16 ft scamp vs casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I made up my mind to purchase a fiberglass (either casita, or scamp) this summer. I'd like to have a toilet inside., so I don't have to pull the porta potty around. we have 4 people (me+wife+ 2 kids). so I am thinking about either 16 ft scamp or 16/17 ft casita.

I have honda odyssey 2004, tow rating 3500lbs. I'd like to stay (comfortably if possible) within the tow weight range, as I may have to drive on steep mountain roads.

so did anyone do the research before, scamp vs casita ? suggestions are highly appreciated.
jim yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Jim, you can't go wrong with either. They are both quality coaches that have more in common than they have differences. There are some differences between the brands in construction; neither particularly has the edge over the other in longevity, value, or comfort. If you're buying new, buy the one you like. If you're buying used, find the one that is in the condition you're looking for, and has the features you want at the price you're willing to pay at a distance you're willing to travel.

One isn't "better" than the other... they're both excellent trailers.

The Odyssey is a great tow vehicle, and will do well with either brand's 16' trailers. I'd be a little less excited about towing the Casita 17' because of the tongue weight. Make sure whatever you get has trailer brakes, and that you get a Prodigy or P3 brake controller (or equivalent).

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Roger pretty much summed it up. I have owned both, my Scamp was a 16' and I have had a 17' Casita for almost 3 years now,. I do believe the Casita is a little better built, price tells you alot.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Jim,
It will probably be easier to find a Scamp with a side bath - front bunk bed - rear double bed combo you seem to want.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
so did anyone do the research before, scamp vs casita ? suggestions are highly appreciated.
Hi Jim,

Have you called Scamp and Casita to see if there are any owners nearby you that are willing to show you their trailers? It's a great way to really get a feel for what each of them is like.

Additionally, if you live in northern California you might want to come up to the Oregon Gathering at Bullards Beach State Park, OR, from July 16-19, '09. You'll be able to tour [b]many makes and models of trailers, and may discover another brand(s) that also interests you!

best wishes,
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I was looking to buy used, I would have considered any brand of molded fiberglass towable as long as it was in the condition I wanted, at the price I could afford and within driving distance. I own a Scamp and love it. But, I think I could love {enter brand name here} just as much. We're in the beginning stages of camping season here in the Pacific NorthWET, trailer prices are rising due to supply and demand.

I think you need to start a pro/con list and enter things you absolutely can't live without and price. Let that be your guide, rather than brand... if you're buying used. If you're buying new, I think you should also consider the Escape. Here's a link to the Escape trailer specs: Escape Spec Page. If you're looking to buy used, be certain to print out the Buyers Check List and take it with you whenever you go to look at a trailer: Buyers Check List as a PDF

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

#1. Location: california

Quote:
#2. we have 4 people (me+wife+ 2 kids).

#3. I am thinking about either 16 ft scamp or 16/17 ft casita.

#4. I have honda odyssey 2004, tow rating 3500lbs.
I tow a 16' Fiber Stream with a 2003 Honda Odyssey that is fully equipped per the owner's manual.
I thought you might want to consider the following:

#1 & #3 Link to topic: PTI registration in California
If you wish to save considerable money on registration and license plate renewals, don't consider a 17' trailer (DMV code= CCH);
Scamp and Casita both make 16' models. (DMV code = CMP)

#2 & #4 Link to declining Odyssey tow rating with increasing passenger load
Even [b]with both the Transmission and the Power Steering coolers,
With 4 persons in the Odyssey, your maximum tow rating drops to [b]3200 Lbs.

Link to list of required equipment to achieve maximum tow rating
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I dont know what part of Cali you are in, but escape might be a closer drive for you to pick it. Note Escape does not use rivets which some people like, others don't mind. front table can make into bunks for the kids. My vote is also for trailer brakes. take care.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Can't tell you the difference since I have only owned a Casita, and love it! But at 3500 tow rating your gonna be pushing it with a Casita. Our 2007 weighted in at 2800 pounds all tanks empty except the propane! Good Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
It's funny how we each perceive the differences in these trailers.

I have a 16' Scamp Side Dinette now and over the weekend I went and looked at a 16' Casita near here with the upgrades in it already I am planning to do to the Scamp.
I figured that if the Casita was clean and all else being equal I may sell the Scamp and buy the Casita thus saving myself from doing the big mods.

When I arrived it was immediately apparent that the Casita sits way lower to the ground and once I walked in it was also much shorter inside.
Many here will discount the importance of the interior height but for me it is a deal breaker.

I guess it is just how I "Roll".

I also didn't see any part of the Casita that I felt was nicer except the exterior Gelcoat finish and maybe the thicker fiberglass overall.
The Casita was hardly new but it had not aged nearly as well as my Scamp and there was just not as Comfy a feel about it.

I realize that how both are optioned explains some of the difference but the interior height is just what it is and I won't accept it now that I am used to standing straight inside,I really like it.

I think the 17' Casita is at least 500lbs heavier if optioned the same way.
I was really hoping the Casita called to me too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #11

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Quote:
Hi Jim,
It will probably be easier to find a Scamp with a side bath - front bunk bed - rear double bed combo you seem to want.
i totally agree, we are also a family of 4 that camp together, we recently went from our 17 Casita Liberty Standard that had the king size bed and front bunks, we all slept comfy , but after two years with no bathroom, we decided to get the 21ft bigfoot

We did like the 16ft scamp with side bath that had the bunks up front..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
We bought our 16' Scamp new last year. We have layout 4 for hubby, myself and two girls. We love it!
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
We went with the Casita because that extra foot means more than you might think.

However, we looked at Scamps and they're an excellent trailer, too. They're both great!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Scamp . . . Casita . . . both are great choices with very similar pluses and minuses and both can be towed by your Odyssey. When we were looking for a trailer for ourselves we found the two trailers have a different "feel" once you're inside. So it pays big dividends to be patient, wait for a nearby Fiberglass RV gathering, then visit and ask various trailer owners to give you a tour of the inside of their rigs so you can figure out which "feel" is better for you before you buy.

One other thing to consider: The Scamp factory burned down a few years ago. They've rebuilt their factory since then and turn out a trailer that is built just as well as any they made before the fire, but they did make one very welcome change in the 16' trailer you should know about: they increased the ceiling height. So, when you are touring, do make sure you know whether the trailer you're looking at a low-ceiling model built before 2006 or a high-ceiling unit built after.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
One other thing to consider: The Scamp factory burned down a few years ago. They've rebuilt their factory since then and turn out a trailer that is built just as well as any they made before the fire, but they did make one very welcome change in the 16' trailer you should know about: they increased the ceiling height. So, when you are touring, do make sure you know whether the trailer you're looking at a low-ceiling model built before 2006 or a high-ceiling unit built after.
Just so this is very clear....
Although the newer post-fire Scamps are taller inside than the pre-fire Scamps even the pre-fire 16's are taller than a 16' Casita.

By several inches according to my HEAD!

Some people don't mind the shorter interior but it was a deal breaker for me.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

You may consider a 17' Escape

http://www.escapetrailer.com/Index.aspx?Pa...andardEquipment

It can be picked up in Sacramento, CA. I understand.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp