Smoky Mountain Recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Christopher
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
Michigan
Smoky Mountain Recommendations

Hey guys!

My Wife and 2 year old are planning a trip to the Smokies this summer.

We'd love to hear where you guys went.

We generally like rustic camping that allows us to park (back in or pull through) out 13' UHaul. Campfire a plus.

No power necessary, and we generally like to be more secluded.

Fishing, trails, etc. nearby is a plus too.

I've just begun my search so I'll be combing through a lot of other info too - anything you guys can recommend would be very helpful!
cjwebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwebber View Post
Hey guys!

My Wife and 2 year old are planning a trip to the Smokies this summer.

We'd love to hear where you guys went.

We generally like rustic camping that allows us to park (back in or pull through) out 13' UHaul. Campfire a plus.

No power necessary, and we generally like to be more secluded.

Fishing, trails, etc. nearby is a plus too.

I've just begun my search so I'll be combing through a lot of other info too - anything you guys can recommend would be very helpful!
Mile High Campground, on NC side, about 10 miles up the Blue Ridge Parkway. No hookups, but nice campsites that overlook the valleys below. The campground does have showers and is secluded.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Check out the campground at Cades Cove. Lots of trails, and the loop around the old settlement is beautiful and very educational. And we've never stayed at this one, but have been told that Elkmont campground is great also.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Check out the campground at Cades Cove. Lots of trails, and the loop around the old settlement is beautiful and very educational. And we've never stayed at this one, but have been told that Elkmont campground is great also.
Make your reservations a year in advance if you want to get in!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
where

I have camped at the national park several times just drove in plenty of empty places. take your rig and ask for a tent site that you can back into in. plenty of toilets and showers for you.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I agree with Cades Cove & vicinity, whether you camp there or day trip. Smokey Mountains is one of the few National Parks with no admission fee. It was part of the deal.

Don't worry, Dolly Parton and others have provided plenty of ways to separate you from your cash. Pigeon Forge is a very touristy town worth a little time, or maybe have a meal.

If you've never been to the Biltmore, take a day trip, to Asheville, NC, or camp there.

A section of the Appalachian Trail passes through the Park. The Park has had fires since I visited.

How could I have forgotten the highlight of my trip? Be sure to snap a picture in front of The Salt & Pepper Shaker Museum, Pigeon Forge. Ha!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #7

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Tennessee
Deep Creek Campground

We love Deep Creek Campground near Bryson City, NC. Beautiful streams and seemingly secluded although Bryson City is about three miles away. Also in the Park is Smokemont Campground in Cherokee , NC about eight miles from Deep Creek. Both are great family places with lots for kids to do.
jobruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
If you would like a secluded, out of the way fantastic (no elec or water) campground(s) along a rocky river with trout fishing , try this:

Go to Tellico Plains, TN, take Cherohala Skyway east to River Road on your right.

Many well maintained campgrounds/camp sites, some paved or graveled, level, and right on or close to a smallish rocky, clear running river stocked with trout from a state hatchery located on the same (River) road.

You should drive the whole length of the road to the turnaround, after which the road is very narrow and may be impassible for larger rigs. Maybe 15 miles or so from Cherohala to the turnaround. The reason is that you may take a campsite only to later drive the rest of the way in and kick yourself for not looking at other sites. But they do fill up during camping season in the summer.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #9

Missouri
biltmore

hard to believe Ashville is the result of Biltmore isn't it. Vanderbilt picks out a place in the country to throw that mansion.

I was amazed at the steps outside so people wouldn't be bothered with the help!

I think 357 rooms way about my pay grade all those artisans stayed until it was completed!

bob
Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #10

Missouri
clingsman dome

put clingdoms dome on your list I have climbed it 2x no more

bob
Old 01-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2018 Escape
Texas
Smile Great Smokety Mountain Natl Park

We camped at Cosby in the GSMN Park. It always has available campsites even in the peak season. No power or showers but water and nice toilets are available. Streams and trails are plentiful. Secluded and quite. About a half hour drive to the main park entrance, but fine for day trips throughout the park. Dont miss Carver's Orchard and Apple House and the foothills Parkway drive to I40! We loved it!
Chuck G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Last year we camped at Elkmont, a beautiful CG. It was half closed, and the open half was half full, but it was the end of March. Lots of spring flowers, but the Rhododendrons were not open yet. The big fire scars should be much less visible than last year and the damaged trails below the Chimneys might be repaired and open. Elkmont is sort of central to the park area, but there are actually very few roads. Lots of hiking trails, though. Cades Cove is a fascinating place to explore.
How about this barn:
Attached Thumbnails
P1030257.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
One of our favorites in the area is Horse Cove, a small (18 site) USFS campground in Nantahala National Forest. Flush johns and central water - no dump station. Its on the NC end of the Cherohala Skyway referenced in Henry's post above. The sites in the upper section have a bit more privacy.

