83' 13' Casita remodel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
Hi All.. The wife and I got this new to us Casita... This is going to be my summer project..this is how it looks to start I had already pulled all the cushions and the date on the pics are wrong ..my bad didnt set the proper date..
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #2

Who killed Tweety in Here
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #3

Canary Yellow has got to go....I'm am in the process of dyeing it choclate brown.. pics to follow in a few days ..
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #4

update on carpet dyeing I think it has gone rather well...
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
update on carpet dyeing I think it has gone rather well...
I think it has too How about some information on what kind of dye, how did you apply it, approx drying time, etc. We've had members that wanted to rip out the shag carpet because they couldn't stand the color. This might be a fix they'd consider.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
I think it has too How about some information on what kind of dye, how did you apply it, approx drying time, etc. We've had members that wanted to rip out the shag carpet because they couldn't stand the color. This might be a fix they'd consider.
I thought about ripping out the carpet, But decided to try this 1st... as my friend said its Canary Yellow you cant mess it up any more ...
ok...... I used Dark Brown RIT dye.. first I mixed a lil bit of dye and salt and water in a hand spray bottle and sprayed the mixture in a place that wouldnt be seen to see how it would take... it seemed to do well so I mix 2 bottles of dye and 1 cup of salt to 1.975 gals j/k of water in a 2 gal pump-up sprayer and went to work spraying in on then rubbed it in with a rag. in some places I used the hand sprayer to get it in deeper I did saturate the carpet pretty good ..it made me a lil nervous ..but all the glue held the same ..it has been dry for about a week now and it doesnt seem to rub off or any other problem at this time. as for the counter tops and fiberglass I kept a rag soaked with bleach/water near by a would wipe any dye the ran on it and it would bleach right out .. [b]Now I make no claims ... This is just how i did it... it took about 2 days to completely dry with it above 80* during the day.. I ran an elec heater in it some when it was cool...during that 2 days I also would respray some areas the looked lite or where the yellow stilll showed .. I still ave a few lil spots that I will do touch ups but over all it cost me about $10 and took about 6hrs to do... I hate to think what tearing it all out and doing something else would cost in time and labor.. But this was cheap fast and easy and worked very well in this senerio....Hope this help anyone...

anyone trying this just remeber to try it under the sink or inside a storage area first to see what you think FIRST...
Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Nice Job Phillip! I was one of those who wanted/would have ripped it out, had we kept our trailer. Unfortunately our 85's carpet was blue, it would have been hard to dye. I thought about it, cause years ago my Mom dyed a Class C carpet brown cause it was light light tan when they bought it. It worked well and held up for many years of camping. She even used a carpet cleaner at least once a year on it.

Keep the pictures coming! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

well I'm tackling the counter top and a/c right now and I am removing the refrigerator ..
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #9

Well I learned today not to use plywood for counter tops or doors it splinters and just looks bad.. so I will be replacing the board under the microwave.. I mounted the microwave to the board, then mounted the board to the cabinet, which covered the nasty hole left when someone removed the stove top.. so I will be redoing the board later and I will need to be looking again for a 1/2 " solid wood panel .. to do it and the cabinet doors in..
Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

Any pics of how that A/C is installed / vented?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

The A/C when I got it consisted of a window air sitting under the bench with a vent hole cut in the front with a vent cover... problems with this ... water leaks on the floor and if its raining the water off the tires and under the vehicle blow right in ..

I had another window A/C exactly like it in better conditon so I started from there and had a pan built sat the AC down in it and mounted it in place which also gave the front bench more support.. and ran a drain out .. and replaced the vent with a filter grill this way I can take piece of plexi and easily put it inside to prevent water from entering while traveling ...
Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #12

$15 later I'm here

Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #13

and the intake vents are like this on both side of the front bench ...new filter grill on front $20
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #14

I need ideas on how to touch up the fiberglass gelcoat inside and out ... I figure I can fill the holes and chips with bondo but how do I get it to match ..or am I best to bondo and repaint the outsides when I all done and same with the rest of the interior ???
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
$15 later I'm here
That's a fast answer!!! Thanks. What's the vent in the floor for?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
That's a fast answer!!! Thanks. What's the vent in the floor for?

intake air .. this is done on both sides
Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One typically fills in chips and dings in gelcoat with gelcoat. I wouldn't use bondo, nor would I use any other type of filler like that unless I were going to paint. Gelcoat is about the only thing that you can use to blend right in with other gelcoat (and indeed, there's no reason not to use gelcoat).

Here is a link to an article explaining the process (geared towards boats but there is no practical difference):

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm

I also see that there are some "gelcoat repair" videos on You Tube, but I can't watch them on this computer, so I can't recommend or "un recommend" them.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #18

before and after new door hinges... Wow I cant believe how it changed... I had to re drill new holes and my wife held it in place so I could line the hinges up properly... It came out much better than I had hope.. I'll have some before and after inside shot later this evening I'll post..

Tags
casita