Bathroom comparison: Scamp 13' vs. Casita 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello all,

Just joined the forum and am in "research mode" for an egg, although I pretty much nailed it down between Scamp 13 w/shower package and Casita 13 PD based on my situation.

My question is, how do the front bathrooms compare in terms of size, features, convenience of use and maintenance, etc?

I've been through the websites of both compaines, plus searched the forums here. Some "user feedback" would be most appreciated...

thanks

Jeff
Jeff V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

I can not say about the 13' Scamp. I have a 16', not sure if the showers are the same size or not (13' & 16'). If you are comparing new trailers, the 13' Scamps now have the same heights as the 16' Scamps. I have never gotten to see inside of a Casita of any size, therefore can not compare them. I believe the 13' Casitas have less head room and are not as tall as the 13' Scamps. Older Scamps before '07 for sure, have less headroom than the new ones for sure. After the fire at the factory, they made new molds.

From posts I have read, the showers (Scamp & Casita) seem a lot alike, but the Scamps have a different way of getting the waste water to the holding tank. At least ours has a inline pump which pumps the water to the holding tank. There is a "toggle" switch to turn it on and off. Casitas, I believe, the water just flows to the tank, but there has been post about having to open a value before showering and closing it after to keep water from backing up into shower. There has also been several post about a U trap (can't remember the correct term) something like a P trap to keep odor from moving from the tank into the shower area/trailer. It seems to hang down under the trailer, maybe. Not real clear on it. Scamp by using the shower pump does not have this feature. It does have an inline filter which has to be cleaned at least once a year. Easy to do, but one must get under the trailer to do it.

Oh, yes, I am 6' and have plenty of head room showering. But with the floor cover I added to cover the shower floor area (without it the head was a little too high, even for me and my wife is 5'3") I can use the head easly, but I never stand to use it, always use it seated. Keep splash from happening, learned this with other RVs when someone visiting did have a seat when using them.

One more thing. I asked them at the factory about the marine fabric which covers the walls in the Scamps (It is in the showers as well on the ceilings and down the sides away), how does it hold up to wet conditions. They said it does not mold, is water repellent. It has proven to be a true statement. It is not a carpet but a fabric with a metal insulating material under it all glue on the walls and ceilings. I have grown to like the stuff. This all I can think of to mention.

I am adding some photos of our Head & Shower. Some with & some without the Floor Covered a mod I added by using a flooring material and a piece of carpet Scamp had over the floor from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Head__Shower.jpg   Head__Shower_Covered.jpg  

Head__Shower_UnCovered.jpg   Shower_Cover.jpg  

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp Deluxe 2005 (Pre fire). The front bathroom is much like Adrian's photo. The room includes the shower and I use the shower while sitting on the lid of the toilet. I find it quite comfortable even with my 6' height and considerable weight.

Like Adrian I put a little "lift" in the shower pan to "improve" the geometry of toilet use.

Quote:
Hello all,

Just joined the forum and am in "research mode" for an egg, although I pretty much nailed it down between Scamp 13 w/shower package and Casita 13 PD based on my situation.

My question is, how do the front bathrooms compare in terms of size, features, convenience of use and maintenance, etc?

I've been through the websites of both compaines, plus searched the forums here. Some "user feedback" would be most appreciated...

thanks

Jeff
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback--exactly the kind of info I was looking for! The pics helped a lot.

Now to arrange a road trip to the Scamp factory when I visit my folks in Iowa this month...
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

Red face

We do not use the toilet as a seat while showering, we want to keep it as dry as possilbe so we do not have to dry it or behind it, etc. We added an adjustable shower rod from Wal-Mart and bought a heavy duty shower liner and curtain off the head/toilet. Works very well. But have not taken a photo of it. We often cover the window to keep it from collecting water as well. I am working on a design to curtain it off as well. Just the window.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #6

That makes a lot of sense to protect the toilet are from getting wet--I'd think it would be a nice place for mold to start growing in the nooks and crannies... When I first read the solution I wondered if that left enough space to comfortably shower, but from a second look at photos maybe this is feasible. I'm 5'11" and average weight so probably is OK.

Nice idea for the floor mod when shower is not in use. BTW, is the shower pan recessed below the base floor level for additional headrooom, or is it just an optical illusion from the photos?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
From my observations, while the Scamp and Casita front bathrooms are virtually identical, there are minor differences. The most notable are the windows. Scamp puts a small one centered high in the front of the trailer. Casita puts a larger one to the side, behind the toilet. Casita has a small powered exhaust vent available, in the ceiling over the shower. I have not seen this in a Scamp. The black tank is vented low to the side in a Scamp, while Casita plumbs a vent pipe to the roof.

The differences in the shower drains were mentioned by Adrian.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I will try and run out and take a pic of a Casita bath, though ours is a 17 footer I would think the baths are about the same. As far as the issue Adrian spoke of, I have never had an issue with the valve! Unless I left it open during travel. Then yes, the grey water will splash up into shower floor. As far as smell from this configuration, Never had an issue with it. Of course we don't do a ton of boondocking and I watch my tanks so they don't have issues.

The Casita shower is all fiberglass so no fabric walls. Can't comment on those as I have never even seen them. The casita Bathroom is a breeeeeze to clean, Just wash it down. The fan Frederick mentioned is wonderful! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Unhappy

Robin, RE: As far as smell from this configuration, Never had an issue with it. I was not implying Casitas get smells migrating from the holding tank into the showers, but they are designed with the P-Trap or whatever it is called to keep from getting any.

There are some photos of the shower drain and the value I mentioned at this link:
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...hl=shower+drain

Is the P-Trap needed?

Maybe new location for the value in the new Casitas, I believe they were outside before.
Another post concering the shower drain.

Mainly the ceiling is fabric, not the shower walls in the Scamp.

Yes, The black tank is vented low to the side in a Scamp, while Casita plumbs a vent pipe to the roof as Frederick mentioned. Makes the Scamp a little unforgiving if one trys to "top off" the black tank before emptying. It becomes an overflow vent. I did not think of that before trying to extend dumping one more night.

No camera to be able to show the pump, etc of the Scamp system. Left it in Tucson last month at my daughters.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
Quote:
Robin, RE: As far as smell from this configuration, Never had an issue with it. I was not implying Casitas get smells migrating from the holding tank into the showers, but they are designed with the P-Trap or whatever it is called to keep from getting any.

There are some photos of the shower drain and the value I mentioned at this link:

Is the P-Trap needed?

Maybe new location for the value in the new Casitas, I believe they were outside before.
Another post concering the shower drain.

Mainly the ceiling is fabric, not the shower walls in the Scamp.

Yes, The black tank is vented low to the side in a Scamp, while Casita plumbs a vent pipe to the roof as Frederick mentioned. Makes the Scamp a little unforgiving if one trys to "top off" the black tank before emptying. It becomes an overflow vent. I did not think of that before trying to extend dumping one more night.

No camera to be able to show the pump, etc of the Scamp system. Left it in Tucson last month at my daughters.
Here a easy fix for the front P trap on every Casita...
http://www.hepworth.co.nz/HepVo-Intro.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I look under a Casita/Escape/Oliver the stucture is a one piece all fiberglass and the Scamp seem to be in wood like the original Boler. Maybe this is nothing to be worry about but I prefer sealed structure Escape have the same sealed stucture of the old Trillium No little white smarties

JEFF If you buy a brand new rig I suggest you take a look to what Escape trailer offert, they got a good quality product. I you look for a use one then stick with those name still in business today because finding parts for a old egg is a real pain in... Good luck in your search!
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #11

Arrow

Giles D,
Correct on the flooring. Scamp does have wooden floor without fiberglass under (sealed stucture). Edit add: With the fiberglass risen coating the Scamp marine flooring in a way Scamps do have a sealed under-side without it being a structure doing the sealing. IMHO.

As for concern about the Scamp floor, I am not. All the RVs I have had, had wooden floors without even fiberglass risen on them as Scamps have. Except the pickup campershell, our first RV. The others were a Komfort Lite ('83, 20') Travel Trailer & a Couchmen ('96, 22') C-class MotoHome. Had the TT for about 10 yrs, MH for 7 years, no problems with the flooring.

I have read many posts about the wooden floors of the Casitas rotting under the fiberglass and many suggested from being a sealed structure so to speak. I am sure some older Scamps have had floors to rot, but I'm sure I will be long time gone before our Scamp has a problem, unless a bad leak happens and not taken care of.

From my readings, it seems water can get traped under the fiberglass and not dry. After seeing the fiberglass under-side of the Casitas, it looked very good, seemed like a great idea. But not concerned any not have it. Looks good for sure. Seems to me to just add some extra weight to the TT have a double flooring system and still not a sure fire way to keep rot from happening, maybe causing it to happen in someways. Still it sure looks good. I do not believe it is a deal breaker one way or the other. IMHO, of course.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #12

Red face

Concerning Rotted Flooring: I notice a post over at Casita Club today with that topic. But not really related to bathroom comparison, I do not believe a 13' Casita with a bathroom would have a front mounted A/C. But since floor rot was brought up, it is a good read. None of the Scamps 13' or others have front mounted A/C. But this is centered on floor rot.
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/ind...showtopic=6223

Point I am making, with or without a fiberglass sealed stucture under-side, means little to stop floor rot & may make it more likely.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
I already read this post Brian and my 17SD got a front A/C , I already change the original A/C for a more lightweight and modern unit. I add (inside stucture)a bug screen on the side and floor vent and jack the front of the A/C arround 1/2 inch before sealing and fixing everything in place.
(The new unit is 1/2 less in H and 1/2 less W) It's easy to remove the front Closet floor to take a look , I test my installation and everething is find , I even notice the new unit produce less water drip condensation.

I really prefer a fiberglass floor stucture but you got a good point, water trap under the wood floor stucture is maybe not a frequent issue but Escape/Casita/Bigfoot/Oliver...Can be affected if the plumbing leak....Well any floor RV will be affected so prevention prevaled.

Back to the subject of this post I dont know wich one has the biggest bathroom but I really think putting the vent for the black tank on the roof is more secure... You know methane is a inflammable gaz and if you crack a match arround you got a fireball... If you see someone smoking around your Scamp follow him with the fire extinguisher!
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp