New (to me) 1971 Havasu - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: erin
Trailer: Havasu
New Mexico
New (to me) 1971 Havasu

I just purchased this Havasu trailer that's the same age as me, and seems (to me) to be in great condition. I *think* that it had one owner until 2013 (it was posted for sale on this site in 2013), then the second owner never used it. Since I haven't been able to find much about Havasus (Havasi?) online (and I've found NO photos of another that has an oven, as mine does), I thought I'd share some pics here.

It appears to have had some interior work done (like trim, contac paper walls) that isn't the most beautiful I've ever seen, but it is fully functional, with no leaks and a CLEAN fridge! We had to add a different wiring harness to make it compatible with my Ford Escape, which tows it like a dream. I just need to pick up a new battery and we can be on the road.

Any advice anyone here may have for its care and feeding, I'd love to hear.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6381.jpg   IMG_6382.jpg  

IMG_6385.jpg   IMG_6386.jpg  

IMG_6420.jpg   IMG_6423.jpg  

IMG_6429.jpg   IMG_6430.jpg  

erinaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #2

Name: Deirdre
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Very cool - I for one am drooling over the stove colour!! Happy camping!
littlemisspippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's basically a Compact with a fixed poptop- and some of them have ovens. Love the oven color. I've seen that in a VW popup but not one of these.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: erin
New Mexico
Small correction -- we are definitely not the 3rd owners! Heard back (via this site) from the folks that sold it in 2013 and they know of at least a couple before them. It has held up well. Looking forward to our first trip, probably mid-May to southern NM, then Grand Canyon for the annual star party in June.
erinaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
lucky fella
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

Name: Janet
California
Registry
My husband and I just bought a 1972 Havasu -- which we are gutting and redesigning (with what little budget we have). Yours actually looks pretty nice inside! We have no oven, but the original 3-burner cooktop is there, so if it works we'll be keeping it! There is something about this camper that I just love, though I'm not sure what it is. We will be posting pictures soon.
janet berrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet berrian View Post
My husband and I just bought a 1972 Havasu -- which we are gutting and redesigning (with what little budget we have). Yours actually looks pretty nice inside! We have no oven, but the original 3-burner cooktop is there, so if it works we'll be keeping it! There is something about this camper that I just love, though I'm not sure what it is. We will be posting pictures soon.
to FiberglassRV Janet.

Can I respectfully suggest that you not gut your new trailer. At least not yet. You say it's looks pretty nice inside. That tells me it's usable. We are in camping season and if you move forward with your plans, you'll miss opportunities to make memories. Until you've camped in your trailer, you really won't know what changes/mods need to be done. No matter how good ideas are and sketches look, nothing is the same as actually using the trailer. I'd suggest waiting until you've used it and then if you want to move forward gut/change do it during non-camping season.

Of all things, one thing you can never get back is time. Don't waste one moment when you can make memories.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I agree with Donna, its a great time to be camping right now
That little woop-de-do raised roof is very cool!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Very cool little trailer. I too love the turquoise oven! It looks to be in really nice shape - pretty much ready to go Glamping! Have fun!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I saw a Compact basically as "salvage" at a place near me a few years back. Now I wonder if I should have bought it!

My question is, the raised fiberglass portion on this trailer, is that factory? The Compact I saw had the "cloth" when it was raised. I actually like the one displayed here better! More durable.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
My question is, the raised fiberglass portion on this trailer, is that factory? The Compact I saw had the "cloth" when it was raised. I actually like the one displayed here better! More durable.
…but not garageable, one of the big advantages of Compacts in an age of HOA restrictions, possibly heavier, and having greater frontal area and less ventilation. But I see your point, especially after learning of a forum member's recent experience with having the pop top on a Campster tear loose while driving at highway speeds. Judging by the number of pop tops out there, though, I think that was a rare event. In any case, this one is cool!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You have a good point too Jon. My Scamp has the roof-mount A/C and I cant get it in the garage. Although, I have a nice "carport" to park it under, it would still be nice when I want to do some work on it (especially during the cold winter or rains) be able to pull it in the garage. Pros/cons to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
…but not garageable, one of the big advantages of the Compacts in an age of HOA restrictions, and also heavier and having greater frontal area. But I see your point, especially after learning of a forum member's recent experience with having the pop top on a Campster tear loose while driving at highway speeds. Judging by the number of pop tops out there, though, I think that was a rare event.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
havasu