Refinishing Trillium Stovetop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
Refinishing Trillium Stovetop

I am looking to refinish the 3 burner Stovetop in my 15ft. Trillium. It looks like a Chrome Brushed finish and it is starting to rust. I don't care what finiish is put on but don't want to have it painted. So if anyone out there knows how or who can refinish it I would appreciate it very much.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0115.jpg  
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Name: jeff
Trailer: trillium
Ontario
I have the same thing. My only thought is if I could find a place to get it done in porcelan sp?
bluenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
I am looking to refinish the 3 burner Stovetop in my 15ft. Trillium. It looks like a Chrome Brushed finish and it is starting to rust. I don't care what finiish is put on but don't want to have it painted. So if anyone out there knows how or who can refinish it I would appreciate it very much.
Those stove tops are brushed stainless steel . If the rust is not too deep one can use a sanding sponge for metal ( have bought them at Home Depot ) or a grinder with a fiber disc can do a fair bit . If the rust is too deep one can still remove the rust but it will leave mark - like less evenly brushed . That is my experience .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My solution would evolve around cleaning it really well with "Zud" and then making a nice looking stove cover. You probably need the extra counter space anyway.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Same thing here but worse - I've been assuming that high-heat enamel would work. Anyone with pros or cons on this option?
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
Same thing here but worse - I've been assuming that high-heat enamel would work. Anyone with pros or cons on this option?
I used high temperature engine spray paint on mine. It seems to handle the stove heat just fine, but is susceptible to scratches and chips from pans.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
rusty stove top.

I had mine sandblasted and powder coated at the local hot-rod shop.
I did it in white and there was a wee bit of yellowing in the burner area. I will use black if I do it again.
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Camelford View Post
I had mine sandblasted and powder coated at the local hot-rod shop.
I did it in white and there was a wee bit of yellowing in the burner area. I will use black if I do it again.

How did the SS standup to scratches and abrasions? My only problem would be finding a local Hot Rod Shop.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
What about:
Fawcett Motor Carriage Antique and Classic Cars

1 block south of Rossland on the West side of Brock St. in Whitby? I'm sure they would know who does it locally.

As an offside there is supposed to be a great place for Fibreglass and Gel coat, near the Oshawa Centre.
RAYPLEX Fibreglass Material Fiberglass Material Epoxy Carbon Fiber Resin
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
powder coat

just look for anyone who does powder coating (yellow pages - for eg ). Make user that you get Hi Temp stuff...the coating used for for manifolds and wheels...
The powder- coated top is fine, but my grates had enough play in them due to weak springs and the cast iron grate left little scuffs on the stove top after a long (and bouncy )trip to Florida.These days, since I rarely use the stove, I store the two grates separately.

Cost was about $3o

I also had the frig shelves done ...they were getting a bit rusty where the long strips met the shelf frame...came out good!
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

Registry
I went to Fawcetts Hot Rod Shop and they said that they do not do Sand Blasting. They directed me to a local monument shop that will do sand blasting for $35.00. I took it there and was surprised how quick they did the job and it turned out great. I then went to a Fireplace store and bought black spray paint that will withstand up to 1200F. The only problem that I think I have is that it will not stand up to scratches. But I can live with that. When I put the trailer to bed for the winter I will remove the stovetop and store it in my house so that it will not rust.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02492.JPG  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #12

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
looks great!
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #13

Name: Lyndee
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Thumbs up Stove top

Wow!! That top looks new. I must try to do the same thing to mine. Thanks for sharing.
Lyndee in the Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Alex, you did a very nice job painting. I believe that you can also purchase the 1200 degree paint in a clear, if you want to add a shine and another layer of protection from scratches.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 AM   #15

Registry
Where can I purchase the paint and what is the brand. Thanks for all your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
trillium