Hi from Bill & Jeanie in NC - want to see an EggCamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Hi from Bill & Jeanie in NC - want to see an EggCamper

Jeanie and I and our Labradoodle Lucy have owned two class C motorhomes over the past fifteen years, our last a Sprinter based Itasca Navion. We're looking for a small camping trailer we can pull behind our 07 V6 Rav4 with 3,500 lb tow capacity. I'm 6'4" so from reading your posts it appears that the EggCamper, Parkliner, Escape 19 and Lil Snoozy might work. We don't need fancy - just a 78" double bed, wet bath, single width dinette, and basic kitchen with around 2,500 lb max road weight.

We visited the Lil Snoozy factory and were quite impressed with the shell design which encapsulates a layer of foam between the inner and outer shells. However the lack of a black tank, only a garden hose fitting on the gray tank, a full 8' wheel width on a 6'8" wide trailer, awkward underbed storage, and lack of a dinette made it impractical for us.

I've tried to contact Parkliner by phone & email but have not been able to talk to anyone. Not sure what is happening with them but I do like many of the design features.

The Escape 19 has a nice floorplan but it looks like the heavier weight would be pushing the capacity of our TV. They seem to be oriented toward standard RV features (no awning windows or compressor fridge).

I've talked to Jim Palmer at Egg Camper and was quite impressed. They seem to have migrated to one design with few options but we can probably live with that. If anyone has an EggCamper within reasonable driving distance of Asheville, NC we would sure like to take a look at it.

This is a great site and we'll appreciate any help you can offer.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post
The Escape 19 has a nice floorplan but it looks like the heavier weight would be pushing the capacity of our TV. They seem to be oriented toward standard RV features (no awning windows or compressor fridge).
Welcome.

Escapes are highly customizable. I would certainly not call them "standard rv features". That arena belongs more to Scamp or Casita. Hardly a one leaves the factory without custom this or that. Escape will also work with you on literally dozens of options. We put over 9K worth of options in ours and that was not the full list.

There ARE awning windows in the Escape. The bottom half of several windows tilt outward. You might be looking at some older photos on their website. Escapes improve every year and many of the website photos are now several years old.

If you want a compressor based fridge on an Escape, the limitation is 22" wide because it has to fit through the door. They don't use a larger back window like some manufacturers in order to fit a wider fridge, because the larger window affects the structural strength of the shell. The integrity of the shell is a standout feature on an Escape. All the interior components are attached to mounting blocks which are fiberglassed in. There are no rivets or other fasteners piercing the shell. In fact, it's a one piece shell. before unmolding the bottom and top shell, the molds are placed together and the halves are fiberglassed together. The 'belly band' is simply cosmetic.

Escape does not install the compressor fridges, but some owners have retrofitted one themselves. Of course, you'll need solar panels if you want to make compressor refrigeration practical for boondocking.

As for the 19, that's never going to be at the weight you describe, but the 17 is close. It's a fine unit, as the many happy owners will attest.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
There is at least one person on this board who uses a Rav4 V6 with a 17` Escape. I use it with a 16` scamp without any issues.Good luck with your search. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
There is at least one person on this board who uses a Rav4 V6 with a 17` Escape. I use it with a 16` scamp without any issues.Good luck with your search. Carl
That would be Jon Vermilye, and he's very happy with it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Bill and Jeanie. NC here also.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #6

North Carolina
I kind of ruled out the Escape 17 because of the 74" interior height and marginal bed length, otherwise plan B looks quite adequate. The lady I talked to at Escape seemed unfamiliar with what they could and could not do, or even what a compressor fridge was (or a three stage converter for that matter). If I call back I'll ask to talk to specific people mentioned on this site.
Bill

quote:

There ARE awning windows in the Escape. The bottom half of the windows tilt outward. You might be looking at some older photos on their website. Escapes improve every year and many of the website photos are now several years old.

If you want a compressor based fridge on an Escape, the limitation is 22" wide because it has to fit through the door. They don't use a larger back window like some manufacturers in order to fit a wider fridge, because the larger window affects the structural strength of the shell.

As for the 19, that's never going to be at the weight you describe, but the 17 is close. It's a fine unit, as the many happy owners will attest.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Welcome. We are Tarheels to. 60 miles southwest of Asheville.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
8th Annual Eggscursion Townsend, TN
04-16-2015 to 04-18-2015

hi Bill and Jeanie
we are going to townsend to look at camper
this would be to do for you to all kinds of camper to look at about 3 hours i think
we rented a cabin
have fun maybe well see you
Claus
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It looks to me like your will be vary hard pressed to find all of your requirements in an FGRV that has a maximum weight of 2500 lbs.
Here is a link to our table of "Real World Weights":
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

As you can see, there's not much under your 2500 lb. limit that can fit the features you require.
Good Luck...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

North Carolina
Does anyone happen to know the GVWR of an EggCamper. On the factory site there is no real listing of specifications but 'FAQ' does say that 'gross weight' is 2,500 lbs. There should be a metal tag on each trailer stating the GVWR. I assume it should be around 3,500 lbs as I think that is the rating of the axle assembly. That would mean the carrying capacity is about 1,000 lbs.