Link to Horse Cove and other Nantahala NF campgrounds and dispersed camping opportunities. There are several sites along FS81 which starts near the NC entrance to the Cherohala. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsn...a/?recid=48924

Great Smokey Mountain Railroad from Bryson City to Nantahala Outdoor Center is a nice trip. The train wreck in The Fugitive was filmed here and a few of the cars can be seen at the bottom of the gorge along the route.

Smokemont campground is good - even numbered sites F02-F08 and F34-F40 are along the nice creek.

Cataloochee is a National Park campground with several sites along a creek. A few miles of one lane twisty mountain road to get in but we've been there in our Scamp fiver several times and its not nearly as bad as many say. Guaranteed to see elk here. Reservations are required.

Lake Powhatan campground in Pisgah National Forest is just outside Asheville. Sites are available with and without power. Clean restroooms with showers. NC Arboretum (free) is next door. Cradle of Forestry is worth a half day or more.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Cosby is on "your side" of the Park if that would make a difference. I haven't been there and I think one reason it's often open is that it's on a stream that's usually considered too small to bother with trout fishing (I'd usually take that as a challenge, but again, never been). I think all of the other CGs are on sizeable streams, with trout up and down from the CG, as well as hiking trails leaving from them. Most streams have smallies in the lower stretches if, that's more your taste. I know nothing about the area lakes.

No showers or power at any of the NP sites, but as they say, neighboring towns can accommodate. https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...ry-camping.htm

If you get adventurous in your trout fishing, I've always heard it said that those fishermen who drop down from Clingman's Dome into the upper portions of Deep Creek make two trips into that creek in one day; their first and their last (it's supposedly a bit much coming back up). If fishing is a focus, there are a few good guide books; Don Kirk, Jim Casada, and Ian Rutter all come to mind.

And the Trails Illustrated map of the Park is definitely worth getting; endless hours of winter planning.

Al mentioned Horse Trough, and that's a nice area too, although not as networked with trails. The Cradle of Forestry is an interesting trip, and the Blue Ridge Parkway above it is definitely worth a drive, but not right next to the Park.

Have fun.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Friends of ours who live in Homossass Florida are turning 70 , retiring and moving to Franklin Tennessee ( Health Reasons )
We are contemplating going down to visit them and wondering if any one has any suggestions for campgrounds in the area ?
They bought a home in the mountains near Franklin but we don't have an exact location.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Friends of ours who live in Homossass Florida are turning 70 , retiring and moving to Franklin Tennessee ( Health Reasons )
We are contemplating going down to visit them and wondering if any one has any suggestions for campgrounds in the area ?
They bought a home in the mountains near Franklin but we don't have an exact location.
Franklin, Tennessee, not Franklin, North Carolina, right? The NC one is in the mountains, the TN one is near Nashville, and far enough away from the mountains that a place in the mountains "nearby" doesn't really help find a campground near the mountain place; they could set out for a 2-5 hour drive in a couple of different directions for a mountain place. Really, the whole eastern end of TN is a possibility (any of which should have some good camping options nearby, when you find out).

If you're looking for a recommendation around Franklin, I don't know of any suggestions, but there should be plenty. A few Civil War sites there, if that's your pleasure, and of course, Music City stuff.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
If you are talking Franklin TN, then I would suggest Defeated Creek, it's a Corp of Engineers campground on a lake just east of Nashville. I can also recommend Henry Horton State Park in Chapel Hill TN. It's 5 minutes from our house, and we could come by and you could feed us
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Try here. Franklin, TN Campground Reviews - Best of Franklin Camping - RV Park Reviews
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #19

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Moving to Franklin, TN from FL for health reasons? Say what? I live in TN and like it, but it ain't for health reasons. IT ranks 3rd in air pollution in the US. In the top 10 for almost any other type of pollution.

Moving to the mountains near Franklin,TN? What? Hills maybe, not mountains.

This does not compute.

But on the off chance that you are talking about staying near Franklin, TN then probably Henry Horton State Park would be closest to Franklin. If you want to play in Nashville there are plenty of places nearby to park an RV.

Natchez Trace Parkway runs near Franklin by the way.

You can catch the lower end of the Appalachian Mountains near Chattanooga, and drive north from there, if you really do mean you want to camp in the mountains.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #20

Missouri
thunkin

henry I admit it has me thunkin too but maybe there is just something about tn. but its no doubt the attractions me I live far enough from branson and lake Ozarks to just pass through from time to time!!

bob

Tags
eco