SOLD: 1985 Companion camper-like UHaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Companion

Click image for larger version

Name:	salead.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	22610
After careful consideration, I'm selling my 1985 Companion 13' molded fiberglass camper. My family loved the idea of having a camper, but with our schedules and our daughter's allergies, camping just doesn't fit into our lives. This is definitely a project, but a very worthy and practical one. The exterior of this camper is nearly identical to a UHaul. The interior doesn't have a gel coat interior, it's rough matting. The windows are also squared off, but the door's window is rounded.

My original plans were to clean it up and use it as-was, but I found a great deal of water damage and moisture under the vinyl floor someone had placed over the carpet and plywood floor. Once I started demo, I ended up with bare walls and ceiling (the green color is adhesive) and a soft plywood floor (needs replaced). I was going to do some smoothing of the rough matting, a little fiberglass resin where needed, then paint it with good primer and eggshell paint. It would look very presentable and clean that way. I was going to paint the exterior the same color. There appears to be only one coat of paint on the camper.

The cabinets were also very rough, but the remaining paneled pieces are usable as-are. There is some repair work needed to make them more solid, but again, they're a good starting point. My plans were to paint them the same color or a contrasting color. The table is in good condition as are the mouting socket and pipe. I bought a new flush mount socket for the floor mount. I also have new hinges (UHaul style) and new water/electical accesses for the outside.

The inverter is there and seems to work. The original fridge is gone, but a usable dorm fridge is included. The cook top is there, but no gas lines or tank remain. I was going to go through it, then cook with the small propane tanks used for camp stoves. The propane tank brackets are now removed from the hitch. The exhaust hood is in good condition. The water storage tank and sink look good (never tried faucet). The microwave in the picture didn't work. There is a roof vent, but no heating or air conditioning.

The windows should probably be removed, then resealed. The mechanisms are decent and functional on the big windows, but need to be repaired or replaced on the smaller ones. The original window mounting system used plywood framing inside and screws through the window frames to hold them in place. I was going to make or buy trim rings, then mount them in sandwich fashion to the fiberglass with bolts.

The "Companion" stickers have been removed since these pictures were taken, as have some other markings, hardware, etc.. There are still some small leaks during heavy rains, but my makeshift door seal solved most of the problem. The old vinyl flooring seemed to be the biggest contributor to the floor damage. I believe that resealing the windows, fixing some small cracks, and making a better door seal (with the new hinges) would stop all leaks. The camper has been dried out well during the summer and doesn't have a musty odor, etc..

The lights worked when I towed in in March, but weren't too bright. Better grounding might do the trick. It has a 1 7/8" ball hitch with safety chains that seems solid and 13" tires with spare. The tires hold air, but have weatherchecking. The frame and hitch seem very solid. The jack works fine and has a wheel. The trailer pulled very nicely with my '97 S-10 Blazer. I have the title in hand. Located in Union City, IN (east central) near Richmond and Muncie Indiana, Dayton Ohio. This could be a really nice camper and a starting point for a custom project.

See more pictures here:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/g...anion%20Camper/

Additional pictures available upon request.

$600

ph. (765) 964-5621
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
With your permission .... Consider it SOLD!
Thank You
Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Sold. Thanks, Floyd!

Quote:
With your permission .... Consider it SOLD!
Thank You
Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Sold. Thanks, Floyd!
Hey Floyd will you sell it to me when your done restoring it?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hey Floyd will you sell it to me when your done restoring it?
I will certainly make it available and wish you luck! This is a real cool camper in a lot of ways, and very solid!
I presently have (4) 13ft fiberglass campers in line for a turnaround...
Cadet, Scamp, Companion, and Compact Jr. plus I bought a 40 year old project car today!
I think I had better get busy!

Tags
companion, u-haul, uhaul