Another question about the EggCamper - is there any provision for determining the levels of the fresh, gray, and black tanks?

Thanks, Bill
Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #11

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Bill,

Our 2010 EggCamper's real world empty weight is 2,520 lb, but that's with three 12V batteries mounted on the tongue. About 320 lb of that transfers onto the tow vehicle's hitch (12.6% empty weight) leaving 2,200 lb of camper riding on the 3,500 lb axle. Ours did not come with a tank monitoring system, but I think I've seen on this forum where others have added such a device from a third-party vendor. For what it's worth, it's not hard to see the fresh water level through the side wall of the tank in an EggCamper. I've been meaning to take a black Sharpy and add some fill graduation marks on the outside of the freshwater tank, but it's a relatively moot point for us since we always hook up to shore water and sewer whenever possible. I hope that makes sense and helps.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #12

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Eggcamper to view

You are welcome to view mine in Jacksonville, Florida. Pictures of it, including interior shots, are on this site. I drove from Jax to Fort Meyers area to see my first and only Eggcamper. Then placed my order.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #13

North Carolina
Wayne
I appreciate your offer. After looking at more details on the EggCamper, Jeanie and I have decided that the Escape 19 will better fit our needs. Unfortunately, that will possibly mean a different TV.
Bill
Old 03-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #14

North Carolina
Dale
Thanks for the information on your EggCampers road weight - 2,500lb is about what I guessed it would be. I was told by another source that the tag on the tongue says that GVWR is 2,500. I can't understand why the manufacturer would specify a 2,500lb GVWR and use a 3,500lb axle assembly. Maybe he is just overly cautious or perhaps there are other components in the structure that aren't up to the 3,500lb rating. My main concern would be that if an accident occurred with over 2,500lb total trailer weight there could be legal ramifications. The GVWR issue and a few other details have caused us to think that an Escape 19 may better meet our needs. If I can keep the road weight around 3,000lb I'll still try to tow it with our V6 Rav4 (3,500 max tow, 350 tongue).
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
If I can keep the road weight around 3,000lb I'll still try to tow it with our V6 Rav4 (3,500 max tow, 350 tongue).
I wouldn't, but my buddy tows his 19 with a Hyundai Santa Fe ( 3,500 tow / 350 tongue ). He is looking to increase his tow rating when he purchases a new vehicle.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Wayne
I appreciate your offer. After looking at more details on the EggCamper, Jeanie and I have decided that the Escape 19 will better fit our needs. Unfortunately, that will possibly mean a different TV.
Bill
Common loaded weight for an Escape 19' is 3700-3800 lbs. If you do want to see one, you can ask Escape about who has one in your area. Any questions, I will gladly answer.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Common loaded weight for an Escape 19' is 3700-3800 lbs. If you do want to see one, you can ask Escape about who has one in your area. Any questions, I will gladly answer.
Cathi
3,700lb sounds high for a unit the mfg claims ~2,600 for without options. What did your's weigh in at on the sale papers and what do you carry that is so heavy? I did talk to Escape and found a 19 just 15 miles away that I'm going to see tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actual trailer weights support the heavier weight for Escape 19's with dual axles
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

I personally can't see how anything less than a bare bones unit can come in at the mfg's specifications: The 19 Foot Escape

And with about 75 options listed, some of which will add substantial weight such as thermal pane windows, larger refrigerator & stove etc, it's no surprise that they gain weigh fast.

As it "seems" that the personal "stuff" added to the typical trailer amounts to 400-600 lbs, and even more in some examples. I'd sure plan for a minimum of 4000 lbs towing capacity just to have a little reserve.

Let us know what the seller is telling you about weight.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Quote:
Wayne
Bill
Hi Bill & Jeannie,

We initially dismissed the Eggcamper because of lack of propane. But reconsidered after seeing how many owners had installed propane in their Eggcamper. A good used 2012 came along and we bought it in Nov of last year and we've been very happy with it.

The frame tag on our lists 2500# GVWR. Our weighed at 2380# at the local truck stop with all our stuff in it and ready to go camping. Burt we are lightly loaded as we are towing with a 2014 Subaru Outback, which tos it very easily. Eggcamper is about 20% frontally larger Egg than Scamp or Casita, so we lose 1/2 of our mpg. It's averaged 16mpg since we left on Jan31. The car averages 32mpg without the trailer. Next year, We might just tow with a larger vehicle like a Tahoe or Small pickup and get almost 16mpg.

After weight and tow vehicle considerations were met, The #1 consideration was, and is still, the bed size. Eggcamper comes with a Full size bed, which can easily be modified to an almost Queen size bed. #2 is the 2 person dinette that you don't have to disassemble the bed to use. #3 is the Toilet/bath that we use very little, but's nice to have at night or when dry camping, or when far from the campground toilets.

in the end , I installed propane, but found almost no use for it, so I left the 20# tank and propane stove at home when we stopped mid-vacation. Supermarket deli/salads/entrée items, fast food, and the wonderful 12v fridge are our friends on this vacation, but others mileage may vary. We are sightseeing and staying no more than 4 nites at any one campground, and have little time to cook, even though I like to cook.

GL on whichever type you decide on

Mark & Linda
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper