Ordering new Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #41

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Charley Whiskey, Floyd is correct. Carpet is standard and linoleum is optional (extra cost). Good luck with your purchase. I know you'll be happy with your Scamp. Prediction: This will be one looong winter for you!

Tango-Kilo-out
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #42

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Long Winter it will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Charley Whiskey, Floyd is correct. Carpet is standard and linoleum is optional (extra cost). Good luck with your purchase. I know you'll be happy with your Scamp. Prediction: This will be one looong winter for you!

Tango-Kilo-out
Yes, Tom a long winter it will be. Eveland could have got my Scamp to me by November, but I have to be in San Francisco for the Holidays to be with my daughter and her new baby. Take care
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How exciting is it to wait for your EGG to be hatched! As is said.. been there, done that. But I STILL get excited for those folks that are waiting for their very own hatchling. GOOD TIMES AHEAD!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #44

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 16' Scamp; tow vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape V6
Michigan
I'm bumping this to the top since it is such a useful thread. Thanks for all the tips!
Keweenaw Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #45

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 19'
Texas
Registry
I picked up my 19' last November. The only thing I really hate is the foam door seal. It really sucks.
billydon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #46

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I asked about the foam door seal. The answer was the door is to tight and new for the larger "D" seal would make the door almost not close. Still thinking of changes for my order. Have till spring.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydon61 View Post
I picked up my 19' last November. The only thing I really hate is the foam door seal. It really sucks.
Bill, We added the rubber seal, as suggested by Dave and Paula and it seems to work well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenaw Bob View Post
I'm bumping this to the top since it is such a useful thread. Thanks for all the tips!

"Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot." http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #49

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydon61 View Post
Bill we picked up our 13 at Backus in August. The open cell foam seal started falling off after it rained. I called Scamp after reading about others with the problem. Scamp sent me the closed cell "D" shaped seal, no charge. They recommended I hold off as long as I can before I install it, because the fiberglass door was still taking a set. They also said they are working with a seal manufacturer to come up with a different design. If they don't have the new design by Spring; I'll go with the one they sent. I've talked to others using the "D" shaped closed cell seal with good results. Hope this helps. Oh....and welcome to the forum!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #50

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
As of a couple weeks ago Scamp is now delivering new trailers with closed cell door gaskets!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #51

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Our first Scamp (2012) had the foam seal replaced by Scamp after two months. It didn't stop the water at the bottom but it was certainly better than the one installed at delivery.
Our new Scamp to be delivered in April 2015 will have the new seal on delivery.
And seeing as this is about ordering a new Scamp.. While we were at the factory we found out you can get a 13 Deluxe with the small bed (44 inch). So if you want the deluxe interior and like the standard size bed it can be done.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #52

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2015 SCAMP Sixteen-Footer
Michigan
We're picking up our new 2015 Scamp 16' Standard Layout 6 in Spring as well. I'm under the impression we'll have the new seal, too. The 12 foot awning is now standard on the 16'. Other refinements include the Cherry finished laminates and the antique bronze hardware on the Standard's interiors. Our's will also have the larger refer, A/C, upgraded battery, exterior GFCI outlet, tongue light, reading lights, cable hookup. After reading the comments here I will probably add another interior 110 outlet.

Getting "hitched" later this week, hopefully. I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 and am getting the factory hitch installed at a local dealership. It will be rated for 6000 lbs, which is more than I need with the Scamp, but I don't have to worry about warranty issues and such since the dealer is doing the install. They have to program the SUV's computer for towing and such.

Going to be a very long Winter knowing this will be waiting in the Spring
charleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #53

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
On our prototype closed cell door gasket we used a 3/4" square closed gasket on the threshold which has worked well for many years now.
Another point... The new Scamps now come with a plastic trim on the bottom 2-3" of the door. this will keep the door cleaner and provide a better surface to seal the bottom door.
Still keep in mind that a Scamp, while a 13 looks like a "bobber", it is not designed to float!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleeb View Post
We're picking up our new 2015 Scamp 16' Standard Layout 6 in Spring as well. I'm under the impression we'll have the new seal, too. The 12 foot awning is now standard on the 16'. Other refinements include the Cherry finished laminates and the antique bronze hardware on the Standard's interiors. Our's will also have the larger refer, A/C, upgraded battery, exterior GFCI outlet, tongue light, reading lights, cable hookup. After reading the comments here I will probably add another interior 110 outlet.

Getting "hitched" later this week, hopefully. I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 and am getting the factory hitch installed at a local dealership. It will be rated for 6000 lbs, which is more than I need with the Scamp, but I don't have to worry about warranty issues and such since the dealer is doing the install. They have to program the SUV's computer for towing and such.

Going to be a very long Winter knowing this will be waiting in the Spring
I would also add a 12V recep. I forgot to add it on mine. I just brought mine home last month - the awning, kick self. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #55

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
You can get a second door put in the side closet in the Scamp 13 standard. You can also get a closet rod in the front closet in the lower part for hanging storage.
We also have had a 110 outlet in the top shelf of the same closet for charging items when you have electric hookups

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #56

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
"Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot." http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules
Thanks, Ken. I wasn't bumping it to "pad post counts"; it is an extremely informative thread and was getting buried. Sorry if I misunderstood the rule.

Bob
Old 11-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #57

Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
We picked up our 16' deluxe this October, and having spent over 25 nights in it already, and towed it over 5,000 miles, here's some comments/suggestions about options:

1. Include every possible light fixture and electrical outlet, inside and outside
2. Get all cabinets offered. The cabinets over the big bed restrict head room while sitting at the big dinette, but since we leave it set up as a bed and use the side dinette for sitting around, it's not a huge problem, but I'd have appreciated a "heads up" from the factory.
3. I wish we had known about the heat strip option in the AC. I may have opted for that.
4. Not sure we'd go for the 3 speed in and out fan along with the AC. Those two , plus the furnace, make a lot of machinery dedicated to moving air around.
5. I really like the wheel fixture for the tongue jack. It makes it possible to jink the trailer around enough for hitching it up without too much precision backing. It's very convenient in my driveway.
6. The roof-mounted AC adds some weight up high, which I suspect contributes to a small sway problem. It also makes the trailer pretty high, which adds to ferry fare here in Washington State. Doing it again, I'd consider other options for the AC location.
7. During the factory tour, I noticed there was another unit getting "above the belly band" tail lights, and I was intrigued, especially after reading the remarks about visibility for high-hooded vehicles following too close.
8. The "D" shape door gasket also is intriguing, but the open cell gasket we got seems to work ok so far.
9. If there is an option for some sort of plastic toe kick cover on the door, I'd buy that in a second. The bottom foot of the rat fur on the door gets dirty, especially in wet climates.
10. We got the linoleum floor, and are delighted. It's much easier to keep clean and seems very attractive.
11. I don't know if they are options or not, but I added a small fire extinguisher and a grab bar in the door way; and my wife is making more colorful curtains as I type.

You are going to LOVE your new trailer!

cg

(and I see I need to change my signature file)
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #58

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Chuck, your sway concerns are a loading/tongue weight issue, it has nothing to do with the roof air. Get a bathroom scale to check the loaded TW. I got a new one off Ebay that goes to 450# for $25 as my TW is 364# ready for travel. No problems with sway, even in the sidewinds I've had to drive though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #59

Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
<Squawking 7500>
There's lots of discussion elsewhere about sway, some of which I've read. I understand about tongue weight, and I've started fiddling with it. I hope I'll be able to post some results, once I'm convinced I have the issue in hand,
<Squawking 1200>

That whole subject might be something to discuss with the factory, as one is ordering a new trailer.

Cheers!

cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #60

Michigan
Hi Beardrum,

Just a note on your item #4: as I understand it, the fan will work off the battery whereas the AC needs an electrical hookup. That would be a reason to get both.

Headroom with side cabinets - how tight is it? I've looked at a bunch of pictures and it looks like several inches of space when people are seated there.

As to the wheel on the jack - I'm considering ordering that but wondered if there is any issue with trailer movement when parked and unhitched? Even with wheel chocks I'm afraid that the tongue wheel could allow a minute amount of pivot when moving around the trailer. Thanks for any insight on this.

Tags
scamp