Interior compartment coating on trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: matt
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
New Jersey
Interior compartment coating on trillium 1300

I have a 1975 trillium 1300 that I have under restoration, I am about to run all the new wiring and I thought to myself " these bare fiberglass compartments are really ugly looking. I want something that would look like subwoofer enclosure carpeting to line the compartments( but too many intricate cuts and hard to get to areas, actually using that material), does anyone know of a sprayable substance that can be used instead of manually carpeting the compartments( like they do on newer class A motorhomes)? Also that would be flexible enough for road travel, something with some texture? Not really looking for sprayable undercoating here( no rubber) thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
slipknotfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: dawn
Trailer: U haul ct 13
West Virginia
We used a product called deck restore 10x purchased from lowes. It's thick and textured and can be tinted to any color. I also didn't like the bare fiberglass look on our uhaul ct so I painted that product in all the storage areas. I went with a bold red color.
Attached Thumbnails
20161205_171411.jpg   20161205_171446.jpg  

20161205_171553.jpg  
WV Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #3

Name: matt
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
New Jersey
Thanks for the reply, I know exactly the stuff your talking about. That is a good idea, and it has held up well with the flexing of the fiberglass while towing??

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
slipknotfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #4

West Virginia
I'm still in the midst of a massive rebuild on my camper so I can't comment on towing experience with that one. I do have this on the floor of an enclosed trailer that we use as a job trailer for construction though. Its been about 3+ years in that trailer and it has held up perfectly. It has seen a ton of use and been towed all over the backwoods mountains we live in without showing signs of needing any touch up what so ever. I have no worries or doubts with using it in the FB trailer. It gives the storage areas a nice finished look.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
"Deck Restore" huh? I hadn't heard of this product but it sounds interesting. My only cautionary thought would be whether it is suitable for interior use. I got pretty good results using three coats of acrylic although it wouldn't give the mat look.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

West Virginia
It's ultimately up to you ofcourse and while it's not marketed for interior use I see no adverse effect to using it inside the storage compartments as discussed here. It's basically a very thick textured paint used to fill imperfections in old deck wood so im not sure what interior use it would even benefit. In our case however, we were looking for something to fill over the fiberglass hairs, conform easily and create a uniform finish and this has achieved all of that. There are no harmful fumes and it dries hard which only seems to strengthen the fiberglass surface it's applied to. We tend to think outside the box which is the foundation of our camper rebuild

Tags
trillium