Electronic Brake Controller? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Electronic Brake Controller?

I need some help. I will be getting my Parkliner at the end of January and am trying to get my 2011 Ford Ranger set up for towing my Parkliner (it has a tow package).

I'm looking for recommendations on what brand, make, model of Electronic Brake Controller I should get.

My truck has a flat 4-pin connecter so I have to upgrade it to a 7 pin round. Are all 7-pin round connectors the same? Is there a difference in any of them?

This is my first travel trailer and first time towing, so I would appreciate some guidance from some of you experienced people.

Thanks!
Sandy
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 is extremely popular, readily available and more than adequate for your needs. Amazon and Etrailer have them.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

Name: constan
Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13
California
I came across this recently, it might help.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ring-codes.pdf
constan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 is extremely popular, readily available and more than adequate for your needs. Amazon and Etrailer have them.
Thank you for the information. I'll look it up on both Amazon and ETrailer.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #5

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by constan View Post
I came across this recently, it might help.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ring-codes.pdf
Thanks! I really like the diagram.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
I need some help. I will be getting my Parkliner at the end of January and am trying to get my 2011 Ford Ranger set up for towing my Parkliner (it has a tow package).

I'm looking for recommendations on what brand, make, model of Electronic Break Controller I should get.

My truck has a flat 4-pin connecter so I have to upgrade it to a 7 pin round. Are all 7-pin round connectors the same? Is there a difference in any of them?

This is my first travel trailer and first time towing, so I would appreciate some guidance from some of you experienced people.

Thanks!
Sandy

Hi Sandra,

Congratulations on your pending Parkliner. Nice!

We just finished our first year camping with our new-to-us Casita and I was purchasing a brake controller last year about this time. I highly recommend a Tekonsha Prodigy product. I got the P3, but the P2 would be fine as well. Our P3 was easy to install and worked flawlessly.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations on what brand, make, model of Electronic Brake Controller I should get...
Tekonsha P3 or P2. Period.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Another vote for the Prodigy line. The P2 and P3 will work the same, so pick the one with the features you like. These units will apply trailer brakes in proportion to the amount of brake pedal pressure you apply.

Many of the less expensive controllers are time based and apply the same set amount (which you set with a dial) of braking, a set amount of time after you push the pedal, no matter whether you apply a little push or a heavy push. This does work, but it can feel more jerky and unpleasant than a proportional controller. I used time-based controllers for many years and was fairly satisfied, but then I got a P3 about 18 months ago and have been very happy I switched.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations on what brand, make, model of Electronic Break Controller I should get.
Thanks!
Sandy
You're lucky Sandy, '11 was the only year the Ranger had the plug and play controller wiring in the harness. I have no idea but there may be a pigtail some where around the flat four to add a 7 pin. Etrailer has many videos showing you how to install it....and most everything else. Yes, the 7 pin plugs are pretty much all the same. Biggest differences would be spade or round pin, make sure to find out which one the trailer comes with, plastic or metal and how they are designed to be opened up for the wiring connections. I've had good luck with the Polak or Hopkins brands.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
👍 P2
Another happy customer

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #11

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
P2

I did my research, and there is so much great data out there on the P2, including install info and videos. I even did the install myself!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
I recently installed a Prodogy P3, ourtanding contfoller. Etrailer is fantastic also
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #13

Name: carol
Trailer: Scamp fifthwheel19 ft.
Pennsylvania
On a fifth wheel Scamp what is the biggest size truck I can get to tow my camper? I want a 4 door(crew cab)? W/4wd? Used around a2014.
gypsy elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #14

P2 PERIOD is the general consensus and for a reason! The P3 is a nicer version but overkill (even the P2 is in a way). I've got the older P2 (red LED display) and that controller has not given ONE minute's trouble in going on 7 yrs and VERY easy to learn to operate. Dont bite for a used brake controller...like my old P2. The newer ones (Blue LED display) will let you mount it at ANY angle....very handy for mounting in out-of-the-way places.

I had to mount/run wires for my 7-pin Hopkins connector along with brake wires etc. Just let me tell ya, Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924 is THE best mail order place to get your trailer supplies like wire, connectors, brake controller. I think someone has mentioned, but they also have LOTS of videos to watch on "how to"s. Very good website AND place to do business.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
P2 PERIOD is the general consensus and for a reason! The P3 is a nicer version but overkill (even the P2 is in a way).....
Actually the P3 has a few nice features that can come in handy, that the P2 does not have. But either will do fine for a egg with brakes (not breaks).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #16

Do tell! Now ole Gordy, you got my curiosity up! Honestly, I think this would be the perfect time for a "comparison" that I'm not familiar with if you dont mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Actually the P3 has a few nice features that can come in handy, that the P2 does not have. But either will do fine for a egg with brakes (not breaks).
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Thanks!
Sandy
Welcome to the ParkLiner "club"
No, 7 pins are not all the same. The one they use actually has 6 flat blades in a circle around center round pin. They are readily available at Walmart. And you will need a mounting bracket to secure the socket to your vehicle.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner