Reset Air Conditioner on Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Reset Air Conditioner on Parkliner

I'm gearing up for my 1st trip and everything checks out but the A/C. It acts like it has no power. The microwave is working so I know I have ac electricity.

So I'm thinking I need to reset the a/c using the reset button on the power cable. The problem is getting to it.

The outside vent is riveted on. The a/c is mounted inside the trailer and won't slide out. There is a door panel above it, but there isn't enough room to get to the power cable.

The left rear of the a/c is where the power cable is. The foam at the rear of the a/c is glued to a board and is packed tight to hold the a/c in place.

I'm hoping someone with a Parkliner has already fought this battle and figured it out. All suggestions appreciated.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Huck,
Check and see if the GFCI outlet by the side dinette is tripped. If it is, everything past the outlet on that side of the camper will be out as well. The other side of the unit, including the microwave is protected by the GFCI outlet by the side of the stove, so you can have AC on one side of the trailer and not on the other. We ran in to a similar problem last year on our first night on our way home from Gibsonville. The microwave wouldn't work and we realized that the refrigerator would not operate on AC. The GFCI outlet by the stove was tripped and would not reset. I assumed the GFCI was bad and ran an extension cord from the street side to the microwave to heat dinner and switched the refrigerator to propane for the night. The next day I drove to a local hardware store and purchased a new GFCI outlet and replaced the original. Same problem. I started disconnecting things downstream of the GFCI outlet until the reset held. Turned out that the outlet for the microwave was connected to the romex using the push in quick connects on the outlet. I switched the wires to the side screws and everything held and has been fine ever since. I left my new ivory GFCI outlet and cover plate installed as a memory of the first evening's fun. Oh, and I carry the original white one as a spare. Hopefully, your solution will be simpler and just pressing the reset button on the GFCI outlet will solve the problem.
Best of luck. BTW, once we got back within cell phone range, I called ParkLiner and told Chandler that he ought to consider checking every outlet before a unit rolls off of the loading dock. I'm guessing that may still not be happening in every case.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Huck,
Check and see if the GFCI outlet by the side dinette is tripped.
Thanks Brian. When I read your response I was sure that was it. But it's not. I plugged a radio into the GFCI outlet and it works.

I was able to get a finger on the a/c reset. I think I pushed in the test and reset buttons, but I didn't hear a click. A/C still doesn't power on. I think I need something smaller than my finger to push the buttons.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

Upstate New York
Dang! I was hoping that would do the trick. I just went out and looked at mine and I see that the outlet box is in an impossible place to test. If you look in the toe kick space, you will see that there are three screws going up through the fiberglass and into the plywood the A/C unit sits on. I couldn't tell if they were phillips or square head screws since my eyes no longer focus at that range. In any event you would need a stubby screwdriver or a 1/4" socket wrench with a screwdriver bit to remove them. I would try removing them and see if the A/C will slide out with the sheet of plywood. It's the only thing I can see holding anything in place. If that does the trick, at least you can then test the outlet. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

Virginia
I found that there is a little room to the left of the A/C when looking at it at floor level from the front. I can see the plug and reset/test buttons. I used a piece of 1/4" dowel to snake through and push on the reset/test buttons.

As far as I can tell, neither seemed to do anything. I think the test is supposed to stay depressed press pressed and the reset is supposed to return it to normal position. No clicks on either button.

In terms of troubleshooting, what does this likely mean?

ETA: I have some fiberglass rods I use for making plant covers. I cut one to about 18" and tried that. The rod worked perfectly, but still no reset so I don't think it is getting power. I'm going to leave the rod under the door panel in case I need to reset the a/c in the future.

I think I will just take the trailer to Parkliner and get them to fix the a/c. I won't have electrical hookup this trip anyway.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
As far as I can tell, neither seemed to do anything. I think the test is supposed to stay depressed press pressed and the reset is supposed to return it to normal position. No clicks on either button.

In terms of troubleshooting, what does this likely mean?

I think I will just take the trailer to Parkliner and get them to fix the a/c. I won't have electrical hookup this trip anyway.
Sounds like no power to the outlet, but if you're close enough to Gibsonville, I would let them deal with it. It's a 1300 mile round trip for me and I don't even have the time to deal with the battery issue this summer!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #7

Virginia
Old thread, but I thought I would update. AC power wasn't wired properly and Parkliner fixed it.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

Upstate New York
Quote:
Old thread, but I thought I would update. AC power wasn't wired properly and Parkliner fixed it.
Hi Huck,
What was the time frame on the repair? Recently? Or some time ago? Did you have to bring your PL to Gibsonville or did you have it repaired locally and they reimbursed you?

I don't expect Chandler will ever answer any of my emails or phone messages, but inquiring minds want to know.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Hi Huck,
What was the time frame on the repair? Recently? Or some time ago? Did you have to bring your PL to Gibsonville or did you have it repaired locally and they reimbursed you?

I don't expect Chandler will ever answer any of my emails or phone messages, but inquiring minds want to know.
I took it there, but I live close by. They have been good about fixing things, but most would have been caught if they had better quality control procedures. They fixed it shortly after I had posted about it, but I forgot to update the thread.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Upstate New York
Quote:
I took it there, but I live close by. They have been good about fixing things, but most would have been caught if they had better quality control procedures. They fixed it shortly after I had posted about it, but I forgot to update the thread.
Thanks Huck, I was afraid that was the case.

Tags
parkliner