Hydro Flame for Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Hi Folks! I've done some measuring and it looks like the old gravity fed Hydro Flame I found will fit in my 1300. The catch is that I've been quoted about $300.00 to replace the valve and burner heads and another 200 - 300 to install it (new install). Might as well call it 600 to put in an old furnace! Any brilliant (meaning cheap!) alternatives?

Thx!!
Tracy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That is a bit costly. I had the same furnace in my previous Boler. I loved it. No power consumption and gave me lots of heat for trailer. I sure miss it.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Does your heater look something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	htr1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	24275

Based on what little work it took for me to remove mine and replace it with a new cat heater, $200-300 seems incredibly high. If it needs a new LP line, that could account for some of it, but still seems high to me. Mine had no electrical connection, just LP.

Are you sure the heater needs a valve & burners? Often the old burners only need a good cleaning. If the valve in question is only a local inline shutoff valve, that's about $15 or less.

Where I live, there's a shop that does nothing but sell and work on LP gas. A place like this would most likely be able to check the unit for operability, provide a good installation, and would probably charge less than a typical RV shop. For instance, they've custom fabricated a 3-foot LP hose with fittings for about $16 (with most of the cost in the fittings, not the hose).
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium
Thanks guys! Don, you mentioned a conversion to a cat. What did you go with?
Tracy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I bought a Platinum Cat on ebay several years ago, intending to use it in the 20-ft Avion that I had at the time. I never did get around to that, and the Avion is gone. I just installed it in my Hunter I. It had never been used, so I guess the person that I bought it from never got around to installing it either.

It's the smaller of two models, the 3P12. It has a fan that vents all of the combustion byproducts to the outside, making it safer than most. This includes water vapor, so there should be no condensation on the windows. I haven't tried it overnight yet, so we'll see how that works.

I mounted it in a door under the galley, with a flexible LP hose, so I can open the door and face it forward. It has a wall mounted thermostat. In my short tests so far, it seems to put out plenty of heat, and does cycle off when the set temperature is reached. Pictures will be on my web site in a few days.

Apparently at one point, this heater went out of production for a while, but it is now available again, at a higher price than when I bought mine. More info is on the maker's site. I believe they are a one or two person operation.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #6

That seems very expensive to me, too. I have a couple of those old Hydro Flames here and both have bad valves...I don't think it's worth it to repair an old furnace.

I am currently using the Olympian Wave 3 in my trailers. It works well, requires no power and is safe. It does require a window cracked or the roof vent open a little. Have never had a problem with it. Much less than $600. VK
VK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ( 3 trailers 71/ 72/ 73)
I`ve been watching heater threads hoping to come up with something for my Boler.They won`t allow the Olympian Wave ones into Canada.What else is avaible out there in Canada to use.I don`t use powered sites so it needs to be propane.Any suggestions would be greatly appericated
lynne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #8

I always thought the force ten heater was another interesting idea

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp_Force_10_Heater_002.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	24319
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
To add to my previous post, some photos of my Platinum Cat as installed are here. (bottom row of photos).

Don
Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

We use a portable electric heater like one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8...matchpartialmax

It can really heat our 13' Trillium!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I`ve been watching heater threads hoping to come up with something for my Boler.They won`t allow the Olympian Wave ones into Canada.What else is avaible out there in Canada to use.I don`t use powered sites so it needs to be propane.Any suggestions would be greatly appericated

Hi Lynne, I'm assuming Wave 3's are outlawed in Canada because they are not vented? You could carry a Little Buddy which runs on the little bottles if they are allowed; again, not vented. They also do not like altitude and use more propane than the Waves.

Your only solution may be a furnace that is vented. That means spendy. Try to find one without a fan, which will kill a battery overnight. Wish I had the perfect heater for you....VK
VK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
The valve is available form Johnstone Supply mush cheaper and is a direct replacement for the Manitrol family of valves. You will need a business with a wholesale license to help you get it.

May I have a photo of the valve?

Harry

Quote:
Hi Folks! I've done some measuring and it looks like the old gravity fed Hydro Flame I found will fit in my 1300. The catch is that I've been quoted about $300.00 to replace the valve and burner heads and another 200 - 300 to install it (new install). Might as well call it 600 to put in an old furnace! Any brilliant (meaning cheap!) alternatives?

Thx!!
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Remember when starting this up hold that red button down for a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H. View Post
Does your heater look something like this:

Attachment 24275

Based on what little work it took for me to remove mine and replace it with a new cat heater, $200-300 seems incredibly high. If it needs a new LP line, that could account for some of it, but still seems high to me. Mine had no electrical connection, just LP.

Are you sure the heater needs a valve & burners? Often the old burners only need a good cleaning. If the valve in question is only a local inline shutoff valve, that's about $15 or less.

Where I live, there's a shop that does nothing but sell and work on LP gas. A place like this would most likely be able to check the unit for operability, provide a good installation, and would probably charge less than a typical RV shop. For instance, they've custom fabricated a 3-foot LP hose with fittings for about $16 (with most of the cost in the fittings, not the hose).
: Full 60 seconds or it will keep shutting off.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I would think most boat heaters that are ventable would be okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne H View Post
: But years ago we used a kerosene heater in the Foxhole where I slept but I kept the hatch open so I would not die in my sleep.
But there are quite a few little Boat heaters that are now vented that might work but they are not cheap, also you can buy a trailer or MH Heater with stat stop and start this way u do not have to go outside when it is snowing or raining to start it cause standing in the rain for a minute is not fun.
These RV heaters cost anywere from $0.00 to $700.00 I see good used on line a lot but if they are 15 years or older it is getting hard to find parts for them so make sure they are a little newer.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium