Numbers of Scamps vs Casitas on the road? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #1

Name: Lorrie
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Numbers of Scamps vs Casitas on the road?

Good morning!

As we look for our first camper to purchase, I’m intrigued by the sheer number of Casitas vs Scamps we are seeing for sale. It feels like it is almost 7 or 8 Casitas for every one Scamp. Does anyone know the production numbers? (PS - we are looking for a Scamp 16 layout 4 or 19 standard just in case you are selling...).

Thanks!
Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Fiberglass RV for sale site has more Scamps listed than Casitas. Every market is different, but I have found Scamps to be much more common. Of course, like all molded trailers, neither is "common" and both sell fast.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

TN
Thanks. Still looking for actual production figures if anyone has them. If only for curiosity sake.

And as to Scamps outnumbering Casitas: interesting. That’s not been my experience but since I’m not looking for a 13 footer, it may be the Scamp 13’s that skew the results. I am looking nationwide, not a specific market. Mostly using this forum and Molded FB RV Facebook page. One other complicating factor in perception may be that we’ve only been looking for a month or so. Perhaps more Scamps pop up in the months ahead.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Well, if you ignore Scamp 13 numbers, thats a big part of their production. So its going to skew the figures.

Be sure to check the fiberglass RV for sale site. Of course, many molded trailers sell within one day, and sellers don't always update their ads.

Since there are relatively few molded trailers for sale, a single month is not a good representation of the market. In the last month for example, I've seen more Trilliums for sale than I have seen in the last year.

Its not all about recent production numbers. Some trailers have not been made for a decade or more. Its a tribute to the longevity of molded FG trailers that there are so many survivors out there! Some brands have been making trailers for close to 40 years or more. Others are relatively new to the business, maybe the last five or ten years.

Availability is more about how many trailers of a particular brand have been made over the years, and not so much about the last year or two. In addition, some trailers tend to be trade up models (models people start with but then move up to a larger unit). While others tend to be the kind of trailers people move up into.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:45 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There is a 2000 Scamp 16 on eBay, located in Houston Texas, but it is layout 6
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
Good morning!

As we look for our first camper to purchase, I’m intrigued by the sheer number of Casitas vs Scamps we are seeing for sale. It feels like it is almost 7 or 8 Casitas for every one Scamp. Does anyone know the production numbers? (PS - we are looking for a Scamp 16 layout 4 or 19 standard just in case you are selling...).

Thanks!
The current guess at production numbers can be found in this thread
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post703775

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I believe Scamp has been around a lot longer than Casita. Thus likely more total production still in service. However late model production of Casita could well be higher.

Casita camper being more likely to be late model, newer models will be more likely to "churn" in the market. People in the market for late model campers who own one my decide to sell and buy another that is larger, newer, or with different features. Older campers tend to be kept for longer, after you fix up a 25 year old Scamp you really don't want to sell it. By then it's almost family. :-) Possibly like an annoying in-law but still family.

That is just a guess but people with older cars tend to keep them, people with newer cars seem more likely to trade them in, monthly payment more like leasing to use than buying to keep. Seems to me the FGRV crowd is much the same.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I believe Scamp produced just under 500 trailers last year and about 70% were 13s.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's a sellers market in the Spring, a buyers market in the Fall. Brands seen/sold are often based on proximity to manufacturer. You'll find more Scamps in Minnesota, more Casitas in Texas and more Escapes in BC and on the west coast of the USA.

I belong to all the major forums and a dozen or more all-molded Facebook groups. I've seen plenty of Scamp and Casita owners that now own Escapes. It typically has to do with size and layout, rather than 'quality.'

There is NO best all-molded towable. What's best for one, won't work for another. Figure budget, tow vehicle maximums, layout needed/wanted, minimum condition that's acceptable (used market) and if buying used how far you're willing to travel to buy.

In the end, love the one you have, go as often as you can and make great memories often.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe Casita is more like 800/year, with perhaps 80% or more being 17' models. That makes the Casita 17 the single most popular molded fiberglass model in recent years, with the Scamp 13 second. Escapes are selling well, too, but their production appears more evenly spread across their model line, with no one model dominating.

How many you see from each manufacturer is somewhat dependent on where you live. Proximity to the factory is certainly a factor.

Like the OP, I typically see 8-10 Casitas for every Scamp. I attribute that both to Casita being a little closer and a large retiree/snowbird population that appears to gravitate toward the larger Casita 17 among molded trailers.

The two units you are looking for- 16S-L4 or 19S- are among the less popular Scamp layouts currently. They are also among their older designs, so many that do come up for sale are 15-20 years old or more. Inspect carefully.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just looked at the CASITA web page. Showed picture of a long line of new trailers on their lot. And, some mention that they just might have what you want in stock. I always thought that both Casita and Scamp only built to order.
WC
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Just looked at the CASITA web page. Showed picture of a long line of new trailers on their lot. And, some mention that they just might have what you want in stock. I always thought that both Casita and Scamp only built to order.
WC
When we visited both the Scamp and Casita factories both had new trailers for sale sitting on there lot . Not many and from what we were told they from customers who cancelled their orders . We toured a beautiful Scamp 16 ft Deluxe at the factory that was supposed to be picked up 6 weeks earlier but the customer failed to show so it was up for sale .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I purchased # 15,028 from Casita on May 22, 2018. I was told by Casita they make about 800 a year. Casita has been in production since early 80’s. Scamp has a decade on them.
Cajun Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
There are just over 15,000 Casitas. They hit that mark in early May. (We got ours in late April.)
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #15

TN
Thanks to all for their info here. Lots of variables to consider for sure. Looking forward to learning more as we continue to search for the perfect fiberglass camper!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #16

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Dave View Post
I purchased # 15,028 from Casita on May 22, 2018. I was told by Casita they make about 800 a year. Casita has been in production since early 80’s. Scamp has a decade on them.
My understanding is that Scamp was owned by at least 2 brothers in the beginning. Some time later one of the brothers decided to start hatching his own FG trailer, very similar to the Scamp. Then that brother moved to Texas, where Casita is currently hatched.

Mark
Old 07-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
WC
I think you will find that even if Casita has 40-50 trailers setting on there lot they are not for sale, all sold and waiting to be picked up. It is true that from time to time they have a cancellation of a trailer that has already started into production and yes it is up for sale. I have been there several times and only one time did they have one for sale, but don't go there expecting to find one available. Also remember that Casita does deliver there trailers all over the U.S. and some are just waiting for delivery when the customer is ready, plus they do built a trailer for export to foreign countries. All being said, Casita is run very smoothly and on schedule.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #18

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
what trainman said. sometimes, someone cancels their order for a casita, so it will be available. casita used to also take used casitas as trade ins for new ones, not sure they still do that or not. usually jonathan posts a cancelled trailer for sale on www.casitaforum.com & The Casita Club - Home for Casita Travel Trailer Owners and Prospective Owners when there has been a cancellation & no one is in line for the same floorplan or options as the cancelled one.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp