Add BAL jacks to my scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Add BAL jacks to my scamp 13

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	78498[/ATTACH]I added BAL low-pro jacks to my Scamp today. Really nice addition and will make campground set up and leveling much faster and easier. I wanted the adjusting screws to face the rear of the Scamp and that meant the jacks are about 12 inches further aft than I first expected (had to clear the gray water valve). Still they are a foot forward than the flip down factory struts. I have no welding skills so I used a treated 2 x 10 screwed to the frame to provide a broad flat mounting surface. One drawback of this is the jacks are 1 ½ inches lower and extend further back than conventional mounting. I don't think I would recommend my method had I not already lifted the Scamp 3 inches. This lift gave me plenty of ground clearance to allow my unconventional orientation.

Reason for facing the jacks rearward. My Scamp lives in my narrow garage when not on the road and that is the main reason for facing the screws rearward. I could not reach one side otherwise. I considered reversing one jack and having a 4 foot extension on my adjusting tool and adjusting both from one side, but that seemed cumbersome. If you mount the regular crossways orientation I don't see ground clearance being a problem on an unlifted Scamp.

Also I'm looking forward to having a few more pounds on the rear since the Scamp has been a bit tongue heavy since leaving Backus.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp