 54" bed, a side bathroom, a closet, a 4.6 cu-ft refrigerator, etc. (To get the 54" bed in a Scamp 16, you need to get a Deluxe. To sleep 4+, you need the main bed plus bunks/sofa)

I think it meets all your stated wants/needs.

BTW - We do currently plan to attend Eggshells in the Outer Banks.

Our Scamp salesman was Wayne Pitlick. Ask him about the trailer they built in February for Ray & Francie (Indep. Mo.).

Tell Wayne we said "Hi!". If you need more details or pictures, send me/us a PM.

Good luck with your search! ☺

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Hi Chris in NH.
Hope you find the right trailer for you and I do hope you can make it to the Spring Fling in New England Rally next May.
It is at Chocorua Camping Village KOA in Chocorua NH.
This will be our 2nd year and the more campsites we get the lower the price.
Check it out in Rally Forum.
They are now taking reservations and when making one be sure to say your with the
Spring Fling Group.
ope to see you in May.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #14

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Parkliner
Montana
Just took a tape measure to our PL bed. 5' wide, 6'9" long. And although PL specs say 6'4" interior height, my 2012 measures 6'6". Not complaining as I'm 6'5".
Montana Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #15

NH
Thank you, Everyone!

There is a lot to think about here.

Bill - Yup! PL 16' may let us stick with the Odyssey but anything bigger, like the Escape, means a bigger tow vehicle. Good reminder about dry vs. real weight. Pilot AWD version can handle 5000 lbs and more tongue weight.

Civilguy - I have my own spreadsheets going too. I like the data in yours. Are you an engineer? Civil engineer? I am a chemE and your analysis looks a little like mine. Airstream Sport 22FB is very pretty. I also don't like the look of those sliders (or stick builts in general for that matter). They look like more problems for the future - leaks or mechanical - then I want to deal with.

Rdickens - I hope to check out that Scamp at OBX. Good to know the 16' Scamp has an option for 54" bed. They did not tell me that when I talked to them. Said it was only in 13'. I'll add the 16' Deluxe to my spreadsheet.

Gerry - School age kids may get in the way of the NH Spring Fling but we will see if we can make it work.

I love the interaction in these forums. :-) It is awesome.
Chris
Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri

Chris,

If you haven't been reading it, you might find that the following thread could offer additional insights:

Where Are the Fiberglass RVs for Families?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=80952

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Hi Chris, I have a 2014 Parkliner and travel with 3-4 dogs and haul with a Town and Country. I thought about getting something a little bigger as it is a bit cramped when everyone is inside but then I got looking at some others and realized unless you go quite a bit larger with a slide you really aren't gaining much. I consider my trailer to be kind of like a hotel room where you don't want to stay in there all day but it sure is nice to have available. One other thing, I don't really feel that my T & C hauls as well as I would like. I weighed my entire rig and was right at the maximum. For the distances I go it is fine since I am usually just going to a dog show that is not too far away but if I were to haul it long distances I would definitely use our Suburban. I absolutely adore my little trailer, if you get one you can bet you will never go anywhere without people stopping you and asking all kinds of questions. I love showing her off. Good luck with your decision
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
Either the Honda Pilot or its sibling the Acura MDX are a perfect fit for the 15' Parkliners. For our MDX, we added a transmission cooler for good measure. We're now rated to tow 5000 lbs.

I can stand up at 5'10 easy with room to spare in my 2016 PL. I'm a big man, yet can shower with no difficulty. If you can find one with an exterior water spigot, I recommend it. With a short hose and water wand attached, we have thoroughly enjoyed it as a hand held outdoor shower, much less for all the other uses it affords.

The queen is adequate. It seems to be a real queen size, but I've done no formal comparison with my queen at home. We added a mattress topper and it's as good as we could want. We sleep 2 but 4 could make do in a pinch.

fyi the A/C was awesome in this summer's heat wave and the heater is terrific too. Give the fridge a few hours to cool down and it does just fine. We have the macerating toilet and have found it "does the job."

Within 6 months we no longer noticed space limitations. It feels more adequate each time we go out.

We love our PL.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
I don't see where anyone has posted information about the "new" Parkliner. If you're looking at one of the new ones, I'm thinking due to the double hull construction, the weight will increase quite a bit. Liberty will have one of the 16' Parkliners at the rally so you can post the new specs after the rally. I cannot attend but hope to get all the reviews AND pictures, please.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:03 AM   #20

NH
We bought an airstream in the end

Hello all,

In the end, we did not want to wait for ParkLiner although I will continue to watch.

Escape layout was not to my liking, the interior seemed so dark, and we wanted to work with a local dealer if at all possible.

Other fg trailers had to be pretty big to get a 54" or bigger bed and sleep 3-4.

Airstream Sport 22FB ACTUAL price was not as much as we thought. We pick ours up tomorrow.

We will not be at Eggshells on the OBX this year afterall although we may attend as a shiny egg in the future.

I appreciate all the info on this site. I will be lurking still.

THANK YOU!
Chris

Tags
parkliner