What to look for - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Michel
Trailer: Shopping (for Trillium)
Quebec
What to look for

Hi new to this ,just registered today ,plus i ame french speaking so please bare with mi English writing !
I ame in the market to purchase a trillium 4500 and i have one i Will be looking at,it has been sitting a their cottage for ten years ,i have not seen any picturs yet i ame planning to Go see it live,the owners do not have internet son a little complicated .
I have been reading quitte a bit on the forums on lots of dirrerent Things i need to look at ,i know for a fact the tires are flat ,no batterie,no propane bottle,so appliances will be hard to Check out,but it is complete and original ,ils going to be a project for complete restoration if frame is good and no major water damage Inside ,and a solid floor .
In your opignion what would be a fair price ,I know that pictures would help ,but give me your gut feeling for price I have my idea but would love to see if I âme on tha ball
Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Rolly, the most important thing is to make sure they have the Title to the trailer that your looking at.
In other words...are they the TRUE owners who can LEGALLY sell it to you.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
If the person selling is knowlageble about the value of fg trailers expect to offer between $4000.00 -$6000.00 for a trailer in fair condition .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Print and take this with you when you go. All "conditions" are subjective, but it may remind you of items to check. Good luck!

Buyer's Check List
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Quebec
Will do for sure ,can not purchase without it
Thank you gerry
Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Bien venue, monsier. J'ai petite francaise. Etude for size annes. Pardon me for butchering your native tongue, but my six years of study were over 50 years ago. I hope you find a good RV.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
Will do for sure ,can not purchase without it
Thank you gerry
Your Welcome Rolly, Some will say there may not be a title needed for older trailers but some form of legal ownership must be signed and handed over.
If no papers can be found, go to regestry with seller (present owner of trailer) to get proper paper-work.
If in some cases they will not go with you...be weary...There may be something wrong with ownership.
Also make sure VIN # on trailer is same on legal paper-work.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 AM   #8

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
If the person selling is knowlageble about the value of fg trailers expect to offer between $4000.00 -$6000.00 for a trailer in fair condition .
Hi Mikmay ,Thank You for the info
So for a restored trailer in mint condition what would it go for ,if let say I would buy it at 4000$ and then invest a lot of time and 2000 to 3000 what would it be worth ?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #9

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Print and take this with you when you go. All "conditions" are subjective, but it may remind you of items to check. Good luck!

Buyer's Check List
Thank you Donna ,great reminder and guide ,will use this for sure
Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #10

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Bien venue, monsier. J'ai petite francaise. Etude for size annes. Pardon me for butchering your native tongue, but my six years of study were over 50 years ago. I hope you find a good RV.
Merci Mitzi ,vous êtes pardonné,
Thank you I will find one ,just do not know when !
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #11

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
What's that smell?

Quote:
. . . trillium 4500 and i have one i Will be looking at,it has been sitting a their cottage for ten years , . . .
I highly suggest going inside and taking a good whiff to see if there are any stale odors. (If they have opened up the doors and aired it out before you arrive, there may be a reason.) If it has been kept shut for that long, especially in a humid location, it may have odors embedded in it. I just bought a Burro that has that problem. I have removed and cleaned all the upholstery but it still smells. The carpeting is next.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #12

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
The checklist on this website is a pretty good guide. Depending what your personal skills are, I would suggest getting the trailer to a reputable RV maintenance place and having a pro go over it before you make an offer. If they've been using it as a "bunky" and airing it out regularly, keeping an eye for leaks, bees, rodents etc., it may be fine inside. Otherwise it may a moldering rodent's nest. Assuming that it's okay inside, there are other areas I'd be concerned about, from my own and others' experience:

Gas appliances and lines: I suggest having an expert check these. Mud wasps love to build in exhaust pipes and gas lines.
Electrical: look for signs of inexpert user mods/repairs. If in doubt, get it checked by a pro.
Tires: after this long, expect to replace them.
Frame and floor: how was it stored? If it was in long grass, expect significant rust and/or rot. Ours was fine but in any case, at some point, pull the tie-down bolts to check for rust.
Windows: Check around and under for signs or chronic leaking and rot. Same for roof vents.

As you will see on this website, there isn't much that cannot be restored on these trailers, given enough time, skill, and patience. But do a good assessment before you buy, both to determine how much you should spend and what your own resources are when it comes time for restorations.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #13

Name: B. E.
Trailer: still hoping and praying
Texas
Excellent check list

Thank you! I will use your "Buyers Check List" prior to my next "take off" to be sure all is well before I leave on my next excursion. Just love this site!
B. E. Neis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Hi Mikmay ,Thank You for the info
So for a restored trailer in mint condition what would it go for ,if let say I would buy it at 4000$ and then invest a lot of time and 2000 to 3000 what would it be worth ?
Perhaps as much as $4,000, maybe a bit more.

I tend to put a lot of money and effort into projects that never pay off financially. But, I figure I have enjoyed a hobby and created something useful.

More seriously, there is a website which records trailer sales prices here:

Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Perhaps as much as $4,000, maybe a bit more.

I tend to put a lot of money and effort into projects that never pay off financially. But, I figure I have enjoyed a hobby and created something useful.

More seriously, there is a website which records trailer sales prices here:

Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
If I'm keeping the trailer for my personal use and pleasure I never keep tabs on my spending for materials and labor
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
IF it's what you want, AND you're willing to do what it takes, then you pay what you HAVE to and eventually when you sell, you get as much as you CAN.

If you can't afford it, then that's a different ballgame.

Bonjour und bon nuit! Welcome, and best luck with this! A big adventure starts for you!

BESt
Kai
Seattle
Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

With any trailer that has been sitting for a long time, try to crawl under it to look at the frame...see any rust take a screw driver and try to push it into the rust spot to see if it is rusted through.

Tags
trillium