To buy or not to buy? Beachcomber B15, Newby QUESTIONS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: cam
Trailer: in the market
British Columbia
To buy or not to buy? Beachcomber B15, Newby QUESTIONS

Hi I've got an option to purchase a Beachcomber B15.
I'm trying to determine whether this is something that works for me, and if it's a good value?

Does it work for me?

Height is my first concern: I am 6' tall and when I stood inside I had to bend my neck an inch of two. I don't think I will like that at all, especially if this is intended to be a long ownership, which I would like it to be if I am going to restore it. From the photos you can see that the roof is sagging.
Two thoughts, first if restored with a flat ceiling will I be able to stand? Is it just the sag? Note, the interior ceiling looked even and didn't appear to sag in any place. Second, can I raise the ceiling height by not adding the flat ceiling on the inside?

Time/amount of work, knowledge.
I'm up to new things and learn as I go. But I have never worked with fiberglass, and assume I will have to even purchase new tools to work on it.

The trailer itself:
Blown tire. No trim on door at all. Plastic front window, broken side window.
Poor sealing on all windows. BellyBand looks rough. Repainted ceiling around window. Frame looks good? Chips throughout body, esp. underneath. Spider cracks on side.

As far as my TV, I have two V-6 mini-vans and don't have the 7 hole plug, just a flat 4.

The seller said $1300, and immediately said he wanted me to make an offer. It looks like it's been sitting a long time without a bite. My thought is to offer $500, but I wanted some knowledge first, especially about the height and work-load for a newby. Tires, rebuild whole interior, frame work, battery, propane, etc. How much do you think this would cost to reno? I would do most of the work, save welding or sandblasting if needed.

Thanks a lot.
wfamily
wfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #2

British Columbia
Pics again

Attached pictures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1130.jpg   IMG_1131.jpg  

IMG_1132.jpg   IMG_1133.jpg  

Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Unless you have done a lot of electrical and carpentry work and have those kinds of tools and skill sets, starting out with just bones may be a bit to much to bite off and, especially if you have to farm out any work at all, the costs will skyrocket.

That said, from your description a seasoned rebuilder might grab it quickly at anything under $1000, I know I would..

Being height disadvantaged is a problem in many of the FGRV's, but as you mentioned that it was going something you wanted to keep long term, as is the case with most of us, you will start to get shorter with age and maybe everything will work out fine,. LOL

There will be a similar age, size and shape restored Surfside on eBay about the middle of next month from down in Idaho. When you see what that one sells for you might have wished you bought this one.... but it does sound like a big bite to take for your first project.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

British Columbia
I haven't done a lot of electrical, but some. I also am not a carpenter, but have tools (no air compressor) and done quite a bit of DIY work. Thanks for the heads-up, I am not sure if I should take this on, but am 50/50. Does anyone know about the height inside of these? Can it be raised if the flat ceiling is not installed?
Here are four more pics.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1136.jpg   IMG_1137.jpg  

IMG_1138.jpg   IMG_1139.jpg  

Old 05-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
First off, I am no expert on Beachcombers.

Since the roof does not have any features like a trolly roof, it is probably framed on the inside to support that large flat surface. The inside thickness of the ceiling vent trim seems to be about 2". Not installing that framing will make any snow load unsupportable.

The frame LOOKS ok, but that is not just surface rust. I would take a very close look at what kind of shape it is in.

It looks like this has been leaking for some time. You will likely have to gut it down to the fibreglass. You may need a new floor as well. Were there any soft spots?

So to sum it up. Looks like work.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
It is doable, but a LOT of time and effort. If you're retired, you might get it roadworthy this year, but you're going to need a lot of patience!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #7

British Columbia
There were no soft spots that I saw, but I didn't move anything around to check. All the furnishings were in it, as well as other personal items. So it was hard to tell. I think it's just going to sit there for a long time, because it's certainly not being cleaned up to show for a sale.
From everyone, it sounds like it will be a lot of work.

I like stripping things down to the bare bones and starting there, and designing the interior. But it's true that I don't have a ton of time. My main concern was the height.
I'm wondering what things are worth, as I'm new to FGRVs.

I also saw a 1988 16' Scamp, rebuilt from frame up. Needs interior furnishings that's all. It is for sale for $5750. USD. Is that a good buy?

Here is the info on it:
A lot of work has already been done to this " Little Gem "
Scampy has had a frame up restoration done as well as a lot of exterior work.......
To begin with she has had her body lifted and frame reinforced her chassis and floor have been undercoated from front to back , she also has a new factory weld on swivel tongue lift with a new safety chain and new 7 prong plug for tail lights as well as many other numerous things which it will be best just to make a list for you .....

New Front Receiver Jack
2 New Rear Stabilizer Jacks
New Molly Roller Bearings
3 New Factory Style Wheels
3 New Class C Tubeless Tires
New Atwood 6 Gallon Hot Water Heater/ With New Door
Her Exterior Door has been restored with New Factory Fabric , a New Locking Door Latch with keys,
New Hinges and New Door Hold all done with stainless steel bolts.....
New Porch Light with Switch
New Aluminum Drip Rail above Door
New Front Fiberglass Window with Window Seal and New Gravel Shield
New Factory Range Hood vent
New freshwater Fill

Her body has also been resealed , she has New Snap Cap Washers with stainless steel screws and aluminum pop rivets sealed with 5200 New Snap Caps with New Acorn Nuts , she has her original gel coat which is in overall good condition , except for a crack on her right front corner . ( see photo )

Interior comes with New Carpet for You if You choose to install it , still has her original fabric interior which is in very good condition . comes with her original cushions which will need to be reupholstered . Comes with her factory cabinets which are in good condition , I also have the cabinet doors that are in poor condition , however they can still be used for patterns if you choose to do so , not included are her appliances and curtains which you get to choose.
She also comes with her kitchen sink and faucet and toilet they just need to be reinstalled...The black and gray water tanks have been flushed out and tested for leaks , also comes with new copper propane tubing and plumbing which you can install with your new appliances....
So, is it worth it to attempt a rebuild, and spend 1,500-2,000 (my guess), or go for something finished like the Scamp?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Just to inform you, I purchased a Scamp similar in condition to yours. The floors were rotted out, there was minimal electric sources in the Scamp. The interior stunk, the shell was allowing water in through the fiberglass. I had to take the shell off the trailer, remove and restore the rusted area's, gut the entire thing. Install a new floor, bondo, fiberglass, remove the belly band, the windows and jacks. Long story short, if you can get one for about 4-5k with no issues "go for it". But while it is a pain in the neck, I'm building a brand new Scamp inside out. If I had to do it again, I would buy one with no issues and just do yearly upkeep to make sure I had no issues.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It almost always comes out costing less to buy the best you can afford than to buy a fixer to save money, especially if you have to farm any work out. Not to mention all of the memories you will never collect while doing a year long rebuild rather than actually using the rig.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for the replies. I think I will pass on the Beachcomber and save up for a trailer in better condition, like the Scamp that's available.

Tags
beachcomber