Newbie looking info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Searching for the right FGRV
Maryland
Thanks to all once again. I really appreciate the input from everyone. We are just beginning our research into the rv traveling world and I'm sure we will rethink many of our first impressions as time goes on. Certainly if we can get by without a 4 season rig we won't want the additional expense and weight. According to the Scamp website their trailers are currently manufactured with R15 insulation and the construction technique they use should eliminate sweating of the interior walls and ceiling, I believe.
By the way, we are attending the Lancaster, PA rally on October 5th. Hope to meet some of you there.
Best Regards,
Bob
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyH View Post
....According to the Scamp website their trailers are currently manufactured with R15 insulation and the construction technique they use should eliminate sweating of the interior walls and ceiling, I believe.
B...
See:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ies-71044.html

I'm sure the Scamp interior linings are good, but not R15 (esp with all the windows!) and condensation will always be an issue in trailers used in winter.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Last spring we had to overnight at temperature down to ~26F and it was windy (Pennsylvania). The tanks were far from freezing, but the gate valves were stuck, so dumping was done at a station somewhere along the way, when the daytime temperatures were well in the 40's.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have never seen sweating on the interior walls or exterior walls in the Scamp. We see sweating on the windows, particularly around the dinette where we sleep. We carry a shammy and simply wipe them off in the morning.

We've had an 1997 RV with thermopane windows. Eventually the thermopane windows began to fail and had condensation between the panes. The solution was expensive.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #25

Colorado
Scamp should say: "We use Reflectix insulation which is capable of providing R15 value."

The walls are fine as far as condensation goes, but the single pane windows and their aluminum frames sweat a lot, especially in the humid parts of the US. Even more when you boil pasta without blowing out the steam!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #26

Maryland
In such a small enclosed space excess moisture has to be a constant issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #27

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Hi Bob. Welcome to the FGRV forum! We have an older 17' Bigfoot (a 1987) and camp quite a bit in the shoulder seasons (the best time to go IMO!). We've never had any issues with anything freezing in our trailer. I don't know the specifics of how the plumbing is set up in other FG trailers, but in our Bigfoot none of it is exposed to the exterior, everything is totally enclosed between the FG shell and the interior floor of the trailer so you do get some protection from the freezing temps. Because Bigfoots have a kind of laminated construction you also have the insulating qualities of the styrofoam-like layer to provide some protection too.

We often camp where we will have electric hook-ups if we know it's going to get down to near or below freezing. That way we can keep a small electric heater going in the trailer. We found a small oil-filled radiator type that we like because it's totally quiet but we also carry a small cube heater with a fan for more instant heat. If we are boondocking we use our furnace. We have a 100 watt solar panel for recharging our battery.

A bigger issue for us in cold weather camping is condensation in the trailer. The single pane windows can get pretty drippy, especially here in the moist Pacific Northwest. A good reason to head to the Southwest for the winter where the more arid conditions can really help alleviate that problem.

Oh, and on a side note, if you have a water hook-up at a campground it's important to disconnect your water hose before you go to bed or you'll wake up to a frozen hose!

Good luck in your search. If you find something, grab it. Good used FG trailers go fast and if you snooze, you loose!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #28

Colorado
None of these trailers is hermetically sealed, like some modern homes which require electric power to avoid suffocation, although that Oliver I mentioned above seemed to be quite tight.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #29

Name: Edwin
Trailer: B17 1989
Georgia
If you are in the southeast I'll show you my 1989 B17 model. Can not tell you how much we love it. Ed
Edwin and Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #30

Maryland
We will be in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. If that is near where you live we would love to see it!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #31

Maryland
Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has provided guidance as we embark on our adventure. We have booked into 2 rallies, a Casita rally in Lancaster, PA and the egg rally on the Outer Banks. We are very excited about meeting new friends and gaining knowledge from experienced RV"rs. See you on the road.
Best Regards.
Bob
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #32

Name: Edwin
Trailer: B17 1989
Georgia
Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyH View Post
We will be in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. If that is near where you live we would love to see it!

Feel free to contact me at Tainanesh@gmail.com
Edwin and Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #33

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
I'll be at the Outer Banks event with my almost new Bigfoot 17.5FB. Come on by.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #34

Maryland
Eggs in the Outer Banks

Jack,
We look forward to meeting you and seeing your rig.
Bob
Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 AM   #35

Maryland
During the past 7 day period my wife and I attended 2 fiberglass rallies. The first was the Casita rally in Lancaster, PA and 2nd was Eggshells in the Outer Banks. We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all of the people who took the time to share with us their knowledge and experience and allow us to look at their rigs. We learned a lot and are now much better prepared to make a decision about what best suits our specific needs. Special thanks to Joan and Jeannine who hosted the rallies. I attached some photos of our very first egg, compliments of Jeannine. We love it although our hope is to end up with a slightly larger one.Click image for larger version

Name:	October 12, 2015 013.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	89617

Click image for larger version

Name:	October 12, 2015 015.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	89618

Click image for larger version

Name:	October 12, 2015 020.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	89619
We hope to see all of you again.
Bob
Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Newbie looking info

Welcome, Bob!

I see I missed your earlier posts as I was traveling at that time. I originally hail from Harford Co., but I've been in AZ since I graduated from Loyola University (Loyola College back then).

Sounds like you're jumping in with both feet. Rallies are a great way to start. Now that you've seen quite a few eggs, are you still leaning toward a Bigfoot? Did you run across any Escapes? They have some extended-season options, without being as heavy or pricey as a true 4-season trailer like Bigfoot or Oliver.

Best wishes in you "egg hunt." The little one is a nice start!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #37

Maryland
Thanks Jon

Old 10-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #38

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
I hope that you are having some luck researching the camper that it right for you. Just wanted to say that I also attended a rally prior to owning my Casita and was welcomed with open arms - even invited to attend the dinner and other activities. At a rally this past weekend, there were several people there who were still "shopping" for the right rig! As stated already, most FG owners are very willing to show their camper and are very used to being asked about them. Good luck!

I hadn't read all of the recent posts before writing the above comments. Sounds like you are getting lots of information at the rallies, etc.! If you pass through Franklin, NC on your way to or from Atlanta, you are welcome to look at my new Casita Spirit Deluxe 17'. It will be in town around Thanksgiving!
Susan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #39

Maryland
Susan,
Thanks for your offer to stop and see the Casita. My wiffe and I would love to meet you and take a look at your rig but we are flying to Atlanta at Thanksgiving time. I am sure you will enjoy it. Casitas are great trailers and their owners are supported by a warm and generous group of fellow Casita owners. Our experience at the rallies we attended in Lancaster, Pa and the Outer Banks were exactly as you described. The owners there took a lot of time to show us their rigs and talk about the pros and cons of different layouts. We were invited to attend a tech talk session where owners discussed modifications, problems and how they had been addressed and shared how they had upgraded their units in all kinds of ingenious ways. They shared their food with us and we could not have been made to feel more welcome. Maybe we'll see you at a rally sometime.
Best Regards.
Bob
Old 10-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
2500 Series Bigfoots

Hi I presently own a 1999 21rb 2500 series. 21 ft trailers in Bigfoot were the first four season but they came in 1500 series also. In 2005 they brought in the new mould for the 17 ft trailer and made it a four season also as all models are 2500 series now. The Bigfoot is not expensive because of the four season package it is because they are the Best of the best in the fiberglass trailers. My trailer weighs 3700 lbs empty. It is the quality of the product that makes the Bigfoot what it is today, My trailer is 16 years old but looks brand new. Anyway good luck shopping . Crazy Canuck Rick
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot