UHaul 13 VIN (again) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
JAB

Name: John & Joanne
Trailer: UHaul CT13
New Hampshire
UHaul 13 VIN (again)

Hi Uhaulers,
My wife and I just purchased our first RV - a UHaul 13. I have questions for future posts but first I have to get "Hughie" registered and insured. As other owners, I can't find the manufacturer's VIN(17), only the UHaul VIN(10). Luckily I have an old registration that lists the 17 VIN but I've looked all over using guidance from other posts on this forum and can't find it. I even did some crayon rubbing to try to find a few of the numbers/letters - nothing.
I have an idea, seeing how helpful other owners are on this forum. I know it's a long-shot but... I supply my VIN leaving out a few numbers at the end. Could an owner with an identical sequence tell me where he or she found theirs?
Mine is: 14HU0910XEW201xxx. (If it's on the propane take holder, mine has been replaced, but then I can stop looking and figure out what's next.)
You owners sound great. Thanks for your help!
John
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhaul painted on numbers on the rear were a unit ID number. Some known locations of the 17 digit number may be: 1) somewhere on the tongue, possibly near the coupler, and probably painted over 2) a sticker on the left lower side near the front, 3) a sticker on the inside of the cabinet door that is below the sink, 4) a plate welded to the frame to the rear of the left wheel and painted over. 5) some trailers had a short pipe welded to the frame with paperwork inside. On our trailer part of the sticker on the left front was missing, our VIN# was on a piece of label maker tape on the front window frame. If you have a registration with the VIN #, and want it on the trailer, get a set of the number and letter stamps and put the number on the tongue. The number may also be on top of the front crossmember of the frame but you won't see it unless the body is removed from the frame.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
JAB

New Hampshire
Thanks, Bob. I'll check again on the frame, left side. Maybe someone with this VIN series will write. John
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
John & Joanne,

Congratulations on your new purchase of the U-Haul CT.

I just wanted to extend an invitation to join us on Facebook at U-Haul Camper.

We are a close group of about 660 U-Haul and Burro owners. There is a lot of info over there also.

I hope you enjoy the CT and find your VIN.

All the best to you.

Perk
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
JAB

New Hampshire
Hi Perk,
My wife and I have been reluctant to join Facebook for various reasons but I understand there is a way of joining that leaves you somewhat anonymous. It sounds like the UHaul site is very helpful. We'll think about joining.
Thank you for your good wishes. We are in our early 70s and have kids all over the country. We've "tented" all our lives but thought we'd get something that gets us up off the ground and sheltered from the rain. We've been looking for a while but hadn't noticed the UHaul 13 until recently - it's just what we wanted. We'll stay closer to home for a while until we get a better tow vehicle next year.
Regards, John and Joanne
Old 03-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
John,

Yes there are ways to really minimize what you put and expose on your FB Page.

If you do decide to create a FB Page and want to join U-Haul Camper, please let me know so that I know it is you that is requesting to join the group.

We do have a great group of owners and lots of information and experience.

Also as a closed FB Group your posting are not seen outside of the Group.

Perk
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I have also seen a plate on the middle cross member of the frame over the axle which can have the VIN and also be stamped "Not Uhaul Property" as this was done when the units were sold out of the fleet.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #8

New York
Mike, I have not seen such a plate on our frame, and I've looked under the trailer a lot. As a retiree from a nationwide truck leasing / rental company I'm familiar with de-ID procedures at the time of vehicle sales. Done better at some locations than others. I suspect at the time the Uhaul campers were to be sold there was a out service / de-ID procedure where decals were to be removed along with unit ID numbers. We've all seen where some trailers had the Uhaul name covered, some the decals were removed, and some had nothing done. All depending on who and where it was done. I found one trailer that had all the decals intact and had it's original hubcaps. Mine also does not have the document tube on the frame as others report finding.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

New York
John & Joanne, I am also 70, bought our Uhaul about 6 years ago to add to our other campers, a vintage teardrop and a pop-up. The pop-up has now gone to our son. We were able to tow the Uhaul with a couple vehicles we already owned, a Honda CRV and a GM Blazer. We took the Uhaul south for a couple winters, then bought a Casita 17 that we wintered in the past 3 years. The Uhaul was OK, but the Casita is more roomy, has a bathroom, and a table we can leave up. Had to buy a bigger tow vehicle to handle the Casita. We've been to New Hampshire a couple times with the Uhaul. Now it gets used for short term trips only, and along with the teardrop for vintage rallies. Be sure to check out the known problems in the files section of the Facebook group. A little history of your camper would be interesting, like how you found it, condition, and some pictures would be great. Bob
Old 03-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
JAB

New Hampshire
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the tip. When the weather gets nicer I'll crawl under and take a look there. Not a lot of clearance by the way, good thing I'm skinny!
Hi Bob,
We're new at all this so a photo might follow. Right now I'm going to get the tarp on before this Tuesday's snow storm.
Regards, John
Old 03-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

New York
This is what I use to get under trailers, and any other vehicle, solid wood ramps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0281.jpg  

Tags
uhaul, vin